Works Confirmed they Cracked ECU

Discussion in 'Tune Discussion' started by Wasper, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Just for those who may not belong to other forums, I saw this on another forum and figured I share it with ya'll. Sounds promising !!

(Sorry if this is wrong area to post this, but ECU = Tuning the way I see it :D )

"Greetings,

I wanted to give an update on our '08 Lancer and EVO X flash program. We've cracked the ECUs and are currently working on our flashing interface, and we will offer flashes for both the Lancer and EVO X in the next few weeks. We just moved the dyno up to Infineon yesterday, so I'm looking forward to hearing Pete tune our new Lancers and EVOs outside my office (on second thought... maybe that'll get old real quick. We'll see.). In either case, I think we have a great situation now, with track and dyno in one location, to help us create the best tunes possible. I'll post Lancer updates here, and EVO X updates in the sister thread periodically.

This is an intro for me as well since I've never posted here. I'm in WORKS Engineering working on some projects for our racing program, other projects we'll release in a few months, and most recently, these ECUs. Some local members saw me in one of our World Challenge Lancers working on "ECU diagnostics" – I guess you know what I meant by that now!

-Steve "

2. DaytonaLancer

DaytonaLancer Well-Known Member

what forum did you find this on?

3. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

The evil and highly rude EvoM....

4. Bayurea

Bayurea Well-Known Member

hmm might be a dumb question but what will this do ? i mean how does crackin the ecu of the lancer help us?

5. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Well, think of the RRM piggy back as tricking the ECU into what it wants it to do.. nothing wrong with that, its just limited. Now, cracking the ECU, you can do an ECU brain flash, so basically, you can actually change the parameters of the ECU to tune the car for optimal performance.

6. Bayurea

what kinda optional performance are we talking about though ?

7. Bayurea

sorry *optimal *

8. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

9. KRU

KRU Well-Known Member

another awesome backhanded compliment. I love it.

10. Bayurea

Funny how people cant ask questions now with out a " hey why dont u google it" ... thanks anyways ill just find the shit myself thanks for the
    " Forum love " ..

11. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

well think about it bro.. would you prefer to write 1000+ words or just copy and paste a link? work smart not hard my friend ;)

12. RALLIART

RALLIART Well-Known Member

nice cant wait.

13. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

hate to say it but Wasper has a point. I try and spend time to answer basic questions through google and such. If I have a specific question on something then I'll ask on here. This is our hobby, for the most part. Not sure of many ppl who want to type an essay as a response.

And besides, doing your own research helps eliminate bias towards one way or another. Don't take it personally. Just think about the knowledge you possess and would you want someone asking you a million questions that they could have found out on their own. I wouldn't want that at least. Now on specifics I'm cool with because they person asking has a general knowledge of the subject and I won't have to reteach anything...

that was my 2 cents anyway...

14. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Tuners, you must also remember that having a reflashed ECU will void your warranty. A piggy-back doesn't change the original code and can be removed when and if you have to take your car to the dealership. If your car starts having any problems one of the first things they do is hook an OBDU to it to read what the ECU is saying. It will show that the ECU has been reprogrammed and outside the normal parameters. If your lucky, the dealership would still fix your problem and reset your ECU or they tell you to get bent and hand you a bill. Either way, it would suck.

Just wanted to make you members scared of warranty issues aware.

15. Bayurea

yea i know , my bad i got all up on it just wanted a lil info not the hole bible , but its coo, it dont hurt to research it i guess

16. BlueGTS

BlueGTS Active Member

Um, a piggyback voids your warranty the same as a flash. In fact the piggy you have to hack up the wiring to install it. Even if you remove it before you go to the dealer, it will be so obvious with a bunch of black tape all over the wires. A reflash, you don't have any evidence unless they scan the ecu.

17. Bryn1987

Bryn1987 Well-Known Member

but they can't prove you have done anything if they see black tape on the wires so therefor they can't void your warrenty.... and when you take your car to the dealership the first thing they do is check the ECU, and it will be more then obvious that it's been flashed...

btw, why are u necroposting? -_-... this all is old news, and the CVT's ECU still hasn't been cracked :-\

18. Hydrolikz

Hydrolikz Well-Known Member

+1,000,000. There mods suck! If you get into an argument with them, and they have no comeback they ban you for a few days for insubordination! :roll: