What do u guys think of this new lancer (rebadged) with new bodykits?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by EVO, Dec 10, 2010.

1. EVO

EVO Active Member

dsc_0755b_770-450x300.jpg dashboard.jpg inspira-rear1.jpg
    just to let u knw its under a brand called proton /rebadged the 9th gen. lancer

2. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

Can't see the attachments, bro.

3. JDMhammer

JDMhammer Well-Known Member

its up... he hasnt reached 25 posts yet so i had to approve the attachments...

evo... no worries on the attachements ill ok your posts as quick as possible

4. EVO

EVO Active Member

oh Thanks Bro JDMhammer ,
    didn't knw bout the 25 postings.
    but thts why my post or thread creations needed affirmation from Moderators..

5. EVO

EVO Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

this is a concept by them with 237 hp mivec turbo @ somethin like lancer Ralliart

6. 1slowlance

I don't like the whole black theme on the rear and side skirts, but other than that it looks like a regular Ralliart with some extra goodies. Different badging seems to be the hype nowadays. Hyundai's doing it with the Genesis, a few other makes are as well.

7. EVO

EVO Active Member

proton has improved the handling as their engineers are trained by lotus.
    here are the news/report by auto journalist/blogger who tested it:
    Proton Inspira: Value adding and providing good value
    October 31, 2010 at 12:05 am By Danny Tan Filed Under Cars, Local News, Malaysian Makes, Proton, Proton Inspira - full details, specifications and test drive

The soon to be launched Proton Inspira has generated so much opinion from so many people, and it’s not just a topic of discussion at the mamak shops, but in the Dewan Rakyat as well. You might have read about outspoken Kinabatangan MP Datuk Bung Moktar Radin blasting the national car company for not developing its own car, going as far as calling for Proton to be closed down for embarrassing the nation. Is that fair?

While I myself have questioned Proton for “going full circle†(first Proton was a Lancer, latest Proton is a Lancer) early in the day, the rationale behind why the Inspira is based on a Lancer makes perfect sense. Proton has always defended the call, maintaining that it’s a “very strategic business decision†that’s win-win for both Proton and Mitsubishi.

At a recent media briefing, Proton’s management reiterated that it made little financial sense to build a car in this segment from scratch, as the small volume won’t help it recoup the investment. It takes about RM600-700 million to do so, while a OEM collaboration (as Proton MD Datuk Syed Zainal prefers to call it over “rebadgingâ€) takes up just RM250 million. The process also just took 17 months compared to a full two years if Proton would have worked solo. Not worth it for a projected 1,600 units per month, they say.

We concur. Proton is a small company and its resources can be better used for other purposes, like developing core models such as the Persona replacement model, which is in the pipeline. “We are not the only ones in the world to do this (OEM collaboration),†said Datuk Syed Zainal, pointing us to PSA Peugeot Citroen using the Mitsubishi Outlander for their SUVs as example. “Having said that, we will not forget why Proton was set up,†assured the boss, who wants to make it clear that this is not the end of homegrown products. However, Proton will not be swayed by the detractors, and is set to continue this trend of collaborating with other OEMs for its non core models.

Proton’s MD also revealed plans to produce and export the Inspira as a Mitsubishi, pretty much like what Perodua does for Daihatsu in Indonesia with the Myvi. But unlike that deal, the Proton built Lancer will most probably use Lancer styling. In order to seal this contract assembly deal, Proton is gunning to achieve a quality threshold that will pass the Mitsubishi audit, and this effort to prove themselves will be good for Inspira owners. There are four MMC quality officers on the Inspira production line at present, and Proton has hired several retired MMC personnel to assist them as well.

If you’ve read our earlier preview drive report, you’d know that the Inspira feels very different to drive compared to the Lancer, mainly due to the retuned suspension settings by Proton. And according to Syammin Noori Arifin, the lead ride and handling engineer for the Inspira, Proton will push for this setting in the Lancer that it will built, if the deal goes through.

He’s happy with what the 15-man team achieved, but admitted that they had a good base to work on. Proton calls what it has done to the Lancer “value addingâ€. Read about the changes here.

How different does the Inspira feel on the move? Very. The ride comfort over rough roads is improved (Lancer ride is good for such big wheels), not just because of the higher profile rubber, but the spot on damping. Pushing it to the max was a confidence inspiring affair; while the suspension has more travel and is much softer than the Lancer’s, body movements in fast cornering is controlled and allows one to “lean†on the car’s limits with relative confidence.

