turbo kit hunting

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by ballmonk23, Oct 26, 2009.

1. ballmonk23

ballmonk23 Well-Known Member

every turbo kit, i have found is not for the cvt. can someone throw me a link to one i can put on my car? 08 lancer ES cvt (i really do to post up to date pic)

2. dao.style

dao.style Well-Known Member

RRM has one, call them up to order

3. redsun727

redsun727 Active Member

too much money go custom

4. BrianRRM

BrianRRM Well-Known Member

we make a turbo kit for the CVT...call for more info..1-562-906-0080

5. oshusttoley

oshusttoley Well-Known Member

how much is it for the CVT?

6. ballmonk23

ballmonk23 Well-Known Member

my car came with the cvt. but tell me how to go custom?

7. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

If you go custom, good luck with the tuning.

8. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

There are other tuning options available other then piggy back. Just need to find a trusted mitsu tuner. May of them around. I have gotten quotes from a few different shops that offer support for our lancers.

9. oshusttoley

What shops and what kind of tuning, like flashing the ecu or they put there own piggy in? And what kind of price range they shoot at u lol

10. SeRious08

Again, good luck with the tuning.....

11. redsun727

redsun727 Active Member

i bought a complete turbo set up from an 09 RA owner, tuning is not that hard all you need is a flash. mine was tune by JESTR TUNNING

12. oshusttoley

and how much did you gain?

13. EngRWW33

Ivey tune offers solutions for the N/A Lancer... the software is available for a tuner. When it comes to turbo, you just need a way to control boost and so far everyone has been using a manual boost controller for that.

14. SeRious08

JESTER is the same one working on the xtremeboost turbo kit. They have had nothing but problems. Very inconsistant with a lot of down time. If they have have figured it out, great. But to my knowledge, there are only 2 companys that have cracked the 08+ ECU. RRM was the first and then Jester (took 2 years to crack). Not even HKS has it figured out. Just throwing a tuning software at it IS NOT the safe way to go. RRMs tune has shown consistant 220-230 whp on 6 psi with several vehicles.

15. oshusttoley

well i think new cars are a lot harder to make turbos for. my opinion is that any stock car thats not trubo;d shud be left that way. putting turbos on is just going to create problems and you dont know how long it will make ur car last lol

16. SeRious08

Yeah, the Honda Civic guys said the same thing in the late 90s. Now look at them..... Only pushing 350-400+ hp and getting 250k miles. :roll:

17. EngRWW33

What is this "cracking" the ECU talk??? RRm uses a piggyback, that has nothing to do with cracking an ECU. Reflashing the is a process that starts by reading in the ROM file off of your ECU through the OBDII port in the car. This is a very simple thing, just get a Tactrix cable, the one that works with the evo works for us too. You will need the newest version of OpenECU as well, this software will allow you to read that file from the ECU. Once you have this file, which I have a link to http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4105&sid=5ff9bf15e32053e9037b66bc40ef255d, you must create a definition file for it that will then allow you to view and manipulate the variety of tables like air/fuel, throttle, speed limitter, timing, etc. Then you can reflash using ECUFlash, or some other software like it.

A piggyback on the other hand is just meant to adjust different signals being sent to and from the ECU but changes nothing about the ECU. No tables are changed, no ROM file is changed, nothing, it is just a facade.

Anybody with the proper knowledge can put some time into creating a proper definition file (*.xml) for our ECu. Many have the capabilities, but few have the time for an N/A Lancer. Please stop this "cracking" the ECU stuff, it is bull.

18. oshusttoley

Well the way you just wrote it made it seem so easy. yet only "works" is the only one i kno that will flash our ecu. and if its so easy why wont RRM flash ecu's

19. EngRWW33

^^Works is the only one that has done it and is selling their version. Other shops have done it but are not selling their changes.

My point was this cracking stuff. It is not easy to do but it is very possible with the right resources. RRM is not god-like among lancer ECU's.

20. matchstick

matchstick Active Member

Um WRONG, So Very Wrong...

The lancer ECU maps are not actually in a 'readable' format, i.e. its not xml they are actually in Hexdecimal. The Rom has to be downloaded and then disassembled aka "reverse engineered", this is what people mean by 'cracked'. Decoding the rom data is no easy task since it is in hex.

Here is the first few lines of code of a flash map on an evo, when opened in notepad
    ---------------------
    ÿ Œÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ¸ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ µÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ °ÿ ¯ÿ ®ÿ ­ÿ ¬ÿ «ÿ ªÿ ©ÿ ¨ÿ §ÿ ¦ÿ ¥ÿ ¤ÿ £ÿ ¢ÿ ¡ÿ €Yo1 Ko1 4Gekÿÿÿÿ € € € € € € € € €$ €( €, €0 D €8 €< €@ €D €H < €P €T €X €\ €` €d €h €l €p €t €x @ €€ €„ €ˆ €Œ € €†€˜ €œ €  €¤ ۬ >( > =´     ÿ Âÿ ÃÂÿ …ÿ ÂÂÿ ÂÂÿ @ÿ ]ÿ êÿ ¥ÿ ¶ÿ wÿ 9ÿ »ÿ ¼ÿ ¾ÿ ¶ÿ ÂÂÿ ÃŽp ÃŽp ÃŽp ÃŽp ÃŽp ÃŽp ÿ *ÿ 9ÿ qÿ {ÿ Šÿ ÂÂÿ ’ÿ “ÿ â€â€ÃƒÂ¿ ¢ÿ ¼ÿ ¾ÿ èÿ ôÿ ÿ ÿ ÿ @ÿ ÿ Kÿ £ÿ Âÿ Èÿ Îÿ ÃÂÿ 5ÃŽp ÃŽp
    ---------------------

Go ahead and try and decode that (course you are not going to do it with notepad)....

Read a little about it here, from an Australian company that's R&D'ing the Lancer right now...
    http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=298&Itemid=40

You obviously did not even read the posts for the link you gave out for OpenECU, there were only 3 posts there, that even show its a hex file, and then links off to another forum post where they have NOT been able to come up with working definition files.

And the piggyback that you are reffering to are those cheap $25 ebay hack jobs that use a resistor to try an change the readings from the O2 and MAF sensor.

The RRM piggyback does send new maps and tables to the ecu, it doesn't change the signals to and from the sensors and ECU to try and fool the system. If it did it wouldn't be programmable, It's just not a permanent flash, you unplug it, the system goes back to default. This nothing new in world of semiconductors. Even I have done rom chip piggybacking back in the days of the Commodore 64.
    Here is more on the RRM Piggyback http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/Piggytech.htm

The reason they did this was so that it is easily reversible, and also allows you to play around with your maps and settings, the Works reflash is only setup to what they think is the best setup, and then you have to go back to them to go back to stock, the RRM is totally customizable.

Next time do a little research before spouting off.