video output from phone to nav unit

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by DragnRidr85, May 6, 2011.

1. DragnRidr85

DragnRidr85 Well-Known Member

Hey all. I wasn't able to find this question anywhere so I don't think it's been asked. If i missed it, my bad. So I have the HTC Incredible phone. Got a micro USB to RCA connector for the phone to try to connect it to the video input source I have on the OEM Navigation system in the '08 GTS. Figured I should see/hear whatever I see/hear on my phone on the nav screen. I go to the audio selection menu on the nav unit and choose "AUX" and the screen is just blank. Not taking input. Of course if i'm using just audio output from my phone (through the headphone jack) into the ports in the car the sound goes through. Any ideas why it's not transmitting from the phone to the nav unit via the micro usb to RCA connector? Anyone got theirs to work (take video input from the phone I mean)?

The cable I am referring to is basically the one in the link below.

http://htcpedia.com/news/htc-droid-incredible-tv-out-cable-review.html

2. shieldwolf342

shieldwolf342 Well-Known Member

I believe that the aux ports on the navigation system uses only the audio channels and will not support the video channel.

I have the same phone as you and while i dont have the same auxiliary unit as you I have tried it on others.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  3. y2ray7697

y2ray7697 Well-Known Member

You are correct. With the RCA jacks on the Rockford screen it doesn't support video from phones. It will however support video from gaming systems!

4. DragnRidr85

DragnRidr85 Well-Known Member

ah. that's a total fail. Was hoping to use my phone's google maps on that screen since the '08 model came with '05 maps (rip off) and it costs $180 to update them (another rip off)

5. y2ray7697

y2ray7697 Well-Known Member

yeah it IS a big ripoff...I don't worry about it anymore, since I don't have the nav unit in the new car. I just bought a vent clip for my phone and downloaded NaviGon on my iphone after I jailbroke it...works like a charm!