HOW TO: Fix Curb Rashed Wheels

Discussion in 'DIY' started by roblaza, Mar 2, 2012.

1. roblaza

roblaza Well-Known Member

So I bought some new rims, and unfortunately they have a little curb rash. Im currently in the process of repairing them, and am going to start my write up. As of right now, it is incomplete, as i'm waiting for the filler to dry so I can start sanding.

Tools/ Materials needed:
    -Metal File
    -Liquid metal (filler)
    -Gloves
    -Paper towel
    -rubbing alcohol
    -Various grits of sand paper, OR S.O.S pad (to scuff)
    -some sort of plastic spatula or putty knife to aide in the spreading of the filler
    -Baby wipes (i used these to clean the wheels before i started the process)
    -AND OF COARSE the rashed wheel.
    [​IMG]

Start by cleaning the rim with the baby wipes, OR whatever you choose to use, and wipe them dry.
    Now get your file and start to work the area's that need it (where metal is raised and/or rough). IT DOES NOT TAKE MUCH to dont overdo it! While filing, especially on alluminum wheels, you dont need to press hard, the material comes off quick so take your time and be careful!
    BEFORE:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AFTER:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After you think you've finnished filing, run your fingers along the edge to look for any spots you may have missed, or spots that are still rough and/or raised. Go back over any areas you may need to. Grab the sand paper or S.O.S pad and scuff the area. You need to rough the paint up a bit so the filler has something to stick to...

Clean the area again, and use the rubbing alcohol after to make sure there's no residue or anything on the areas. NOW ITS ON TO FILLING.
    Get your plastic or putty knife and squeeze a little amount of liquid metal onto it. DONT PUT TOO MUCH ON because it's like bondo and body filler, IT DRIES FAST!!
    [​IMG]

Let it cure (it says 3-4 hours and it is sandable, BUT i'm going to leave it overnight to make sure...)

After letting the liquid metal harden overnight and most of the day, I began sanding with 320 wet/dry sand paper. It didnt take long at all to cut through the excess material, and when you get down, you can switch it up to the 400, then the 600, then the 800.

As you sand, ESPECIALLY near the end, feel with your fingers for any high spots, or spots that need more attention than others. Take your time, because what you miss now will show up after you get them painted!! If need be, apply another layer of liquid metal to fill in spots that may need it. I lucked out as the curb rash on my rims was minimal, but they still needed fixing...

here they are after about 20 mins of sanding. those spots are pretty much ready for primer, now i just need to scuff the entire rim.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and thats how you fix curb rash!! the last steps are pretty straight forward... primer, paint, clear!!

Here they are after a couple coats of primer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AND FINNISHED:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hope this simple write up helps!!