The body moves around quite a bit, but this is intentional as Proton wanted a fluid ride that “breathes†like the best from Europe instead of a firm setup. I reckon that the Lancer will probably have the edge in absolute grip, but the Inspira better relays how much it has in reserve. Proton also worked to rein in the Lancer’s tail at the limits, going for oneness between the front and rear ends. Not sure if things will be the same if a customer fits bigger wheels – Proton hasn’t started testing this set of dampers on 17/18-inch wheels yet.

I only tried the 1.8 manual (the fastest variant of the three), and found NVH levels to be noticeably lower than the Lancer. The narrower tyres with a less aggressive pattern, the more isolated ride and the absence of the CVT are among the reasons for this, I reckon. Although eager, this 4B series of engines aren’t the smoothest in town, but a self shifter (very light clutch, slightly sticky into fourth gear on our tester) improves the experience.

The “Lotus Ride & Handling†tag isn’t the only badge to not appear for the Inspira (it’s a Proton effort after all), but Proton will replace the familiar High-Line, Base-Line naming format too. In comes Standard, Executive and Premium variant codes as replacement.

We hear that the Prime Minister himself will unveil the Inspira at Proton’s COE facility on the 10th of November, so stay tuned. Earlier this week, Proton announced that 1,100 names are already in their order books.

8. EVO

EVO Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]Proton P3-90A based on Mitsubishi Lancer: Preview Drive!
    October 13, 2010 at 5:50 pm By Paul Tan Filed Under Cars, Malaysian Makes, Proton, Proton Inspira - full details, specifications and test drive
    Advertisement

We were fortunate enough to be invited to a preview of the new Proton P3-90A, which is supposed to be a replacement for the Proton Waja, and positioned above the Proton Persona in the Proton product line-up. It’s no secret by now that this new model is based on the current generation Mitsubishi Lancer.

Look after the jump for our first impressions based on the preview drive.

The car will be ‘soft launched’ tomorrow, which means the name will be unveiled and bookings will be opened. There will be 3 models – a 1.8 liter manual, a 1.8 liter CVT and a 2.0 liter CVT. All three models use Mitsubishi engines from the 4B family, with the 1.8 liter using the 4B10 and the 2.0 liter using the 4B11. Of course, many of you probably know the name of the car already as sales brochures have been scanned and unleashed onto the internet, possibly by sales personnel eager to secure bookings tomorrow.

The case for a new Proton Waja replacement

Proton’s most expensive car right now (other than special editions and the Perdana) is the Proton Exora, which retails at RM76,998 for the Exora MC H-Line. There are various reasons for Proton to introduce a new Waja. Right now, anyone who manages to break beyond the RM60k affordability barrier for a passenger sedan will probably step up to the RM80k to RM100k range, which are currently dominated by the two Japanese brands and complemented by various other makes.

The new P3-90A will allow Proton to offer a model to those wanting to upgrade to something better and bigger than the current Saga, Persona or Waja that they have. It will allow Proton to increase its customer retention as the budget of the customer increases.

And of course, Proton has to serve the Malaysian government, the government’s fleet manager SPANCO, and other fleet buyers such as the police.

Badge engineering a Mitsubishi product – have we gone backwards?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  9. timschoeliertm

timschoeliertm Well-Known Member

the front reminds me of a newer audi

10. Sinestra

Sinestra Well-Known Member

ugh the white one is over done its screams look at me look at me. Too much going on and certain parts are so distracting they actually take away from the car. The 2nd one is very basic i could work with it.

11. 1slowlance

The front just reminds me of this generation of every car that Mitsubishi has made. Lol.

12. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

I don't know....The only rebadge that I have been fond of is the Tiburon to the Tuscani badging.

13. 1slowlance

I like the Hyundai Genesis rebadging. Though, it's still a Hyundai.

14. EVO

EVO Active Member

hahaha ya,
    its a milder look than the normal lancer GTs.
    this rebadged pisses off alot of lancers owner here.
    the diff here is jsut he bumpers and tweaked the handling to be better .
    i've yet to receive the manual version.which i hope more ways to play around with.

15. EVO

EVO Active Member

just added rear spoiler and side skirts like the GTS for my 1.8 manual and now waiting for the front lips to complete the bodykits :D rear spoiler.jpg