Metra kit now on metra's site

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by grizbone, Jan 31, 2008.

1. grizbone

grizbone Well-Known Member

i know it will be here tuesday because i ordered my mounting kit and wiring harness from autotoys.com. They've been in contact with me through the whole process, and giving me a tracking number. Which i am tracking that says is on time and will be here tuesday.

2. grizbone

Thanks, ive missed my stereo so im definitely excited.

3. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Man, I own a business and still don't have mine. I ordered 5 kits. Maybe I should have ordered 1 lol.

4. grizbone

lol, i dont know. I just search around and got lucky i guess. Watch, now that i've said that, it'll get here and be the wrong part lol.

5. grizbone

UPS just dropped it off, I'll take pictures a little later and when I do the install.

6. thekidfromny17

thekidfromny17 New Member

i am clueless when it comes to this stuff. i just got my metra kit in the mail. i also got the harness. does the wire harness allow me to keep my steering wheel controls? i have a GG GTS

7. grizbone

Whatever head unit you are trying to install should have come with a set of wires plugged into the back of it. You connect those wires to the wiring harness you got in order to plug the cd player into your car.

8. thekidfromny17

thekidfromny17 New Member

ok. sorry for being a dummy.. so the volume, mode. etc. buttons on my steering wheel will still work?

9. grizbone

No the wiring harness only connects the head unit to the car, the steering wheel controls and bluetooth if you have them will not work. You have to buy seperate modules to connect those.

10. SeRious08

Bluetooth will still work, but you will need the PAC SWIX $40

11. grizbone

Bluetooth will work with just connecting metra's wiring harness?

12. grizbone

Well install is down, I will post pictures later, but overall, Im actually not 100% happy with the kit.

Oh and my bluetooth does still work, kinda. It still connects to my phone and takes the calls, just wont play any audio or stop my cd player. So I guess it kinda half works. Not really sure how to fix that.

13. arc

arc Well-Known Member

I got mine installed yesterday and its not a perfect fit sits out in the bottom left corner but maybe cause my steering wheel is on the right hand side and it was molded to the left hand drive ah well bit of sand paper will fix it.

14. grizbone

Ok, so the head unit is installed and working properly. So my question is. On the stock unit there are 2 plugins. The wiring harness uses the larger of the 2 and everything works properly. So what is the otherone used for? And why is there a 3rd harness looking deal that appears to be taped to the grouping of wires those to connecters come from?

Also, now that I have my head unit installed and working lol. I'm thinking of pulling it out and replacing it ith a avic-d3, is the wiring for those as straight forward as just a regular cd player or is there more to it? Ive heard there is but havent had the opportnity yet to mess with one.

15. SeRious08

The one harness that you don't use is for your steering wheel controls. The "extra" harness you mentioned is probably for the factory navigation units.

The Pioneer AVICD3 is a nice unit. The basic wiring is all the same but you will have to run the antenna. Its nothing complicated. If you havn't bought it yet, hit me up in PM and I'll see if I can't save you some money. I have been talking with Prophet and my business, Just For Looks Car Audio, will be a site sponsor.

16. grizbone

Ahh, I figured as much.

Now if I could just figure out a way to make my bluetooth work lol, Its still turns on, and connects to my phone. Just no sound throught the speakers. Their probably isnt a way, but it would be nice if I could.

17. SeRious08

That is strange. Because the factory navi units are JVC and BT works on them just fine. I'll see if I can't dig something up.

18. SeRious08

Ok, it appears that the other harness that was plugged in the stock headunit also contained some BT features as well as the steering wheel controls. So, from my contact source, if you buy the PAC SWI-CAN2 you should gain back all BT and steering wheel controls.

19. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You guys are some bad MFs!!!!!!!!!

20. grizbone

Awesome, thanks a lot Serious, you've been a great help.