Interior Trim

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Customization' started by KeeganT, Mar 8, 2011.

1. KeeganT

KeeganT Well-Known Member

Ok so I've been doing a lot of research because the previous owner of my 09 Lancer managed to scuff the hell out of the trim pieces. This is what I've narrowed it down to and I was wondering if I could get some personal experiences and what you guys think best.

1. I looked at the $400 carbon fiber 67 piece kits that just have adhesive on the back and go over the existing trim. Obviously I wouldn't do all 67 pieces. Anyone ever put this on and have problems with the adhesive? Personally I think it would look cheap as hell. I want something that would replace the existing pieces not glue over it. I live in AZ so how bad would a 140 degree interior warp those pieces?

2. How easy would it be for me to just take out my pieces that are scuffed up and paint them? What kind of paint should I use and where could I get it? I'm kinda leaning towards this option.

3. Replacement OEM trim from the dealer. I have a feeling it would be expensive, but it would look brand new.

Which have you guys tried and what works best? Pics?

2. BlueDevilLancer

BlueDevilLancer Well-Known Member

vinyl wrap? maybe a dry carbon fiber wrap? pretty cheap.

3. 007

007 Active Member

if your looking to save money, i would just say paint them. But personally i haven't painted anything on my car so i would not be able to give you feed back.

4. jRox

jRox Well-Known Member

1. If you want the CF look, I'd just get CF vinyl wrap. Most people go with that and have great experiences.

2. Easy to remove, not sure which kind of paint.

3. Yes, it'll more than likely be expensive.

5. The Beav

The Beav Well-Known Member

i would save money and take the parts out and paint. depending on what you want it to look like i would go with plasti dip but thats like a flat black its a rubber coating i have used it all around my car. for example... my rims, front center bumper, front and rear logo, trim around trunk release button, side turn signals, rear reflectors. trust me using it on interior pieces will be fine. but if it colors you want http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22872&catid=699 they have a few different to offer. as far as other paints i wouldn't be able to give my opinion as i haven't tried any. i mean you can always replace them if you don't like the after effect. oh and with plasti dip there is no prep sanding it's not needed.

6. Sinestra

Sinestra Well-Known Member

Unless you really are in a position to drop the money for CF wrap. I would suggest just taking the pieces out and painting them. Maybe you could do a color theme or if you are trying to keep it stock looking just paint to match and you will be good to go. Im not sure what kind of paint you would want to use. I will ask a friend of mine who does painting what kind would be best for interiors.

7. KeeganT

KeeganT Well-Known Member

As far as the color theme if I paint them they'll probably be blue but I'm debating on a gray as well. Are the interior pieces pretty easy to pop out and put back in?

8. Sinestra

Sinestra Well-Known Member

most of them are pretty easy to pop out i think the hardest ones are the steering wheel pieces.

9. Evostation4

Evostation4 Well-Known Member

Yea, I'd go with just popping them out and painting them. I did the same with the side columns and it turned out pretty well. It's a lot cheaper than going out and buying the new parts from the dealer because they WILL overcharge you, guaranteed.

10. The Beav

The Beav Well-Known Member

^ the dealer you must mean the stealership!!! lol

11. Evostation4

Evostation4 Well-Known Member

haha, true that!