High RPM on startup

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by Talon26, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Talon26

Talon26 Member

My 11 GTS has recently been having a strange idle on start up. Usually 1500rpm and then slowly going down to 700ish over about 10min at the most. The weather has gotten cooler ( Im in texas so not too cold ) but my car was iced over. The rpm jumps too, a tick mark +/-. I dont know if this is to warm the engine up or if something is wrong with it. I'll get a video of what its doing if that will help any of yall.

2. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

My 03 does that kind of, but usually only a few seconds after start up. It'll rev up to about 1600-2000 rpms and then slowly drop down to around 600 over the course of about 10-15 seconds though. It sounds normal, but not for such a long duration of time.

3. SoulEater13

SoulEater13 Well-Known Member

during cold days my car will do that. i have 09 lancer es, its normal. since its not cold alot in texas your car is not used to it, that may be the reason for the long period. our cars learn, so it could be from that the car never learned to do that before. idk just a thought. (theory)

4. timschoeliertm

timschoeliertm Well-Known Member

they do that to burn off any h2o that may be in your cylinders, the faster your enginge runs the faster it warms up and gets ride of it, it pretty normal, no need to fear sir

5. Talon26

Talon26 Member

Got it, appreciate the quick responses yall. Its her first winter and my landcruiser never did this so I was just making sure.

and the one time it was more than 5min was when it was 33deg with the entire car coated in ice. It took about 45sec today being 65ish.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  6. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

Then you should be good.

7. 03 ES GUY

03 ES GUY Well-Known Member

Mine does it too. Especially in cold starts in the asscrack of dawn hours in the dew point. But after a good warm up. Good to go

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

8. evilstig4b1

evilstig4b1 Well-Known Member

This is normal, bro. SMH :)