Labtop help

Discussion in 'Way Out There...' started by JayGTS88, Dec 17, 2007.

1. JayGTS88

JayGTS88 Well-Known Member

Hello all i am going to get a new labtop for the comming spring semister but i also like the game so here is the labtop i am conserding now.

Dell XPS M1530
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7700 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache)
    Genuine Windows® Vista Ultimate Edition
    3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
    Speed: 120GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
    256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT DDR3
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal
    85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition

That will add up to be $2044

Anyone got a better choice of labtop instead of this one?

2. GODZILLA

GODZILLA Well-Known Member

isn't it spelled laptop instead of labtop.. :roll: ..idunno, i could be wrong.

3. spunx021

spunx021 Well-Known Member

what's a labtop? :? laptop, maybe??

4. tatsujo

tatsujo Well-Known Member

Overpriced. Even for gaming.

Vista has some compatability issues with games. That may pose a problem for you.

3gb is more or less a gimmick to get more money from you 667mhz might not be fast enough depending on what types of games you play. 2gb is sufficient even for the craziest gamer unless you are planning on playing Crysis. Always try to get your RAM to end in even numbers. 2gb, 4gb etc.. so that if it ran in dual channel, you should be getting all it's worth (not very common on laptop).

120gb HDD is incredibly cheap and small considering this day and age.

Wireless N, to have it means you need a wireless N router. If you don't, it will drop down to Wireless G and thus, wireless N is wasted. (gimmick for more money)

The video card is fine, but not great.

Unless you have a bunch of PDA's or sync alot with your phone (i.e. use it's internet), you wont need the wireless bluetooth option that much. You can add bluetooth via usb in the future for a mere 10$.

Sound Blaster Audigy isn't that great, but sufficient considering laptop speakers are trash anyways.

5. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Hi,

These are two sites that are pretty good for Desktops/Laptops... I always build my PCs from the ground up, you just get better quality for your buck, but laptops are hard to build, so sites like this are pretty good... Its also good for people who want a customized desktop but dont want to build it themselves.

(I linked directly to thier laptop sections for you)

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/r05/ri05.asp

http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/notebook.asp

Hope this helps

6. Guest

Guest Guest

dont forget Mac.

I like Dell. I have a few of them and they work awesome, but you gotta know what ur getting. Cuz a lot of what ur listing is just alright but not practacle for what ur doing.

7. JayGTS88

if the laptop comes with a 1GB Intel® Robson Turbo Memory dose it need 3gb instead of 2?

8. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

I have worked at a Best Buy in the computer department for 2 years now as well as have been building computers from scratch for almost 5. So, take what I say with the appropriate grain of salt.

I completely agree.

I don't agree there. I have bought from both companies before and found their units to be cheap trash as well as their extended warranty/tech support a complete and udder waist of my time and money.

My 2 cents:

1) Dell sucks three different ways sideways like a $2 whore. They use cheap parts, outsource tech support to India so you can't understand the person, and make up almost 80% of the total repair/replacement work we do at the Geek Squad at Best Buy. If they are not overheating/melting/catching on fire, they are just plain malfunctioning and or acting like a 2 year old child on crack.

2) If you want a specific setup, PM me what you are looking at doing with the laptop and I will PM back with a general parts guideline to look for. It won't be an absolute guideline, but rather list some key things to keep in mind.

3) Finally, I personally recommend http://kc-computers.com/. This small, family owned custom computer store is the best I have come across. Their prices are competitive because the markup cost of the parts often also includes labor. Kevin, the owner provides the absolute best customer service I have ever seen. He and I have emailed back and forth discussing Rig setups and pricing until almost midnight Central time on a SATURDAY, with him living in New York, so he was replying at 1 AM his time. He doesn't try to sell anything you don't need and will give you the best rig for your price range. If you want more proof, go to http://www.resellerratings.com and read about his previous customer feedback versus some of the other major customizers out there. I think you will find and agree that he and his little company are second to none all the way around.

Again, if you need any help, give me a PM and I will let you know.

Bill

9. JayGTS88

nice thx for the info bill i'll pm u soon :D