Stuck sunroof?...possible problem...

Discussion in '7G Lancer and older- General Information' started by lancer2quick, Apr 1, 2010.

1. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

OK, my sunroof went back like normal, but when it came time to close it...wouldn't go forward and I could hear the gears slipping.
    I decided to give it a shot and see if I could fix it. It was WAY easier than I thought....so here's the how-to.
    I was too pissed to take the time for pics....sorry

Ready:

1. Remove the roof mounted accessories ( I would recommend disconnecting the batt.)

a. O-sh1t handles (3) - pop the rubber boot up on the outside edges and then #2 Phillips removes the screws.

b. Clips by back window (3) - I pulled the headliner down and got my fingers on top and then just applied even pressure and POP off they came. Do one at a time. Take your time on these.

c. Molding around sunroof opening - grab it and pull toward middle of opening. No big tricks here

d. Sun visors (2) - leave clipped in place. Remove screws #2 Phillips (2-each) then un-clip and you have to rotate them down. Swivel and pull gently. You'll get it. They have two small fingers forward and two friction clips on the side. Imagine the visor hanging down vertically. Now, pull down and push toward windshield.

e. Visor clips (2) - you need two slotted screw drivers 1/4" or 3/8" worked for me. These are a pain . Push a screwdriver from each side in the notches. You have to push the both at the same time. Then the clip will pop out and just drop down.

f. Dome light - use a 1/4" - 3/8" slotted screwdriver to remove the clear cover. Then use a 10mm socket to remove the bolts (2) on the sides. Un-clip the connector. Push little hook-tab and pull off.

g. THIS MUST HAPPEN AFTER THE DOME LIGHT! ! ! Sunroof switch trim - with the dome light removed you can look up on the hole and see the grey trim and where it clip on behind the headliner. Use a 1/4" slotted or smaller screwdriver and pop the grey hook clip off and the trim piece will just pop off.

2. Pull back the pillar covers and where they clip in there are white grommets in the headliner. Remove those so they don't get lost.

Now, if I can remember back 1 hour well your headliner should be ready to remove.

3. Lay the driver seat all the way back and with the back door open, get in on all four corner and **gently** flex the headliner to get it our from behind the pillar covers. Then tilt and slide it out the back driver door.

NOW- on to the sunroof track/motor----There are supposed to be three bolts holding the motor in...in my case, one was completely out, and the other two weren't tight at all.

4. Drop the motor and now you can get the teeth back in line.

**Note** the motor has programmed revolutions. You have to make sure that it is in the position that you want it when you install it. I used the switch (still connected and mounted on the roof) to make sure I was in the right sequence.

What worked best for me was to open the roof, all the way back, not tilted up. Then I pushed with light pressure towards back on both sides of the sunroof (glass) by the track. This makes sure that the sunroof is straight and all the way open. Then with my motor in the "fully open" rotation sequence. I reinstalled and added the missing screw and a small amount of threadlock to prevent this from happening again.

Screws are a phillips 0.8 pitch- 25mm (pitch is the thread pattern)

5. Now do everything in reverse to put the headliner / accessories back in.

I searched and no one said anything about sunroof trouble. So, I hope this helps out he next guy with trouble.

2. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Thank god you did this. My sunroof just started the same thing. I didnt want to take it somewhere to get fixed. Hopefully this will work for me as well. I will try to remember take pictures for you and you can add them to your how to.

3. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

4. Ciphony

Ciphony Well-Known Member

that means the motor doesnt know the stop points yet. If i remember the sequence correctly you have to go full open and hold the button for full open when the sunroof is full open for 5 seconds. Then go to full close. Hold for full close 5 seconds. then go to tilt and press tilt for 5 seconds. after that it gets fuzzy.. i cant remember if you have to do that 2 or 5 more times... but basically you are resetting the timer circuits for rotation in the motor. I would also suggest cleaning the track. if you can grease the guides. worked for me every time the damn bolts come loose... i just gave up and stopped using the sunroof