Y 2 RaY's 2010 RALLIART Sportback

Discussion in 'Members Progress Reports' started by y2ray7697, Jun 2, 2011.

1. slickdevil08

slickdevil08 Well-Known Member

nice ready for da pshhhhh

2. y2ray7697

y2ray7697 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's nice. I can't really get it tuned right though! Even on the softest spring setting that's safely allowed at max boost it flutters THEN blows off. I can't for the life of me get it to work properly!

The only thing I can think of is MAYBE it had been sitting a while and needs to be relubed and cleaned. So I bought some sewing machine oil and I'm gonna lube it when I get off work tonight and hopefully that lets it open fully! It definitely has a more pronounced sound than the stock BPV but I'm more than likely gonna keep it recirculated

3. y2ray7697

UPDATE!!!

I found the BOV issue! I have my boost gauge spliced into the BOV vacuum line. So I'll be moving my spliced line to the vacuum line on the left side of the engine and replacing the vacuum hose on the BOV line! The splice is restricting the airflow for the valve which is causing it to flutter and not open properly.

4. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

Cool. How'd you figure that one out? Lol.

5. y2ray7697

Called turbosmart haha

6. 1slowlance

Lol. That'll work! Whatever gets it fixed, right? Hopefully it all works out well for you, and you get it psshing right.

7. y2ray7697

Haha yeah. It makes sense too i don't know why I didn't think of it sooner! I could even see it would struggle to move the piston when I had my friend rev it...DUUUUHHHH.

But they were very helpful on the phone and more than happy to send me a different spring with just shipping costs if this doesn't help the problem. So I guess I'll find out on thursday when I get a day off haha!

8. y2ray7697

I replaced the vacuum line on the BOV and spliced the boost gauge into a different vacuum line on the throttle body.

EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECT!!!

The sound the Turbosmart valve made was a complete surprise when it happened. There's no flutter AT ALL. I'll have pics up soon!

9. 03 ES GUY

03 ES GUY Well-Known Member

This car makes me go, uuuuuuuuugggggggggghhhhhh, jizzzzzzzzzzzzz....... :biggrin:

10. y2ray7697

2010 RALLIART Sportback (Project TURBOSMART Dual-Port Blow Off Valve)

Okay guys, it's been long awaited enough, and you've been pretty patient. Here's the installation pics for the new Turbosmart Blow off valve I purchased, that I had so much trouble with in the beginning! A few people have been asking, so I'll just lay it all out there right now...I purchased this from MAPerformance.com. They have excellent customer service and even threw in some free stuff when I informed them of my issues I had when I was ordering and their site wasn't really responding well! It also helped out that I had a 10 percent off coupon code from Turbosmart to purchase any of their products, so it knocked over 30 bucks off the price and there was free shipping...can't beat that!!

ENJOY!

[​IMG]

This is everything that came in the box I got in the mail. The valve, vacuum hose, install instructions on the CD, blanking plug to recirculate fully and clamps as well. All seem very well built and everything included is used in this application. It works out really well! They also include a sticker, which is NOT a decal. I tried to peel it off as a decal and ruined it, so I don't know why they send a sticker instead!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see there is a significant size difference from the Turbosmart valve (left) and the stock Bypass Valve (right). The stock one is all plastic and functions as just a recirculated valve. The Turbosmart is all metal and functions as full recirc, 50/50 recirc and VTA, or supersonic full VTA. For my car I'll have it full recirc for normal driving and then 50/50 for shows and such to make some noise! The trumpet easily screws off and the blanking plug can be inserted!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see in these pictures that I had the vacuum line spliced to accomodate my boost gauge I installed prior to this valve being installed. In earlier posts I talked about the issues I had with the valve not opening properly to create a good enough blow off. It would flutter and then blow off even at the lightest spring settings that are allowed on this and I couldn't figure out why. I took an afternoon and changed out the vacuum lines on the valve and spliced into a different vacuum line on the throttle body for the gauge and when I took the car for a drive, even at 5 lbs. of boost it blew off completely and clearly. It was amazing the first time I heard it!

Here's the pic of the new t-splice I put in on the other vacuum line!​

[​IMG]

And, the finished product! You can see the new vacuum line i installed as well as the new t-splice I put on in this picture as well! Notice, it's the line right next to where the BOV hose goes into the throttle body. It has a vacuum pressure tester valve on the line, that's how I knew that one would work out really well, and it does, without a hitch! I would highly recommend if you plan to install this BOV, and you have a gauge, or plan on getting one, then splice into THIS line, not the BOV vacuum line!

[​IMG]

The only downside to where the valve sits, is that the trumpet sits against the intake snorkel. It still sounds amazing and you can really hear it, it just looks funny!

All in all, this was a great mod to do if you want the sound of a full VTA BOV turbo and it won't cause many problems down the line. It holds boost great once you tune the valve spring properly by twisting the cap, which is extremely easy to do! The RA on stock boost is usually tuned by doing this...tighten it all the way, then turn the cap 2.5 to 3 turns to the loose side. It should be set up perfectly then. If you up your boost or add new mods, you may need to tweak it a little so it doesn't leak boost from the piston! But, this is a fairly easy process of trial and error, so happy modding!

11. slickdevil08

pssshhhh...pssshhhhhh lol good stuff man!

12. y2ray7697

Here's a little treat guys!

I just got my custom license plate form PennDOT and put it on. I went out and bought a plate protector too to make sure it doesn't fade too quickly and always looks sharp. I LOVE IT!

[​IMG]

13. y2ray7697

Does anyone else with an RA have a gap in the hood on the driver's side? I noticed the other night after I got my oil changed that on the driver's side, when the hood is closed, it is raised up and doesn't sit flush while the passenger side sits perfectly flush. I was wondering if this is normal, or from propping the hood open and it bent up or what? Can it just be adjusted or what? It's not major, and maybe I just never noticed it before because I've never looked at it with a shadow cast on it until that night. Let me know!

AND DON'T FORGET TO VOTE FOR ME FOR ROTM THIS MONTH!!! VOTING ENDS ON THE 5TH!!!

14. 1slowlance

Really like the back end of your car. Never noticed how much I actually like it.

15. slickdevil08

they call that a ba donk a donk lol

16. y2ray7697

It has really grown on me too...good thing too cuz I gotta drive it around haha!

17. moosemeister

moosemeister Well-Known Member

I see that you got your front emblem white and your back one black. I really wanted to do mine, but thought it would look goofy with two different emblem colors. I really like how your's turned out, so I'm doing my front one red now. :)

18. y2ray7697

Yeah it turned out really good! It looked goofy with the rear one white.

19. slickdevil08

looks good man.. lol penndot. they are horrible at there job

20. blueking_4

blueking_4 Well-Known Member

Yeah they are. Took them a month to correct something on my license...and they sent me a "paper license" with the correct info on it...to bad it won't fit in my wallet cause they made it super-sized.

Anywho, your car is looking really nice dude! can't wait to see what else you plan to do!