DIY Rear window vents...

Discussion in 'DIY' started by lancer2quick, Jul 4, 2010.

1. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Ok, I have wanted the rear window vents from Rexpeed for quite a while new....just couldn't find myself throwing out 200+ bucks for a set. I had some Ideas on how to make them, but never started until now. Here's the how-to that I have so far...I 'm just now finished with the first half of the process, but I will post the rest when I finish.....Give me a few minutes to upload pics........

2. lancer2quick

Step 1 Tools Needed:
    DOW styrofoam insulation board
    Tape measure
    Marker or pen
    Exacto or loose razor blade

First go to Lowe's, Home Depot, Etc. and pick up a sheet of the DOW blue styrofoam insulation board. Its sold in a 4x9 sheet for around 7 bucks (the extra makes a great pad for lying on the ground while working). I had some lying around the house from other projects, found the best piece and went to work.

when you're ready to start marking and cutting, you can use the board itself or a piece of cardboard to make the template. Make sure you pull the layer of plastic from both sides of the styro.....a lot easier. I know the length needs to be roughly 25 inches for the 7Gen rear windows....height is purely up to you. Once you have the basic shape, put it into position and check the fitment. I went through 3 before I got a good fitment...lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also check how far it extends from the window...you only want enough to be flush with the door trim....
    [​IMG]

Next is another variable. Decide what size and how many holes you want in the vent. Whatever you choose, keep an even space from the top, bottom, and the other holes to help make sure it stays structurally strong. I went with 5 holes...don't exactly know the diameter...I just traced around an old can I had lying around.

[​IMG]
    When cutting the holes...TAKE YOUR TIME!! Try to keep the board as flat as possible, to avoid breaking it. I had 3 holes done, and went too quick on the fourth...and had to start all over. After you have the holes done, check the fitment and looks of the piece. If you don't like it, you can start over...adding more holes or taking some out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's as far as I have gotten as of now. The next step is going to be final shaping and fiberglassing over them. When I get to that stuff, I'll keep this going for you guys....

3. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Any updates yet? How much has this cost you so far as to buying a set from a reputable dealer??

4. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

That's really cool. Looks exactly like the ones from RRM. I thought about getting them for a while, but changed my mind.

5. lancer2quick

I haven't had time to finish them...but so far I only have about 30 bucks in them.
    7.00 for the foam board
    15.00 for the fiberglass resin
    10.00 for the fiberglass fabric

All I have left to do is fiberglass, sand, then paint them....The wife is off this weekend, so I might try to finish them then...

6. Hello there. I know this post is a little old, but it helped me to do mine.

Here i post some photos of my progress.

Materials I used: Ikea chopping board for the mold
    Plexiglass for the final piece
    Black vinyl to wrap the piece

Comments will be appreciated! :)

IMG_1095.jpg IMG_1096.jpg IMG_1097.jpg IMG_1098.jpg

7. 1slowlance

Sick. Forgot all about this. Wonder if Jamie ever finished his...

8. lancer2quick

Nice job Molina. And no, I haven't finished these. I've got them shaped and ready for fiberglass, but haven't taken the time to finish....but it's springtime now and could use them, so I might pull them out and finish.

9. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Quick question. Would a cookie cutter work better than an exacto knife? for the more perfect circle and all that good jazz

10. lancer2quick

I don't see why not.

11. evilstig4b1

evilstig4b1 Well-Known Member

I like the rally look of it, ect. but what is the purpose, goal and so forth of the "rear window vents"?

12. evilstig4b1

evilstig4b1 Well-Known Member

+1 "cookie cutter". Niiice LOL

13. lancer2quick

To let air circulate through the cabin without fully rolling the windows down. They will pull fresh air through the cowl under the windshield and out of the dash vents.

14. 03 ES GUY

03 ES GUY Well-Known Member

I never thought of those vents being much technical use except just for looks. Now that I see the real use, I might just make myself some. I still have fiberglass and resin left over from a failed attempt at make sub boxes when I had my grand am

15. roblaza

roblaza Well-Known Member

hrrrmmm... looks interesting. I'd like to see the finished product

16. 03 ES GUY

Regardless, I'll do it. My son hates the windows down. Thus the vents so air gets sucked in.

17. Thank you.
    Im working on the plexiglass right now, soon, ill upload more pictures

18. blueking_4

blueking_4 Well-Known Member

L2Q's DIY娪

Yeah, I registered and trademarked it for you. Lol!

19. 03 ES GUY

Coughbrownnosercough. Lmao

20. 1slowlance

^ Exactly what I was thinking.