wheel n tire help

Discussion in '7G Lancer and older - Suspension' started by mitsuG, Feb 10, 2011.

1. mitsuG

mitsuG Well-Known Member

so lately ive been lookin around for some new wheels. so my question is what do yall think would look better 15in or 16in, what would be the best and practical offset that will fit the lancer, and also what should be a good tire: 195/45 or 195/50 or 205/45 or 205/50? maybe post some pics of either size on actual lancers would also be helpful to me.

2. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Stock lancer OZ Rally rims are 15x6. Stock wheels size for those are 195/60/15. I have 205/55/15 on them right now. Since im lowered I have rubbing with that setup. I want to get a smaller sidewall so I would essentially be looking for 195 width/45 or 50 height/15 rim size.

But 16's would look best imo. 18s are tooooo big and 17 is borderline. It depends on the wheel you get with 17's and if you are on coil-overs or just lowering springs. As for the offset im still confused on what this is all about. With 16's you dont want to go anything higher than 16x7 and it will most likely cause rubbing for anything lower than 2 inches. Thats if you are lowered on coils. I havent seen any springs that lower less than 1.75 inches.

Personally i am sayin go with 16x7 with a tire of 195 or 205/45 or 50/16. I think it would be best to do 205/45/16.

3. mitsuG

mitsuG Well-Known Member

yea my rims now r way to big. 17x8 i dont rub unless i hit a steep pump or turn really sharp but i definately want somethin smaller. i heard that for our lancers to stick with offsets between +35 and +45 but i still kinda dont know what that means. im just really debating on the size of the rims thats why i was askin for pics to to be helpful.

4. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

I'm on some 16x7 +35 offset w/ 205/45 tires. Definitely going to drop it when I put new shocks and struts on...wheel gap in the front is terrible.
    [​IMG]

I really don't have any good pics of them...I'll get some sometime.

As for offset...maybe I can help...
    The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types (measured in millimeters).

Zero Offset
    The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
    The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative
    The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly.

[​IMG]

5. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Your tires are stretched out a bit too arent they? I really dont like the stretched look at on the wheels but it does help prevent rubbing without having to get your fenders rolled and gettin wheel spacers. and mitsug if you get 17's again in the future stick with 17x7 although hard to find 17x8 requires a bit of work if you want to lower your car without the wheel gap.

6. mitsuG

mitsuG Well-Known Member

lancer2quick: yea whenever you get a chance take some better pics and post em for me. your car looks really clean.

jogen: i bought my 17s before i knew bout wheels and stuff. the rim style looked good so thats why i got them and i got them really cheap ($160 for all four) but now i realize they arent practical, i didnt know what i know now when i got them about 8 months ago. so im definately not going to get 17s again lol

7. lancer2quick

Will do...the car isn't clean, but I'll go take some pics in a few

8. lancer2quick

Cleaned the car up just for you, champ. ha The only thing I don't like is the wheel gap in the front...but that can be solved with a drop. The back looks high b/c of the concrete being unlevel...when its sitting on flat ground, the rear gap is about half of what it is in the pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  9. mitsuG

mitsuG Well-Known Member

thanks man. i like it, 16s ftw!!! in time i think imma get the ralliart front lip and side skirts as well. again, thanks i appreciate the pics, they help to get an idea of how they look on the car