Y 2 RaY's 2010 RALLIART Sportback

Discussion in 'Members Progress Reports' started by y2ray7697, Jun 2, 2011.

1. timschoeliertm

timschoeliertm Well-Known Member

i like it what your doing here

2. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

lol

I might take you up on that offer one of these days. Are you gonna attempt to make the journey to VA beach next month?

3. y2ray7697

y2ray7697 Well-Known Member

At first I wanted to but things are so hectic with work I doubt I can get time off

4. y2ray7697

2010 RALLIART Sportback (Rally Armor Mudflap Project)

Hey guys. I finally purchased the Rally Armor mudflaps, and I've gotta say I'm extremely happy with them! They really seem to MAKE the stance of the car, and make it look a lot more "rally-oriented" if that's even a word haha. I went all out and bought the UR mudflaps, with the white lettering to match my paint. Theses things are no joke! They are EXTREMELY lightweight, but also VERY durable and seem like they will stand up to almost anything. That's a good thing, because living in Pennsylvania, we get a bunch of snow during the winter and I don't want these peeling off! Not only that, but now, when I wash my car, the sides stay cleaner for longer. I don't even need to wait for tire shine to dry before I drive the car because the spatter goes on the flaps rather than on the side of the car!

So, I opened up the box and this was everything inside...no not the cat! That would be very cruel! There were two large ones (for the rear) and two smaller ones (for the front). Needless to say, opening these at midnight after work, dfeinitely wasn't a good idea...having to wait all night to install them...DAMN ME! But, I got them installed the next day, and all went pretty well!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The finished product looks great! The rear ones were the hardest to put on, however, because I chose not to take the tires off. I ended up buying a ratcheting offset screwdriver to get the job done, from Sears. It did the trick to get that pesky inner screw that you can't to normally. Now, I just gotta get a fuller exhaust to make the back end look MEANER!!​

5. y2ray7697

2010 RALLIART Sportback (Prosport Boost Gauge Project)

Before the Boost gauge install, I wanted to update on my emblems. Everyone knows by now, that on my old GTS I went with blue emblem decals and absolutely loved them. I couldn't decide on a color for the emblems on this car, so i went with blue again. But, the fact is, after about 2 weeks I just wasn't happy with it anymore! Hey, I'm only human haha. So, I still had A LOT of emblems leftover and rather than order new ones and waste another 10 bucks, I decided to just paint the decals! It worked out GREAT! I painted them white. It looks awesome on the front...but then on the back, it looked way too...WHITE haha. So, I thought some more and painted again. I did the rear emblem black. It looks amazing! So, I have white on the front, black on the back, and blue on the wheels (to match the interior). But, more than likely those wheels decals are going to be changing to white as well...especially if I end up getting black wheel! I'll keep you guys posted!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

ON TO THE BOOST GAUGE INSTALL:

So, I did a lot of research beforehand, to figure out if I wanted a mechanical gauge, like i had in my EVO years ago, or if I wanted to update and go electrical. Personally, i like the mechanical gauges because not much can go wrong there, but the electrical gauges really spark my interest and I think look really nice too. So, I went with an electrical. Everyone knows the Defi can be the best, and they tend to look best with the stock gauges. But, I don't have that kind of money at this moment, to spend $200 on just a gauge. So, I went with Prosport, and yes I read all the horror stories first, but let's face it, those were all from 2007 and 2008, and they've since upgraded their sending units. So, I decided, for 70 bucks, WHY NOT!

Here's what I received in the mail the other day...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The first thing I noticed, is that there wasn't going to be enough hose to do the install that I wanted to do! I didn't want to drill through the firewall and that's what this little amount of tubing and wire is given for. So, I went to Pep Boys and bought two spools of 6 foot clear vacuum hose and used that! Prosport supplies an inline vacuum hose filter, so I ran the first 6 foot, then connected the second one to that by using the inline filter! It worked great! It looks really clean too. I ran the vacuum line down the fender wall, behind the mudflaps, and into the car through a grommet in the side skirt! There was no drilling needed, besides making holes in the grommets. I then connected the other end of the vacuum line to the hose connected to the stock bypass valve because that's the easiest hose to get to, that reads BOTH vacuum and boost.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Then, after connecting all the wires (red=constant, black=ground, white=light source, amber=second light source--I didn't use the amber because I only wanted one color.) This particular gauge lets you choose if you want to have it lit up white or blue, and there's a few combinations such as white day, blue night, blue day, white night...I just kept it white all the time to match the stock gauges! You can see my wiring a little bit here. I tapped into the door locks for the constant, and used the lighter fuse as the light source. My ground, is the bolt in front of the fuse panel. And over on the left you can see the electronic sending unit for the gauge. I mounted it here so it's completely out of harms' way and can't be exposed to heat or get wet! I only used about 10 feet of the vacuum line, and it reads perfectly.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is the end product of the installation:

[​IMG]

I mounted it right in front of the tach, because, let's face it, I don't need to see 8 and 9 on that gauge! And, I can still see the needle on the tach while I drive, so when I'm shifting I know what RPM I'm at! I didn't drill into the steering wheel cover, I just used loc-tite double sided tape and it holds AWESOMELY! The base of the gauge pod they provided also flexes around curves too so it fit PERFECT!

All-in-all, I would say that this was a much needed addition to the car, and I love watching it go as I drive! It also has a button on it, that allows me to see what peak boost I've hit. I'll post a pic of that as well, very soon!

6. slickdevil08

slickdevil08 Well-Known Member

nice little project there i like that idea

7. timschoeliertm

timschoeliertm Well-Known Member

i sure do love that spirit of compotition sticker

8. y2ray7697

Which? The boost gauge?

9. slickdevil08

yup yup

10. y2ray7697

Thanks...it definitely adds something to the interior!

11. slickdevil08

yeah it does and have any other little projects in the near future?

12. y2ray7697

Sure do...I just finished putting the Ultimate Racing muffler on about an hour ago after work!!

13. slickdevil08

hows the noise now?

14. y2ray7697

It sounds amazing. I'll have pics up by the weekend and try to get a movie up too! It's like a whole different car now!

15. slickdevil08

awesome man good stuff.
    love the direction ur going with the car B)

16. y2ray7697

Thanks! I'm gonna try for ROTM again next month!

17. slickdevil08

hey man ull sure as heck have my vote love this build btw.

im from PA myself

18. y2ray7697

Oh yeah? Which part? I'm from an hour or so outside Philly

19. slickdevil08

lol ur prob about an hour away from me chambersburg area near shippensburg.

i currently live in va beach area but im moving back home and ill be home this weekend for 4th of july.

if u wanna drive down with me and a couple of buddys doing a mountain cruise and prob gunna catch some grub and hit up a car meet after dinner ur welcome to come

20. y2ray7697

Yeah that's a little over an hour or so away from me.

Sounds fun! Unfortunately I work allll weekend from 11-9 and the 4th I work 9-7...lucky meeeeee! Thanks for the invite though I appreciate it!