Stock head unit

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by folterkammer8, Oct 23, 2009.

1. folterkammer8

folterkammer8 Member

hey everyone, i have an 09 gts and wanted to know if i could add a aftermarket amp and sub to the stock head unit. thanks

2. whosjamesgo

whosjamesgo Well-Known Member

did you get the Rockford fosgate package?

3. folterkammer8

folterkammer8 Member

no i didn't.

4. CRAZY-LEGS-20

CRAZY-LEGS-20 Well-Known Member

I think you can...not realy sure....you can try or ask the dealer first before you do anything...it will be better

5. dao.style

dao.style Well-Known Member

yes you can

6. folterkammer8

folterkammer8 Member

ok do i need anything special to hook it all up to the HU? my friend told me he used a wiring kit to do his (his HU is stock and doesnt have a premium audio system). would something like that work for me? thanks!

7. dao.style

yes you need a wiring harness
    i started with sub+ amp first
    then upgraded my speakers
    then added a pioneer f90bt headunit

8. folterkammer8

folterkammer8 Member

okay thanks! i was thinking of doing speakers too, but i wanna get this done first! plus i need some more money before i do that! thanks again!

9. dao.style

np man =] thats the approach i went first too, money dosen't come by easy for me either ;)
    good luck with your setup

10. folterkammer8

folterkammer8 Member

hey what kind of wiring harness did you use?

11. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

You will need to purchase a high/low convertor. These can be purchased at Circuit City, Best Buy, or any local car audio business. The convertor wires in parellel with the door speakers and provides a set of RCA jacks for the amp. From there you will need to purchase an amp install kit.

This should help explain things easier for you: http://www.installer.com/hilo/index.php

I see that you live in Pittsburg. I live in Johnstown and the owner of the Just for Looks Car Audio business located here on the site and Texas. If you ever need any help with installs or car audio stuff let me know. I'll give you a great PA price.

Just so you know, the average price for a high quality high/low convertor is $40 or higher. I get them for $13 :D .

Another option but way more expensive but even higher quality is the AudioControl LC6
    http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/17612/222456/OEM-Integration/Line-Output-Converter----LC6i.html

or the RE-Q
    http://reqsound.com/support_specs.aspx

Just shoot me a PM or email and I will be more than happy to help out.

12. gb21

gb21 Member

I have the fosgate package and I want to add another 10 inch sub
    without replacing the amp or head unit is this possible?

13. matchstick

matchstick Active Member

No, This would not be possible the Fosgate amp only has enough power to power the 1 DVC (Dual Voice Coil) sub, which is only 75w RMS/150w MAX per coil and runs at 1.5ohms.

Also the OEM Fosgate sub is unique to our cars, and I have yet to find another DVC sub rated the same wattage and ohm rating (which is really low btw). And it's never a good idea to run mismatched subs.

So you would have to replace the stock oem sub with either 2 SVC (single voice coil) subs, or 2 DVC subs, and connect them both to a new dedicated amp, completely disconnecting the sub connection from the stock amp, not using the wiring from the stock amp to the stock sub, as the signal is to powerful even for a LOC (line out converter).

14. gb21

gb21 Member

Is it possible to replace and upgrade the amp and sub and maybe even speakers
    and still keep the stock head unit?