this may be stupid...

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by dirtylilhonda, Aug 28, 2010.

1. dirtylilhonda

dirtylilhonda Well-Known Member

but i thought 2007 and up was the 9th gen lancer. am i wrong?

2. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

there wasnt an 07 lancer. 02-06 7th gen. 08-current 8th gen. Well there wasnt an 07 lancer in USA. But there was one in canada and Japan. It's called the colt I believe. Dont quote me on the japan one. But I'm sure there was one in Canada. There currently isnt a 9th gen lancer yet. The lancer and the evo did not follow the same generation. They only overlapped in the 7th gen in 2002-2003. The 02-03 lancer looks like the 7th gen evo 01-03. and the 7th gen lancer of 04-06 looks like the 8th gen evo but is still a 7th gen lancer like the 02-03 lancer. Only difference is the return fuel system 02-03 and returnless fuel system 04-06

3. dirtylilhonda

4. dirtylilhonda

so how does that work exactly? just because it didnt come out in the u.s. and stuff like that, kinda seems like its still a lancer and regardless of where its released there are still 9 gen's, right? i dunno, im just making conversation guys.....

5. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

ha...It is weird...we've had the same discussion multiple times.

6. dirtylilhonda

so is there 9 gen's? but only 8 in the u.s.?

7. Jogenmaru

According to many speculations there is only 8 generations of Base lancer (es,ls,oz rally,de). 2 generations of the lancer ralliart. 10 generations of the lancer evolution. And truthfully I know nothing of the 6th gen lancers and under being in america at all. But then again dodge owned the lancer before mitsubishi. Mitsubishi owns dodge owns chrysler. As for the 9th gen lancer question I do not know. It depends on a lot of things. the 7th gen lancer is defined by the engine it has in it 4g94 but all the evos from 3rd gen to 9th gen all had the same engine 4g63. It all bottles down to the type of body and drive train it has to give it its own generation. 7th gen lancer is completely different than 8th gen lancer all together. Different body different engine...the whole shebang. But the different between the 7th to 9th gen evo I believe is only the acd (snow,tarmac,gravel option on how the evo performs). That is in came to the evo's in the later 8th gen. But is standard in all 9th gens. And all evo 10's. So far as for the lancer the speculation is that there are 9 generation. 02-03 being the 7th gen. 04-07 being the 8th gen. and 08 to current being the 9th gen. But until proven otherwise there is only 8 generations of lancer. Like I said the only difference between the 02-03 and 04-06 lancer is the return fuel system thing. That's not enough to make it a whole other generation of lancer. Oh and the body style. Remember the lancer came first through dodge so the lancer name is soooo much older. But the evo came out in the late 80's early 90's. Evo has been more popular than the lancer as it has always been a rally car. That's what mitsu wanted it to be. But to me personally the evo 10 is not a rally car. It is too big body wise. Most rally "cars" are smaller than that thing.

8. dirtylilhonda

i love my lancer but i agree, the new body style is very bulky looking. so why does wikipedia show 9 lancers? i know its just information someone put in there and it could be wrong but it has 9 lancer in there. i think it does make it very difficult to figure out when they release different ones in different countries. im glad you guys are calm and just conversate... better than alot of sites i have been to :)

9. Jogenmaru

Well the base lancer goes by the name of "Colt" as well. Dodge also had that. It's difficult to put it all down but as you do some general google/yahoo searches looking for parts for your car you will see. Well you own a 10 lancer so your searches are different than my 03 lancer. I come up with all sorts of stuff. That's how I figured out the lancer was called the Colt originally and the name was a dodge name as well.