Texas Stereo Help

Discussion in 'South and Southeast Owners Forum' started by Oni, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Hey, I need some help from someone in the Texas area. I want to build a fiberglass box for my 08 big enough for a 12" Memphis M3 and I've never fiberglassed before. It doesn't have to be super fancy, cloth is fine, but I may consider that shinny vinyl, heh. I want one similar to Arc's on the audio forum. Anyone know there stuff or want to learn to fiberglass with me?

2. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

where in texas are you from? I live in Katy, tx...west houston. I know someone who could help you out but its his business so you'll need to pay.

3. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

That's fine, I just don't want to get ripped off like this stereo shop in town wants to do. I'm down in Victoria, but I have family in Jersey Village.

4. KRU

KRU Well-Known Member

how can u say rip off. U r paying for their knowledge, experience and professionalism.
    So since u have no knowledge of this type of work except seeing the end result as a consumer, I guess you know all the hard work that goes into this kind of work. Hmmm!

Here is something basic. Fiberglas enclosure that is in the spare tire well. Please by all means could you please list the materials used to do this and a price you think that is right.

I am very curious.

[​IMG]

5. KRU

KRU Well-Known Member

The round white light u see between the amps, is a reflection in the plexi from the trunk light in the above package tray.
    It is not part of the install.

6. MXlou

MXlou Well-Known Member

hmm lets see wood, fiberglass mat, resin, plexi glass, seude and a crap load of time

7. Texas Aggie

The materials I would use...as of now (before i learn how to do CF and FG)...cell phone and wallet... :D

8. KRU

KRU Well-Known Member

^LMAO! thats a start MX. Dont for get the sound deadening material u need to add in an all fiberglass box to slow down the interior standing wave---oopps! Did I get to knowledgeable? See you would have failed there.
    How about the proper tools.
    Im about $17k in tools in my tool box not to mention the custom router table, free hand routers, saws and so forth.

I wanna hear it from Oni tho. Come on bruddah step up to the plate. Your quick to say rip off. Now defend it. Even tho thru your words you even stated you dont know how to do it.
    So lets see why u think its a rip off.

Ur right Im putn u on blast.

Why? Cuz you dont know what the hell your talking about.

Just tell the truth bro. You have Champain dreams on a beer budget and instead of being honest, u r trying to make a professional fabricator look as tho they r in the wrong cuz you cant afford it.

Im gonna save you the trouble and let you know that the cost on the install in the pic I post was $3500.
    That was just labor on the trunk part. That did NOT include any of the subs, amps, wiring and lighting.
    You get what you pay for in this industry.
    The entire system from front to back and all materials including the custom radio dash bezel was:

$10,500

9. Texas Aggie

Holy crap...

10. KRU

KRU Well-Known Member

22 years of experience

10's of thousands in tools

numerous awards

numerous mag feature cars

numerous mag covers

continuous feature SEMA & CES cars every year

Masters E.E. degree

Union certified welder

Painter

Its like trying to say, Why cant I buy a SL AMG 65 at a Honda Accord price?

11. Texas Aggie

Man...I got the skills to do that...

25 years of living experience

Wasted 10's of thousands on stupid shit

Seen numerous awards

Seen numerous mags

Seen numerous tricked out cars

Continuous SEMA follower

B.A. of Science in Business (Pending...lol)

Certified CPR

Microsoft Painter

Sorry...this parody just came to me and I had to do it. That write up sounds like a lot of kids doesn't it?

12. KRU

KRU Well-Known Member

I just get so tired of people saying how its the shops fault cuz they r rip offs and cant justify in any way , but for the simple fact that they cant afford it. Just be honest.

i.e:

"Hey guys i would like to start on my audio system. However I would really like to do this myself. Unfortunately I have no experience doing this type of work, but I have always wanted to give it a try and see where it leads me. Is there any one out there that would mind answering some questions and or maybe even assisting me on this?"

Now that would go over a lot better!

13. Texas Aggie

that's true. I've had problems with the 2 shops closest to me. the first one didn't put 2 converters in my car when i paid for 2. I removed the deck a while later and noticed. also, they have a rep for installing and stealing weeks later. no good.

the other wired my components to the factory deck and not the amp. wasn't sure why and the installer was always off after 5pm and i couldn't get to him cuz i work.

14. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say rip off if it wasn't. I understand how hard it is and I know how much all the places near where I used to live charged, for excelent work mind you. This place just down right tries to rip you off. Their equipment is overpriced too.

I'm willing to pay for good work.

And like I said earlier, I think I'd rather go with the style that Arc used along the inner side of the trunk rather than the spare.

AZN, let me know what your buddy would charge.

15. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Custom fiberglass work is very expensive due to the time consumption. I don't even have fingerprints anymore from the countless hours or hand sanding fiberglass and bodyfiller. The concept of fiberglass is very easy but the knowledge is very technical. I have seen dozens of weekend projects turn into complete crap because the individual had no knowledge of how to work with the material.

If you want to see expensive, check out the prices from Unique Autosports (Unique Whips). They were charging one customer $5,000 for a box that held 2 10 JL Audio subs for his Honda.

Now with that said, I live and work in the DFW area. I would be more than willing to try and help you out. But I can tell you this, a fiberglass box isn't a weekend job. You must leave the mold in the car for a good 24-48 hours to cure and retain shape. If you pull it out of the car early it could flex and the shape would be off. You then have to glue all the braces and rings in, wrap it in material, lay the resin and then let another 24-48 hours for drying time. Then you get to spend a day on sanding and body filling. You are looking at a good week of continuous work there.

Shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

16. Texas Aggie

the price is going to vary with what all you want. the more complex the higher the price. same goes for the longer it takes, materials and such. I'll get the number. PM me so I remember