Injen Short Ram Rated Higher HP Gain than Cold Air

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by LaredoHK, Apr 9, 2010.

1. mhmayhem88

mhmayhem88 Well-Known Member

I was literally just going to post this exact same question. Yeah, so what gives???

2. timschoeliertm

timschoeliertm Well-Known Member

that is weird, but short rams are normally cheaper, so that would make my choice easy haha

3. mhmayhem88

Well I e-mailed Autocityimports just to see if the ratings were correct and this is the response I got:

"It is correct... the SRI makes more power then the CAI. Odd but correct :)"

So the ratings are correct but that still doesn't answer why it is that way...I'd be interested to know.

4. SPARTAN-163

SPARTAN-163 New Member

Hp is great and all.... But what about torque?

5. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

Torque is rated higher too.

6. BlueDevilLancer

BlueDevilLancer Well-Known Member

the piping being longer on the CAI than the SRI may have something to do with it

7. SPARTAN-163

SPARTAN-163 New Member

Well drat i just bought the cai last week, still waitin for it to arrive =\

8. colt_racer

colt_racer Member

Well, from what i have always read its mainly because the short ram has less bends than the cold air intake. Thus, making it easier for air to travel through. Better flow equals better gains.

9. mhmayhem88

Well I'm glad I compared cuz I'm gonna order one this week

10. BlueDevilLancer

i got mine before the SRI came out but oh well i'll take what i have

11. leeminho86

leeminho86 Well-Known Member

My gut tells me the SRI may produce higher numbers, but that's most likely on the first or second dyno run when the engine bay isn't at full temperature. Once the SRI is sucking in hot air, the CAI should outperform it.

12. BlueDevilLancer

a heat shield like that from the takeda SRI may help with that but off the line the SRI will have an advantege because of the time from the air to be sucked in till when it gets to the manifold.
    viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7790&start=0

13. lordtygr

lordtygr Well-Known Member

you need to see the dyno charts to see where exactly the gains take place. generally SRI is good for low end gains because as already stated, shorter tube. the CAI is generally better for higher end gains. you may gain +2 more HP but is it where you need it in the powerband? if you want to put it in drag racing terms, SRI will get you better 60' times, CAI will get you higher trap speeds (speed when you cross the line). it depends alot on how you drive. personally, most of my drive time is spent @ 2.5k rpm and above. therefore i prefer CAI. if you do alot of stop and go innercity driving, you'd probably be best with SRI.

14. mhmayhem88

Grrr...just tried to order my Injen intake from lancershop.com, placed the order last week, fast forward to today and no status update on anything, I contact them, oh it's backordered for another 7-10 business days. Ugh, then why didn't you idiots say so!? Ok, rant over.

15. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

I had problems with them when I bought my replacement shifter cage. Took almost a month to get it...

16. mhmayhem88

Yeah I cancelled with them and went with autocityimports. They price matched and are gonna do free shipping.

17. Belgaram

Belgaram Well-Known Member

I'm glad I found this post and sorry at the same time.. Now I think I'm more torn on what to do than when I started! But I would tend to guess that the SRI would be more bang for the buck over all.

18. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Short ram intake gives low end torque/power between 2.7k-4.2k rpm. Cold air intake gives high end torque/power between 3.5k-4.9k rpm.

19. Jayebird

Jayebird Well-Known Member

I was wondering how well the Shortram works in canadian winters. anyone know? as well does the plastic dip hold out?