JL Audio Setup - Would like input.

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by dergre, Apr 18, 2009.

1. dergre

dergre Member

Ok guys, I would like to intall a 13W7 sub from JL in the Pro Wedge Box from JL, now the fun starts the box is well large to say the least (H) Height 18.25 in. / 464 mm (W) Width 22.5 in. / 571.5 mm (D1) Depth 18.25 in. / 463.5 mm (D2) Top Surface Depth 11.50 in. / 292 mm
    [​IMG].
    I have an 09 GTS any idea's on how to put this in the trunk and still have space I can use. The issue I am running into is the upper rear tower brace in the trunk is low the space that i can use under it is only 16.50in. I also have to put the 1900W amp some where also. Has anyone else put the Pro Wedge Box 13W7 in a lancer?
    Here is an image of the box: [​IMG]

The only idea I have is to place the box with the wedge side flat and put the amp on the bottom the the box. This would place the sub facing the back seats angled towards the top of the car.
    Any help would be great.

2. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Best bet is to build a different box but maintain the correct airspace.

The external volume of the JL box is 3.5347 cuft. Using 3/4" MDF the internal volume is around 3.05 cuft

Build a rectangular box (easiest to build) out of 3/4" MDF with these dimensions (LxHxD): 23 x 16 x 17

That will give you an external volume of 3.6 cuft and an internal volume of 3.06 cuft. Perfect for this sub!!!

Blus this will slide under the rear bar and allow a flat surface to attach your amp.

3. jarol220

jarol220 Well-Known Member

Yeah you might really like that box but If you build your own and do it right I know it will be better then the bought box. I realize you already bought it but it might be the only choice if you don't want to hack up your car. And to answer the other question... you will not have any space in there it's a trade off one or the other the only way you can have some space is if make your own box form and fit it next to one of your rear struts ( im not sure how your trunk is layed out because you have a newer lancer) or in a storage area, but then again it my be too small. just try and tweak it to get the best fit. Sorry I couldnt give you any more than that.

4. SoflaGTS

SoflaGTS Well-Known Member

i have a 12 W7 in a prowedge box
    its wedged in there forwards with the trunk bompletely stripped
    i also took off the edges of the box that stuck out and sands everything down
    GOOD LUCK
    im personally going fiberglass

5. dergre

dergre Member

thanks guys i have not got the sub yet just the amp and head unit, ill just the the sub and not the box with it. Look to be better just to build my own box like you guys said. Like the look of the jl box dangit.

6. SeRious08

If you don't mind riding around without a sub (or have RoadSide Assistance), the spare tire well is large enough for the sub and a false floor. Then add the sub grills and you still have all the room in the world for whatever your heart desires and golf clubs.

I can even post you a mini "how-to" that I did on a Honda.

7. nickbutterz

nickbutterz Well-Known Member

can you post that? Because i am actually thinking of building some sort of fake floor to hide amps and then build a fiberglass box on the side

8. SeRious08

Sure. Here you go. If you need any help, let me know. I'll just post the pics and not go into details. I am taking it that you already have fiberglass experience and won't need explaination.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. s3th136

s3th136 Member

I had a JL W7 10in in a Pro wedge box .. It wasnt in my lancer but that thing hit hard.. really hard.. and i was only pushin about 600rms to it... So that sub will hit hard anyways . befor you start building crazy boxes you might wanna test it out and see hoew loud it is without building one. unless your going for a lot of bass then id build your own box.. I have another 15in sub in a custom box now in my other car and it still dosent hit as hard as my jl did. just my 2 cents

10. nickbutterz

nickbutterz Well-Known Member

Thanks Serious. and no i dont actually have any fiberglass experience. but i can build the rest of it easy, ive been reading around on the internet and it dosnt really seem that for the fiberglass just going to have to spend time and work on it right. im prob not going to be doing it till next winter because this summer i have a bunch of other mods that im planning on. and i need time to save all the money for the system.

back to topic
    I dont know how well that would fit in the trunk if you want to keep the trunk more organized and able to be fully useful. If you know how to build a box that could fit better then i would say that. if not maybe go to a shop that can build a box for you