Regular gas in 08 EVO X?

Discussion in 'Evolution X - General Information' started by curtellisjr, Jun 28, 2008.

1. curtellisjr

curtellisjr Well-Known Member

OK, I know Mitsu calls for Premium, but with the direction of gas prices, will it hurt to run regular or even mid grade gas in the EVO X?

Debating on new 08 EVO vs. 09 GTS, I have driven both and there are likes and dislikes between both. I am looking for experience from EVO owners, not opinions about Octane, additives, clean burning, etc. I have already read all of these from searching for this topic. I am trying to base this on a Pros/Cons between both models.

I am not looking to Autocross, street race or add points to my driving record. At this point, the only reason the EVO is still in consideration is that it just looks so damn good. For the price difference, I know I could buy the hood, wing and wheels; and still come out cheaper, but then I would just be faking it. I have also considered waiting on the Ralliart, but it just does not look the same and I don't want an automatic.

So honest answers please to help me make my final decision.

2. Bryn1987

Bryn1987 Well-Known Member

best advice is to read the user manual and use whichever it says if u want ur engine to last longer... when u say "mitsu" says... r u talking about the dealership or the user manual?

3. curtellisjr

4. Talon_66

Talon_66 Active Member

if you're thinking about putting anything but premium in an EVO then you sir do not deserve to own an EVO.

If you want to put regular fuel in go buy a camery

5. Bryn1987

well ya, thats according to mitsu's recomendation... but it's not always the same as the user manual... try asking ur dealership to let u see

as far as talon's comment goes... i semi agree w/ him... just on the point of... if u can afford an evo... u shouldn't have to worry about the gas... meaning EVO might be just over ur budget :(

6. lordayne

lordayne Well-Known Member

I am sure that if it does not clog your turbo or engine, that it will run really poorly and rough. My mom has a truck that says 91 octane or higher and if she does not then it sounds like the whole fuel line is gunked up and it takes a few tank fulls to flush out the old gas and to run better. This truck is not a turbo either. Just from my experiences. Remember you dont buy an Evo because it is good on gas.

7. Milagro

Milagro Well-Known Member

None premium gas in an Evo = Terrible idea.

I have to put 91, cause that is all we have here, but 93 is recomended.

8. XxLaNcErGTSxX

XxLaNcErGTSxX Well-Known Member

Its a high performance turboedcharged engine, you need 91 in it. Period nothing else

9. GTS_Rob

GTS_Rob Well-Known Member

if u got money buy the EVO, if you NEED GOOD GAS MILEAGE BCUZ YOU CANT AFFORD GAS, buy the GTS cuz you cant afford the EVO bro

regular gas in a turbo :oops:

10. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

plus the performance will suck on the X if you put anything less than 91, there will be hesitation and pinging.

11. curtellisjr

Thanks guys for the opinions. Now that I have gotten the obvious answer I was expecting, I have to admit that I was using this just to help make my decision.

First, I can afford the EVO and Premium, they are not out of my budget. But I did not want to face reality that I am too old for the EVO, it should be left to those who have time to drive it like they stole it. And Talon, you are right, at my age, I don't deserve it because there would be times I would be tempted to use Regular. Not because of my budget, but out of spite against the @#$holes that have over inflated the price of oil and gas. That would not be fare to the EVO.

Second, the only reasons I am on the fence are the major differences between the GTS and the EVO in power and features. Before anyone replies RALLIART, I have considered waiting on it, that is until I face the facts that Mitsu has screwed up. What I am drawn to in the EVO is the wide body fender look, the nose and hood as well as the larger wing. Where they screwed up was making the RALLIART based on the GTS body. Don't get me wrong, I like the GTS, but if I could have the EVO body style with the RALLIART power (between the GTS and EVO) in a manual transmission, I would take one of each color.

Thanks and I guess I will settle for the GTS and just add what I can to make it look the way I want as well as performance mods to get it somewhere between stock GTS and EVO.

12. Bryn1987

u forget... ralliart is only coming out in CVT paddle shifters... so thats another reason for a no no w/ the ralliart ;)

13. lordayne

lordayne Well-Known Member

If I am not mistaken, the Ralliart is also a turbo, correct? Therefore you would run into the same issue with the premium fuel.

14. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

ive read on another forum(subaru)someone has done a test on his wrx between 87 and 93 7 tanks worth.3 of 87,and 3 of 93. the 1 tank of gas didnt count cause of the switch over fromo unleaded to premium. the ecu to learn and compensate of the diferentgas. with his test,he found out that he would be paying more a year for 87 than 93 by like $30.isnt much but does add up.he was getting less mpg on 87 and lack of performance,and gettting better mpg and the car performed how it should with premium.i cant find the link but ill post it later.

15. Talon_66

Talon_66 Active Member

No hard feelings curtellisjr

16. cramm

cramm Well-Known Member

Re:

Ralliart only comes with CVT? :( ... Big NO NO!..

17. XxLaNcErGTSxX

XxLaNcErGTSxX Well-Known Member

Ralliart comes with the TC-SST

18. brian95638

brian95638 Well-Known Member

if i had an evo, it would drink nothing but 94 chevron

19. JDMhammer

JDMhammer Well-Known Member

I guess the cost really doesnt matter now... i got 1.74 up the road from me in MA

20. TheDude

TheDude Well-Known Member

I dont think it is right to go to the point in saying you "dont deserve an Evo". Those types of comments are kinda patehtic. Who are we to determine whther or not he deserves an Evo? But, if you are even considering to buy an Evo, i dont think thast you need to worry about gas. Me, from owning a GTS, even as modded as i have it, id trade in that bish for an Evo ANYDAY. I kick my own ass for not waiting for it to come out. It by far looks more aggressive, IS more aggressive, and pure sex written all over it. And just like ajustesen says, gas is going down like crazy, so this problem is out of the picture. Get that Evo man!