DIY Fender Washers...

Discussion in 'DIY' started by lancer2quick, Apr 27, 2010.

1. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

OK...I don't know how many of you have seen these in the past, but I wanted some.
    [​IMG]

I like them, I think they are cool, and I think they're an awesome little addition to the engine bay (or wherever you want to use them). One problem with these...17.00 for 5 of these things. FIVE. Screw that, I decided to make my own...and now I'm sharing.

First thing you need to do is see how many of the factory bolts that you want to replace. I only replaces some 10mm and 12mm bolts, but I think I may do more soon.

Go to Lowe's, Home depot, Ace, any hardware store...and pick up what are called "Finish washers" and the proper size bolts. I used the #10 and #12 washers, along with M6-1.0x20 oval head machine screws (flat head screws will work better, but they didn't have any).

I then bought some of that Duplicolor anodized red rattle can, and went to town.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all there is to it....besides swapping out the bolts. 15 of these things from Password would've cost 50 bucks. I spent a total of 15 bucks for stuff to make my own. pretty good deal if you ask me. They may not have the engraved logo, but my redneck ideas have paid off for once, I think. lol

[​IMG]

2. shieldwolf342

shieldwolf342 Well-Known Member

sweet DIY awesome tip I may be doing this here eventually.

3. lancer2quick

yeah, I don't know why I haven't thought of this before today.....

4. matchstick

matchstick Active Member

5. lancer2quick

holy crap....

6. dirtylilhonda

dirtylilhonda Well-Known Member

i wanna do this. actually i was gonna do this today but i ran into a problem. i dont want to get phillips or flat head bolts. i like the allen wrench heads like the original ones. i went to lowes and looked all through their bolts and all their allen wrench head bolts are standard size. where can i find some in metric? i found bolts just like those but they were all standard.

7. lancer2quick

I was thinking about doing the allen head thing, but decided to go with phillips heads instead. I know that the Lowe's here have them, but they're black...not stainless. If you can't find any in the store close to you, I would try www.fastenal.com . They make just about every type of fasteners thought of....

8. dirtylilhonda

dirtylilhonda Well-Known Member

i just bought the jdm fender washers from power jdm. i should have them in a bit. ill post pictures when i get them install. i hope i like them as much as i think i will.lol

9. davidlanceres

davidlanceres Well-Known Member

Im thinking about hitting up the local hardware store and maken me some pretty washers haha. But seriously, it's added to my list of things to do.

10. davidlanceres

Also what color did you end up getting?

11. davidlanceres

??????? lol

12. lancer2quick

ha..my bad. The washers and bolts I bought were silver stainless. I painted the washers with some of that red anodized rattle can....

13. davidlanceres

I was asking "dirtylilhonda" lol He said he ordered them. But did the ones you painted hold up? Do they still look good?

14. davidlanceres

15. davidlanceres

[​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall review, I give them a 9.5 out of 10. Love them!