RRM Axel Back Exhaust - Rusted Off!!!

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Mpitera, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Mpitera

Mpitera Well-Known Member

So yesterday I found out that my RRM Axel back Exhaust has completely rusted off from the stock connection. I have had this for about 1.5 years and live in Long Island NY so my cars not in extreme/harsh conditions. Has anyone else had these problems?

Attached is a picture of the exhaust.
    *ignore the driveway, its where I park for work.

Attached Files:

2. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

DAMN!!! When you mentioned it yesterday I thought you were talking about the piece the rubber hanger is attached to. Looks like a half-way weld job to me. Doesnt even look thick enough to hold for how long you had it. I wouldn't think it would rust away like that. It looks like a real clean rust kill to me. Most of the time its just a hole. Not the whole thing just falling off. Call rrm and see if they have any solution to this fix. I know you had it for 1.5 years but that just isnt natural. Half a job I say.

3. Jogenmaru

You can however go to a muffler shop and have them remove that pipe and make a custom one to replace it. That's what I would do.

4. Mpitera

Speaking to RRM now via email to see if they can do anything for me. I though those things were stainless steel..so they shouldn't rust at all...or at least not like that. Waiting to hear back...

5. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

^^ I also thought they were made of stainless. That's real shitty man...hope they throw you a new one or your cash back....

6. el lancer

el lancer Active Member

That sucks plus its not cheap. I used to work in a machine/muffler shop while in college and what happened to you is that the piping in not stainless steel its just aluminized steel which works in my kind of enviorment but where it snows and salt in layed on the ground. The other issue the piping gauge it looks pretty thin which is usually the cheapest material. I would just get a new pipe done at a muffler shop but kkep your muffler it looks like a magnaflow

7. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

Another reason why I don't really like RRM's products. It seems like every week we get somebody that says they're having a problem with one of their products. And, the bad part is, is that a lot of their stuff probably works amazingly, but we don't hear about all the good things, we just notice when someone has problems.

8. Jogenmaru

My drifter style catback from them has given me no problems since I joined here. The same time I bought it.

9. shieldwolf342

shieldwolf342 Well-Known Member

description of item says its allegedly stainless i believe
    RRM Axle Back Exhaust 08+
    $399.00

RRM has been and will always be the leader of Quality lancer products and our axle back exhaust is no different. This is the best exhaust for the 2008+ Model Lancer. We use the finest components, Magnaflow Stainless Muffler and 3.5 inch dual wall tip and now it is FULLY CERAMIC COATED. Tuned for midrange and top end power, and did we mention CERAMIC COATED. Great deep sound! Direct bolt up and comes with all hardware needed to install.

10. Jogenmaru

Seems like they work there way around saying this is fully stainless steel. I assume only the magnaflow muffler is stainless steel and the rest is aluminum or something. I hope mine doesnt fall off. But It's gonna be replaced next year anyway. * a few mins later*

So my catback is full stainless. Doesn't say what material though. Just stainless. One would assume steel.

"Full stainless catback exhaust system for the 02-06 Lancer OZ, ES, LS models. This exhaust system is full polished stainless and comes with all the hardware needed for installation. It is 2.25" diameter piping and features a highflow drifter style muffler. Fully tig welded and ready to bolt on. Fits 02-06 lancer models."

11. Sinestra

Sinestra Well-Known Member

This the reason why i dont like their products. Iv given them my fair share of money for their products and imp im just not satisfied with their quality i have their front lip and SRI and both have "issues"

Sorry to hear about your issue thats some really bad rest. The guys are right taking it to a muffler shop is an option but if RRM can do something for you they need to do it. I dont remember their site stating it was stainless steel when it first came out but apparently it now is. It could indeed be made of stainless steel but it could be crappy steel. My Borla exhaust is stainless steel otherwise i would not have bought it.

12. Mpitera

Sorry guys, been busy and haven't had a chance to get on the forums. Last I heard from RRM they said that they would give me a deal "like cut down shipping or something" on a new one. I replied back with a pict, 2 days ago, stating that it should not have rusted out like this if its stainless steel. They have yet to get back to me...I am going to send a follow up email now to see if I can get any response but I'm not expecting to much...If I dont get a response today, I will be getting it fixed over the weekend..

I thought it said it was stainless steel when it first came out but I could be wong..And yes it is a Mangaflow Muffler.

13. Mpitera

Final Outcome: They will give me a discount on a new one and/or 15% off a new header...not sure where the headers came from when I was talking abotu an Axel Back Exhaust..lol So I'm going to be getting it fixed tomorrow from the muffler man. lol

14. Jogenmaru

Truthfully in your experience I would not trust the header. If the exhaust couldnt handle rust...imagine the header.That's what I would think anyway. but I have been debating on buying there rods and pistons for a while. I am leaning towards a no after seeing this. I'd rather not have something pop in my engine while I am driving. I hate to say it but there are only 2 places that makes things for our engines. It would be them and speedcorps. But there are somethings that they offer that speedcorps does not so i would have to make the easy choice of them or autozone/advance auto parts.

But head on over to the muffler man and get that patched up asap. I know your hating that sound right about now.

15. Tuner

Tuner New Member

Wow! Just from that picture I would assume you live in a area with extreme/harsh weather conditions. Hope that doesn't happen to my exhaust.

16. timschoeliertm

timschoeliertm Well-Known Member

rrm just pooped on your, for how much you paid for that they should treat you better

17. Mpitera

Nah man, I live on long island ny. We have all 4 seasons and neither of them are extreeme or anything. Yeah at the muffler shop getting it fixed now. After this experience, idk if i'd buy from rrm again. Between the quality of the product and how the act towards defects/replacments/issues. They must have known this was an issue otherwise they would not have made a new one.
    Got pooped on biiig time

18. Jogenmaru

How much for the fix? Gonna get some pics afterwards so we can see the improved job it should have been.

19. Mpitera

$60 for fix. Will post pictures later tonight.

20. Belgaram

Belgaram Well-Known Member

I went with the Psuedo N1 exhaust and it is all stainless. I am really happy with it so far with the exception of the hanger set up. I had to rig the hangers big time so the exhaust wouldn't vibrate against the frame. Other than that (and the cheap donut gasket) I am totally satisfied. But it hasn't been a year and a half yet either..

Oh and I have the RRM header and no problems yet.... ::knock on wood::