DISABLING DRL from your 2008 Lancer

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by RALLIART, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Automoglow

Automoglow Well-Known Member

We also have Xenon bulbs from streetglow that we can get if anyone would rather go that route. I have had them in my dodge ram for almost 3 years and they are still running bright! Also remeber i am a streetglow dealer so you will also get the set of bulbs with there warranty! read below!

http://streetglow.com/site/support.index.php

A cost effective alternative to expensive H.I.D. upgrades, StreetGlow Xenon White Bulbs provide a comparable look at a fraction of the cost. Far brighter and whiter than standard bulbs, StreetGlow Xenon White Bulbs are easy do-it-yourselfer upgrade.
    • Far brighter and whiter than standard halogen bulbs
    • 25 models fit most vehicles (headlights and fog lights)
    • 4 DOT models available (H1, H7, H9005 & H9006)

2. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

Thats my bad!!! I assumed Streetglow just does HID and neons. I would like some superwhites that are comparable to the piaas. Could you PM me the price and what you suggest for the bulbs.

3. LancerGTS

LancerGTS Well-Known Member

4. Subawho

Subawho Well-Known Member

Once I get a second set of fog lights onto my car, I would like to talk with you about getting bulbs for both my stock and aftermarket fog lamps.

5. Trainwrcked

Trainwrcked Member

Just something I was thinking about on the way home. There is a connector right behind each headlight. When you unplug it, the lights are off (all of them). In theory, if you could isolate the prong that is the DRL, wouldn't it make sense that the ECU would think it's connected when really that prong wouldn't be touching the reciprical prong. I know it sounds like a hack, but like I said, it's just something I was thinking on the way home. I don't have the tools to check voltage or anything like that, but maybe someone else could?

6. bras_33

^ good idea, I think at this point anything is possible. I know at work we have to think old school sometimes

7. kinkbmxrydr

kinkbmxrydr Guest

good news to all. i talk to the mitsu mechanic today and he said that you can disable the drl but him and his boys will not do it for me. but he did tell me it is plug and play. theres a clip near the headlight he told me. he pointed it out but he told me that i should goto a professional since they are really sensitive.

8. Trainwrcked

Trainwrcked Member

Can you post some pictures of it for us all? I'd like to see what the clip looks like so I can possibly try it out. Thanks and good looking out! :D

9. bras_33

^agree

10. kinkbmxrydr

kinkbmxrydr Guest

i havent done it yet. he showed me where it was though. he said its right next to your headlight, there should be a clip take the clip off and plug the drl out. when i was looking in there, it looked pretty hard to get in there

11. Automoglow

Automoglow Well-Known Member

Ok so who is gonna be our guinea pig ???

12. gatzaraki

gatzaraki Well-Known Member

does anybody bother if the brake light is on in order to disables the drl?
    i had a toyo,matrix and all i had to do was to cutoff the little wire that is on the e-brake and ground it next to a bolt right next to it

13. Trainwrcked

Trainwrcked Member

I don't think the E-brake theory will work because even if you shut your car off, pull the ebrake just one click up and start your car, the DRL's will be off, but as soon as you go 2 mph or more, the VSS will reconize that you are driving and turn the DRL's on for you even with the ebrake up. Plus, having that ebrake light on would bother me to no end.

14. brian360

brian360 Member

So I did some probing with an oscope. From my reverse-engineering, it looks like the DRLs are controlled by the ECU (the ETACS ECU?? Not sure) by sending a pulse-width modulated signal to the low beam bulbs.

In a nutshell, the ECU internally grounds a pin that goes to the fuse box (in the engine compartment). In the fuse box is a "relay" (actually a transistor or a pair of transistors likely) that has a big heatsink on it. When the pin from the ECU pin has +12 volts, the transistor is "off" and the low beam bulb is not lit. When the pin is grounded (either by you shorting it to ground (with a pull-down resistor for safety) or the ECU grounding it), it turns "on" the transistor that provides +12v to the headlights. For the DRLs, the ECU essentially pulses this pin at about 65Hz with a 35% duty cycle (which is actually inverted by the transistor so the light bulb itself receives a 65% positive duty cycle) to make the bulbs dim slightly. I can post oscillocopse screen caps once I get them from my friend (we forgot to copy them). When you turn on the low beams, rather than pulsing the signal, it just keeps the pin grounded so the headlight lights at full brightness.

I have some ideas for disabling the DRLs with a 100% plug 'n play circuit that will involve a PIC microcontroller so you can customize how the DRLs operate based on your needs (i.e. HIDs == DRLS always off, rest of us have easy way to manually disable DRLs or change their brightness). Basically it'll involve detecting and filtering out the pulse width modulated signal from the ECU and controlling the headlights independently.

Unless someone else has a much easier way to disable them (i.e. from a mitsu scan tool), I'm planning on making some prototypes. I gotta write the microcontroller code, design an interface circuit, and a circuit board that will fit in the existing transistor socket in the fuse box. It'll take me some time in my busy schedule, but I expect that it'll be pretty cool to be able to completely customize how your low beams/DRL's operate based on how YOU want them to, not mitsubishi.

15. chetman7

chetman7 Well-Known Member

^^ wow...that soudns great. def keep us posted, I noe nothing about engineering circuitry, but that sounds plausible

16. gatzaraki

good luck man,keep us updated 8O

17. nanonyc

nanonyc Well-Known Member

that sounds like ... computer control everysingle thing on our cars.... what about if maybe we need to get the scanner or so for our year... and edit the chips on our computer to turn off the DRL?????

18. gatzaraki

19. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

Pics would be great if you can get them.

Bill

20. gatzaraki

here is