Wheel Backspacing, Offset, and Tire Sizing. Updated 04/20/08

Discussion in 'Tune Discussion' started by RedGalant2k1, Dec 4, 2007.

1. kennyjai

kennyjai Well-Known Member

is the offset for the gts +46 front AND back or is it different??

2. WillieetheOne

WillieetheOne Well-Known Member

I have the DE which had the 16s. I got 17 rims and tires. The tire size is 235/45R17. Now im finding that the car really grabs the shape of the road and i have to really keep an eye on where the car is on the road, lol. Is that normal I know the GTS had a drift issue awhile back and it was resolved i think, but 17s should not have that much effect should they? any info would be great thanks guys and gals.

3. RedGalant2k1

RedGalant2k1 Well-Known Member

Its really just the wider the tire the more likely that is to happen. You will usually start experiencing that around a 235 width (or wider) tire. Its not a "drift" or even a problem its just a consequence of having wider tires.

4. dcobeo7931

dcobeo7931 Well-Known Member

I just feel compelled to ask. Will the Evo wheels fit my GTS?

5. jacob1bc

jacob1bc Well-Known Member

P245/40R18 is the tire size for the evo. so yes it should fit even if you lower the car.

6. lordayne

lordayne Well-Known Member

I am rolling on 225/40/18 without issue. I tpms is also working without issue on aftermarket rims.
    [​IMG]

7. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

This would be wrong... remember, the smaller the offset, (closest to zero, in positive numbers) the closer the hub is going to be to the center of the wheel, so it will stick out.... when the numbers go up, the hub goes towards the outside of the vehicle... for instance, a 18x7.5 with a 45et offset will tuck in better than that same wheel with a 35et offset. Now this will also vary if the wheel has a lip of not.

the best thing to do is to use tire rack and mix and match tires, and it wil tell you the sizes and offsets that best fit your car.

8. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

same

9. dcobeo7931

i have been doing research on advan rs wheels and i want to put the widest i can without rubbing becoming an issue and the above size was quoted as fitting under my gts with a 1.1" drop. what is the widest anybody has gone without rubbing and what are the cons as far as putting 8.5" wide tires on my car???? its a toss up between the advans and volk ce28n im not sure yet though im in iraq so i got so much time on my hands to make up my mind.......also i want to get a carbon hood is vis the only ones making oem hoods?

10. eTXlancer

eTXlancer Well-Known Member

^ i have motegi SP10's 18x8 +43 offset with works springs,with this offset the wheel is flush on the edge of the car. i've had them for a few of months and no problems on rubbing, other than the right rear rubbs the top of wheel well when i hit a bump just right and thats only a couple times a week. the only c/f oem style hood that i've found is on speedcorps

11. kennyjai

kennyjai Well-Known Member

can u post pics??

12. dcobeo7931

What size tires are you running with the 18x8?

13. eTXlancer

eTXlancer Well-Known Member

^ they're 225/45

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. dallasgts

dallasgts Member

Sorry, I a little confused. Won't there be any rubbing issues by going with the 18x18.5 and P245/40 18 setup? I'm also thinking of going with this exact setup and I read somewhere that the rear fenders would have to be rolled to accomodate this setup. Does anyone already have this similar setup, and did you experience any rubbing?

15. WIREBLADE

WIREBLADE Well-Known Member

Hello! Good day to everyone! Just quick question for you guys... whats the best tire size and offset for this set up
    18 x 8 / 5 x 114.3 +45 or +48offset. could i use 225/40/R18 or 235/40/R18 or 245/40/R18 - which one's better to use without any issue. thanks alot!

16. RedGalant2k1

Is the vehicle lowered? If so I'd suggest the 225/40-18s. If not I'd suggest the 235/40-18s.

17. WIREBLADE

Its lowered Sir... what offset is best for it sir? thanks for the reply...

18. RedGalant2k1

I would suggest +45mm. But seeing as not every wheel is made with that exact offset you could expand it to +40mm - +48mm. The higher or closer to stock the better. I believe stock is +51mm, BUT thats also only a 7.5" wide wheel at most. When you run a wider wheel you need to lower the offset slightly to accommodate the extra wheel width.

19. WIREBLADE

How about 18x9.5? can this be done in our Lancers? if yes... what could be the best offset and size tire for this one... without any issue of rubbing... =) Thanks alot!

20. RedGalant2k1

I don't see a 9.5" wheel fitting without rubbing in any offset. The fenders on the non-Evolution Lancers is not as accommodating from what I know. It may fit but as far as offset? It would have to be around +30 to +40mm and then more than likely it will rub.