The Install From Hell

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by Oni, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

So I finally finished installing my new sub. It's a 10" Fi Q dual 2. I had it wired to 1 ohm and set up with a Hifonics 1505d I had sitting in my closet for about 1.5 years. So I go to set the filters and gains. I notice this odd sound coming from my sub. Almost like a bubbling/gurgling sound, or like if the dual 2 voice coil was wired wrong. And the noise follows the speaker signal NOT the alternator/engine noise. It's not audible at high volume due to the bass drowning it out, but I can hear it in the cabin with the seats up at low volume. It also seems like my gain doesn't do much until half then gets super sensitive past that and can easily send the amp into protect mode.

So now I'm angry that after all this time it took to install, it ain't working right. So I hooked my IPOD to the amp inputs and the sound is still there. So I know all the stuff up to that point is good and that brings me to the sub and amp. I go to one of two local audio shops (the one with the cool laid back hippies, not the uptight asshole one) to get help troubleshooting this. The owner immediately thinks the Voice Coils are wired wrong, even though I know I did that part right. Upon inspection, they were right. The coils showed the same impedance they did out of the box. No noise from the sub if you push on the cone/dustcap. So now I'm starting to worry it's the amp. He gives me a preboxed JL sub that runs at 4 ohms to see if it is A.) the amp or B.) just the amp at 1 ohm. Sure enough, even at 4 ohms, my amp reproduced the same odd noise on the JL.

I would be less annoyed if the amp wasn't perfect when I stored it in my closet that year and a half ago and I had instead been beating on it for this long. But it was the only thing on the top shelf, untouched, etc. So now I need a new amp it would seem. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anyone here experienced something similar or know enough about amps to explain what the hell happened to mine.

And Serious, hook a brother up with a good amp deal! :D
    j/k I'm torn right now between the AQ1200d or the eD NINe.1

2. RALLIART

RALLIART Well-Known Member

Well i just redid my audio setup. I am pounding 2 12" JL audio w3v3subs. Which pound hard as hell. No i did not experience anything what you have described before. I am thinking its the amp or may be your rca cables. below are my install pictures. Oh as well as a link for wiring diagrams, which can be really helpful for you

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learni ... iring.html <<<<<<<---------------Wiring diagrams

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

It can't be the RCAs, I used a different set (my mini to RCA for my AUX input) to test the amp with my ipod instead of the LOC. Same symptoms. Only thing left by process of elimination was the amp. If it was my ground, it'd be alternator noise instead of some kind of signal interference/distortion.

4. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Well, I ordered a US Amps MD1D used. It should be here in a week. Hopefully everything works this time.

5. dynasty3695

dynasty3695 Well-Known Member

same thing hapined to me and im not to technical with wireing, but i did everything i could and gave up, got rid of my old shitty ones and got me some new ones, now i have no prob. even hooked up to the same amp.
    its weird and i could hear it throughout my car.. was annoying. even re wired everything =o but no luck

6. skullpr

skullpr Well-Known Member

did you open the amp?? im pretty sure its full of dust inside...if so just get a small painters brush or a duster to remove the dust...then look at the PCB and inspect that all solder points are still good...thats all that comes to mind right now...if that works maybe you could use it for something else, or just sell it "AS IS" on ebay for parts or something...good luck with your new amp :D