custom exhaust

Discussion in '7G Lancer and older - Performance' started by mitsuG, Sep 16, 2010.

1. mitsuG

mitsuG Well-Known Member

i was wondering if you had a shop do a custom cat back exhaust how would that effect the performance versus a brand name catback? in my eyes it would be cheaper but ive heard that custom exhaust can sometimes make you lose hp. buddy of mine did a dyno run before he had a custom exhaust made. than did a dyno after the custom exhaust was finished and he lost hp significantly. he jus ended up buyin a brand name cat back.

so has anybody found this out to?

2. y2ray7697

y2ray7697 Well-Known Member

I haven't done a dyno run, but the feel of it is significant to me. I had a bolt on exhaust and it wasn't loud enough for me so I had them reuse the can it came with and do all new piping from the cat-back (2.75", opposed to the 2.5" bolt on) There was a lot more pickup after I got the custom work done to it, IDK if it was because of the can that was on it, or what. But, that's just my opinion...anyone else?

3. davidlanceres

davidlanceres Well-Known Member

You could get an Ebay catback for like $200 shipped or a decent name brand for around $500. You certainly arent going to gain much if any hp, but I doubt you will notice a power loss with a shop making you a catback either. It's really up to you, but I have the Ebay "Tsudo" Catback and I love it! $200 well spent.

4. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

I had the Tsudo for my R/A...which was 2.5". I then did a custom 3" with a alphaWerks canister...seemed to help top end power. About 6 months ago, I had a custom 2.75" with the same canister, and it seems to be a lot more even all through the RPM range now...

5. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

I wonder if rrm will make a custom one. Im looking to make the diameter in mine a bit wider for my turbo app. I was hoping for 2.75" or 2.5". I think 3" is too big for 10psi.

If 2.25" is perfect for N/A 4g94 the what is perfect for a 4g94-T at 10 psi(roughly 205whp)?

6. mitsuG

mitsuG Well-Known Member

yea i was just wondering. i guess it just all depends on the diameter of the piping being used. so 2.75" pipe is preferrable or 2.5"?

7. davidlanceres

2.5 for non turbo.

8. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

I thought the best piping for non turbo was 2 1/4"?

9. mitsuG

mitsuG Well-Known Member

RRM's cat back is 2.25"

so i might try that size diameter out n if not ill go with 2.5"

10. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

I have rrm's exhaust. It sounds pretty good. It's loud and deep and yet almost ricey but not there. It's almost perfect. If they sold 2.75" it would be perfect for my turbo setup. I think they should offer that. One exhaust for N/A and another for Turbo. Im sure they would get a lot more sales on there exhaust if they offered a turbo sized one.

11. timschoeliertm

timschoeliertm Well-Known Member

if you go n/a the best route is 2.25, turbo i would say say 2.75, but price wise your probably better off gettin the n1 catback off ebay for 200, from what everyone says it sounds good and its reliable

12. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure rrm's exhaust is the same thing that I have from ebay.

13. davidlanceres

Spending $200 and spending $500 on an exhaust for an NA lancer isn't going to make a difference honestly...either way you're not going to see a significant power increase.

14. timschoeliertm

timschoeliertm Well-Known Member