my weird/stupid question about 08+ stock lancer intake

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by aznboiultra, Aug 15, 2011.

1. aznboiultra

aznboiultra Well-Known Member

I just remember to ask you guys about this on this forum when i was reading hyperlite662 topic about his mesh project. On the picture is a stock lancer from motortrend and i draw a circle and a arrow on the intake i want to talk about. I remember reading something on a toyota or honda or some other car with similar feature. They said it is use to make the stock intake less noisy for their car. We have 1 on our lancer model too so if i cut out that part or plug up the hole on the part where i draw the arrowing point too, will the intake make a louder noise? Or is it for something completely different?

Attached Files:

• lan.jpg
      lan.jpg
      File size:
      148.4 KB
      Views:
  2. timschoeliertm

timschoeliertm Well-Known Member

i may be wrong so dont quote me on this, but i believe that that wouldnt work, im pretty sure the reson intakes mak a engine louder is the piping size and the filter. if you want a better sound get a knn filter, they give a little more rumble to your engine and youll never have to buy a new one again, and its a lot cheaper than an intake

3. aznboiultra

i just want to ask what is that thing i circle on the picture does

4. Sinestra

Sinestra Well-Known Member

Its not going to make it less noisy the stock air snorkel is not even loud so i am not sure why you would want to do this. If anything you would want more cold air coming into the engine. Just get a drop in filter and you will be good to go.

5. aznboiultra

lol let me revise my question, what is that object attach to the edge of the right side of the snorkle and what is the purpose of it?

6. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

Still a part of the intake, however it only acts like a muffler. The intake itself is a ram air style, where the air gets up to that part of the intake tubing and simply gets crammed into the airbox. Helpful at reducing noise and nothing more.

Personally, just ditch the whole thing and get another intake and filter. I'm pretty sure they make full CAI's for our cars.

7. Zninja

Zninja Member

I learned on another forum and I just recently did this. I got a ralliart intake duct from Mitsubishiparts.net and it helps the car bring more air in and give it a little but of kick or faster accel in low rpms in my car and I also have drop in k&n.