Sandblasting rim service

Discussion in 'South and Southeast Owners Forum' started by Texas Aggie, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

I may be setting up a sandblast rim service but wanted to see if anyone was interested. There are no prices set yet. If there is enough interest I will probably move forward with it. I will start on my car first, then 2 of my other friends since they are interested. I will post pics of what they look like and such.

Let me know if you would be interested in this service.

2. Texas Aggie

Re: Sandblasting rim service - Feeler

Ok so we decided to move forward with the sandblasting. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks we can get the box built and 4 weeks for trial period. I want to make sure that there aren't any issues before we start working on client cars. We will also be spraying brake calipers and springs. Although this isn't difficult to do, we will already have the wheels off so may as well.

Pricing is still up in the air because we have to determine actual expense and reasonable labor cost. We will also have pics of after we spray the rims and what they look like after a month of wear and tear.

We have some people interested so if you are as well let me know.

3. Texas Aggie

We will probably offer audio system install as well. We can do the basic installs of speakers, decks, amps, capacitors...haven't touched video yet but I'll be looking into that within the next few weeks.

I'm in the process of getting a custom axle back exhaust developed. We will probably dyno the exhaust before we market it so you guys can see the numbers before deciding whether or not to purchase it.

4. Texas Aggie

Thus far we have some of the supplies we need to sandblast rims. We will open this company up to audio installs shortly.

We should be able to start sandblasting rims within the next few weeks. We are trying to get materials for cheap or free so we can decrease the cost of this service to help our customers out. As most of you know, expenses are often pasted onto the consumer so we are trying to get that as low as possible. So far we are doing pretty well. I have gotten some of the equipment for free from people i know and materials for pretty cheap.

5. Texas Aggie

bump

6. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

What is sandblasting?

7. Texas Aggie

Mixing sand with air to blast the clear coat and paint off of a rim so it can be repainted. Takes A LOT less time to do than using sandpaper to try and get it off. i can probably get it sandblasted and painted in less than 4 hours.

8. Texas Aggie

If everything goes as planned, we should be getting the materials to build the box tonight and possibly get started tonight or tomorrow morning.

9. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

So you paint wheels then? What about repairs?

10. Texas Aggie

Yes, we paint wheels. We can do repairs but it depends on what your asking for.

I am currently in the process of building the box for sandblasting. I am about 80% finished. The box will be completed today and probably start sandblasting our cars tomorrow since it may be too late to start tonight. 30 gallon compressors are not quiet.

We also have the equipment necessary to paint rims as well. We only picked up black since that will probably be the most used color, but we can get different colors upon request.

This pretty much means we can start on client cars in roughly 3 weeks. That will give us test time on wear/tear, heat, and such. If your interested please let me know.

11. Texas Aggie

Alright fellas. the box is completed. i will probably get started on my rims this thurs and post pics...that's if everything goes as planned.

12. Texas Aggie

I just tested out the sandblasting on a piece of rusted steel. Worked out pretty well. I have some small things I need to work out but its manageable. I should be blasting my rims this weekend. I have a wedding I have to attend so I won't be able to jump on it right away.

I'll take pics before, during, and after I finish so you guys will be able to see what I am capable of doing. I will also try and make some HALO meets so you guys can see first hand what it looks like completed.

13. Texas Aggie

Finally got my equipment built and tested. I'm blasting a spare tire as a tester and so far so good. The sandblasting works great. Haven't painted yet but I'm hoping to get on that tomorrow. I should start on my car sometime this week and I will post up pics.

14. Texas Aggie

Just finished the sandblasting. It takes about and hour and 15min to blast everything off. i'm starting on a steel spare tire to ensure my equipment works properly. So far so good. I'm going to be painting here shortly.

15. Texas Aggie

Just finished putting 2 coats of primer and 1 coat of black. I'll probably post pics on my company myspace page tonight. I'll post up here to let you guys know when I do.

16. Texas Aggie

Dominion Autosports myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/487560071

Its still under construction. Haven't had much time to devote to the internet. The pics are of the spare tire I'm doing. Not finished yet either.

17. Texas Aggie

Oh yeah...add the company to ur profile. :)

18. Texas Aggie

Ok so the paint was a bust. It took to much time and didn't come out the way I wanted it too so....I'm going to be doing powder coating instead. I just ordered some of my equipment and should have the rest by next week.

19. Texas Aggie

I just received my powder coating gun and I may be getting my electric oven this evening. I should be getting the powder by the end of the week. I purchased 3 colors: gun metal, reflective black, and reflective white. I can get more colors but I'd like to order everything at once to keep shipping costs down.

For those who are interested; any color requests?

20. Texas Aggie

Ok well the oven is in a warehouse so it won't be delivered until Sat morning/afternoon but I received the powder today.