How To: Rear Speaker Install with pics

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Knowledge Base' started by Texas Aggie, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

Ok, I took some pics when I started but then i got into the install and forgot...lol...anywho, i couldn't upload the pics so I'm using photobucket...hope you like my make shift spacer :D

First off there are 3 screws holding the door panel to the door. If you only find 2, look harder. Once you have these 3 screws off there are like 10 or so clips holding the panel on. Be nice when pulling these off but firm.

Secondly, once door panel is off you will need to remove the wires clipped onto the door.

Third, grab the speaker and turn it to the left. There are not any screws holding the speaker in. It's like removing a smoke alarm. Turn left. Once you do this you will understand.

Fourth, if you want to wire the speakers to the deck, connect the proper wires to their respective places. Note: the green wire is positive and the yellow wire is negative. This info is thanks to Prcdslnc13. If you are running a stock deck you will get similar sound quality as the stock speakers. To get full potential you need to wire speakers to an amp.

I wired the speakers directly to the amp. same concept applies. This is where running the coat hanger through the rubber tubes apply. You'll see the pics further down.

1. Rippin it all out
    [​IMG]

2. Taken out panels from the front
    [​IMG]

3. To get the speaker wire through the rubber tube connected to the door and frame, you could use a coat hanger. Tap the speaker wire to the coat hanger(cut the hanger shorter cause you don't need the whole thing) make sure the flow of the tap is going down the coat hanger. If you start from the middle and go to the tip it'll get caught in the rubber tube. This part of the install really sucks.
    [​IMG]

4. A closer view
    [​IMG]

5. Another view
    [​IMG]

6. I didn't know you needed a spacer and I had already ripped all this shit out so I decided to take the factory speaker, break everything off and use the rest. Here is before:
    [​IMG]

7. And here is after. I secured it using a lot of superglue. Cheap yet functional.
    [​IMG]

If you decide to do this yourself, do it after work and have plenty of beer. Like I said, sending the coat hanger through the rubber tube is a pain in the ass. TRY to get the rubber tube as vertical as you can. Also, be mindful that if you push too hard the hanger will cut through the tap so wrap a tip like thing using the tap.

I would like to say thank you to Serious08 cause he gave me the coat hanger idea. If he hadn't responded I have no idea what I would have done. Probably cussed a lot and drank too many beers to finish the job anyway...lol...

I think this covers everything. If i missed something let me know. Hope this helps.

P.S. This works the same with the front door as well. The difference is you have to remove the tweeter mount above the front door panel. It's held on by clips so just pull it off.

Fixed the pictures for the lazy like me :D

2. Texas Aggie

oh yeah...and the rear speakers sound awesome with my make shift spacer. didn't fall off or anything

3. delphium_

delphium_ Well-Known Member

haha dang you did some work on that factory speaker ;p

4. Texas Aggie

yup, i had to. wouldn't have fit without it...and it was fun beatin the crap outta it :D

5. Dukekid0987

Dukekid0987 Well-Known Member

im actually doing this in a few days when i get my speakers in hopefully i wont mess something up :D

6. prcdslnc13

prcdslnc13 Well-Known Member

holy christ what did you use to bust out your speaker? we cut it out with a dremel. your way was prolly more fun though after trying to get the wire through the boot lol.

7. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

That was awesome! very nice

8. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

You did a great job. Its always nice when you put in the hard work and it turns out in your favor.

Thanks for the props!! I'm here to help anytime.

9. Texas Aggie

Serious: Thank you. I give credit where credit is due :D Besides, I wanna pick your brain again when I start on FG some day...lol...I'm gna do Cold Cathodes next though.

Also, i used a screw driver to bust the speaker thingy cause i was doing the install in my girl's garage and OF COURSE there aren't any useful tools around. Not even a friggin hammer. I actually bought the screw driver too...lol

10. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

Nice work, now can you do mine? Haha...

11. Lancerlot

Lancerlot Well-Known Member

I did the same thing, but using a dremel, and also screwed the speakers in place after drilling a couple small holes in the factory brackets. I also did it to the front, and along with the tweeters.

12. Texas Aggie

I had to break it and use super glue cause that's all I had. my girl doesn't have a drill here. or anything for that matter and i didn't feel like driving to wal mart to get a drill. I just got innovative with what i had...lol...and SUCCESS!

and when Serious told me to use a coat hanger i was like...now how do I cut this? lol...I just spent some time bending it...it takes time if you're new to this like i was, that's why i recommend beer :D

13. Dukekid0987

Ok so im having some problems i did this same install everything went great but my speakers are bothering me they sound a lilttle rattly sound sort of the same as the stock ones. not what i expected i dont know if i wired it wrong or whats going on. but the speakers are kenwood so i dont know what the problem would be. would the stock radio have anything to do with it? help would be great.

14. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Are they new speakers? Which series Kenwoods? You could have reversed the polarity. Not secured. Are you using an amp?

15. Dukekid0987

Kenwood KFC-1661S 6-1/2"/6-3/4" 3-way Speakers .....In the front

Kenwood KFC-1682ie 6-1/2"/6-3/4" 3-way Speakers ..... in the rear

im not sure what i did i know kenwoods are not suppose to sound like that now one of the front doors ones wont work and i checked it over and over so im lost at this point i called Crutchfield and their replacing the front ones. which thats not the problem but the other ones sound like i said :(

EDIT: yea their new and no amp i do have a mono mtx though maybe it would make a difference idk

16. Texas Aggie

if you wired the speakers to the stock radio then its going to sound close to stock. to get full potential out of a speaker you have to hook it up to an amp. make sure the speaker wattage is similar to what the amp is putting out.

also, a mono would work for subs, not the greatest for speakers...get a 2 of 4 ch amp for speakers.

17. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

Will be added to the next round of submission for the tutorial section...

18. Texas Aggie

sweet...now I feel special :D

19. Adrian

Adrian New Member

Good looking pics shared in this thread having great useful material which is much helpful one for many persons ,.
    regards,.Koozies Wedding

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011