Suspension problems

Discussion in '7G Lancer and older - Suspension' started by LancerProject, Jul 15, 2011.

1. LancerProject

LancerProject Member

I just bought a 2002 Lancer ES, original owner said he put a front suspension on. A stock stut and spring. It sounds like its missing a rubber bushing or something. Whenever I hit bumps, even small bumps, it sounds loud. Is there any chance he forgot to put a rubber bushing back on??? I dunno

2. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Well, it is definitely a possibility. The sound you describe sounds like a possible wheel bearing. Its a metal-on-metal...somewhat of a fast rattle when you hit a bump on the front. The best way to rule out the spring and strut is to hit the tire on the leading side (towards front of car) while parked and wheels straight. If you get the rattle sound, its most likely a bad wheel bearing.

3. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

If he only put one strut and shock one I would check with the top rubber mount to see if its there like the others. It could be what l2q says as well. Truthfully I would have swapped atleast the front 2 out at the same time. It wears out the same like tires would.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

4. LancerProject

LancerProject Member

Its more like a loose sound, like somethings loose when I hit a bump. Something you would hear in a older car, like 1989. Not in something like a 2002. I'll check the to see if its the wheel bearing...thanks guys

5. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Thats exactly what it sounds like....like something isn't bolted securely. I thought it was the bracket holding the brake line to the strut, but it was tight. I hit the tire with a rubber mallet and it made the same sound....bad wheel bearing

6. LancerProject

LancerProject Member

Ya I gave it a try an sure enough...thanks 2quick