MINI-GUIDE...MY BLACKED-OUT TAIL-LIGHTS...

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Knowledge Base' started by vik2rius, Mar 8, 2009.

1. vik2rius

vik2rius Well-Known Member

TO THOSE WHO HAVE QUESTION:
    this is how i opened up my tail-lights

dremel 1500rpm or higher with a 1/16 titanium drill bit with a few extra...

i used the section where the clear cover is glued to the housing as my dremel guide...

1500rpm will heat up the drill bit pretty fast so you gotta stop once in a while and have a small cup of water ready next to you...
    about 1.5 - 2 inches you HAVE to stop and dip the bit in a water for it to cool down (because melted plastic is VERY VERY HOT and the drill bit may break as well) and clean up the bit off plastics...then continue on...

after i got it separated...well...took out anything that can be taken out, tape up the sections i dont want to paint...then continue on blacking out the housing with a gloss black paint for plastic...

i glued it back with a SEALANT GLUE...NOT A CEMENT OR COMPOUND GLUE...
    Other note when glueing them back together is to make sure that it is sealed shut and there is no condensation or fogging up that is why i suggested sealant glue...other reason is that it can open it really easy with a cutter if you want to add some more things to it like converting it to an all out LED TAIL-LIGHT...which is actually my next project this summer since i have all the parts waiting to be installed...

this project is time consuming so get ready for it...

i didnt have many pix so this is all i got...

this is one of the section that i had dremeld and cut open...and painted off...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also painted the edges to hide the dremel hits and dings...

[​IMG]

BEFORE:

[​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

BEFORE:

[​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

2. dao.style

dao.style Well-Known Member

looks good, nice write up

3. The Beav

The Beav Well-Known Member

sweet i'll think about try'n it! looks good and that way it would be cheaper than buy'n thoes damn RA lights...

4. olvhec

olvhec Well-Known Member

Looks real good, but did I miss the part where you specified how you closed them back up lol. What kinda glue/silicone did you use.

5. vik2rius

ooopsss...sorry about that...let me edit for you...

6. skullpr

skullpr Well-Known Member

looks great bro...but i think ill stick to the overlays for now... :)

7. vik2rius

ya...me too im still going to put some overlays on it since its still abit reddish during the day...i got some 35% ones still waiting to be installed as well...

8. olvhec

olvhec Well-Known Member

:D Thank you, thats better lol. BTW did you custom fit that bumper diffuser?

9. mitsubabieexP

mitsubabieexP Well-Known Member

8O omg! looks just like RA taillights...
    i think i wanna do this instead! :D

thanks so much it looks awesome!

10. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

Good write up... moved to knowledge base...