Problem installing RRM Crank Pulley V2

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by EBlancerGTS, Jul 29, 2008.

1. EBlancerGTS

EBlancerGTS Well-Known Member

Tried to install this pulley this past Sunday but I can't get the 22mm bolt that holds the crank pulley off, I followed the tutorial on here and the directions from RRM but was unsuccessful. I loosen the belt via the tensioner pulley and take the belt off the crank pulley, but when it comes to taking out the 22mm bolt that holds the pulley the impact wrench just spins the pulley around and I can turn the pulley clockwise and counter-clockwise with a socket wrench by hand and i'm not able to loosen the bolt to swap the pulley.

Mitsubishi service manual shows using a special tool to hold the pulley in place while you use an impact wrench or socket wrench to take it off.

Am I missing something in the directions, I can't get the darn thing off it just spins the entire pulley around instead of staying in place so I could remove the bolt???

2. jacob1bc

jacob1bc Well-Known Member

i left the belt on and used a impact. it came right off the hard part for me was putting it back on and making sure the torque was at the correct spec.

3. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

^1... bolt before belt also be sure your impact wrench has enough torque

4. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

-1 belt before bolt.i took mine off with an impact with the belt off.is your impact even strong enough??did you leave it in gear?that could possibly help.FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS.try to find a LEVERAGE to hold the pulley it self like a crowbar or breaker bar.just try to hold the pulley in one hand and use the impact with the other.

5. EBlancerGTS

I took the belt off the first time, my impact gun is good for 350ft/lbs @ 90psi. I left it in park. I'll have to try another day when i can find something to help hold the pulley in place while taking it off. Is it safe to put all that pressure on the pulley trying to take it off even though the belt it still on?

6. EBlancerGTS

Is it safe to loosen the bolt to take the pulley off with the belt still on.

7. eTXlancer

eTXlancer Well-Known Member

i dont see what would be wrong with doing that.

8. jacob1bc

jacob1bc Well-Known Member

i did it and everything is working good

9. chileanpride06

chileanpride06 Well-Known Member

did anyone have the 1st version? just wondering cause i bought the first version when it came out, and right now no problems however i am getting a little paraniod. i was just wondering if i could just swap the old one for the new version cause i really dont want to pay another 120 when its not my fault that the 1 version is faulty.

10. EngRWW33

I personally ahven't tried but i know someone in another forum tried and RRM said that they can't swap V2 for V1...

11. EBlancerGTS

I think when i go to get my Eibach's fixed tomorrow (missing bumpstops and dust covers) I'm going to ask the shop if they can install this pulley also since they have more powerful impact guns most likely, i guess my Craftsman 350ft/lbs @ 90psi is not powerful enough either that or most likely the 5 gallon compressor i have.

12. EBlancerGTS

Does anyone know of any shops that could do this type of work in or around Middletown, NY? I just don't have the right tools to get the damn stock pulley off.

13. EngRWW33

any shop should do this for you... don't let them over charge you. It would take 30mins shop time TOPS!!!

14. EBlancerGTS

I think I may have found a shop that can do it sometime by the end of the week. If not its up for sale to the first taker.

15. znelbok

znelbok New Member

Put your socket on the bolt and then using the strong-arm (not a ratchet), brace it against something solid.

Take you leads off and then crank the engine. That should loosen the bolt.

Done it myself in the past and have seen many mechanics do it as well. Just make sure you pull the plug leads as you don't want the motor to fire, there will be all sorts of damage then.

Mick

16. znelbok

znelbok New Member

Put your socket on the bolt and then using the strong-arm (not a ratchet), brace it against something solid.

Take your [spark plug] leads off and then crank the engine. That should loosen the bolt.

Done it myself in the past and have seen many mechanics do it as well. Just make sure you pull the plug leads as you don't want the motor to fire, there will be all sorts of damage then.

Mick

17. EBlancerGTS

Now I have the stock pulley off, but how can I tighten the bolt to 155ft/lbs, should i put the belt back on to hold it in place, without the belt it just spins the entire pulley, the RRM directions aren't very helpful when it comes to the in betweens of installing this pulley. They say nothing about bracing the pulley to loosen the bolt, the manual tranny's are easier i guess because they can be put into gear which locks the pulley in place, mine being a GTS CVT, the whole pulley just spins and spins, and I don;t have Mitsu specialty tools to hold the pulley in place, those Mitsu techs must have huge arms if they are removing the bolt with a pry bar and a pulley holder.