Component Speaker Install

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by Oni, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

So I am having issues getting my components installed. I made some 1" MDF spacers, but they still had a gap between the speaker and the door with the magnet hitting that bar in the door. If I space it out more, it seems like the door panel doesn't have enough room to snap back on properly. How'd you guys make it work or have any ideas/pics.

Thanks

EDIT: components are a set of CDT CL-62s

2. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Whats thier mounting depth?

3. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

2 3/4

4. SeRious08

The stock front speakers are right at 1 3/4 with out any interference. By adding a 1" thick MDF mounting ring it should work. Your trim ring needs to be perfect too, because it can catch on tabs ond pins if not. Post some pics of what you have.

5. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

No pics available atm, but if I fit the 1" ring on the speaker, it fits flush, but when I put the speaker in the door, the magnet catches on the metal bar that runs through the door and there is a gap between the spacer and the door.

6. SeRious08

With a 1" spacer you shouldn't be having these issues. Weird. Post some pics as soon as you can so I can get a good visual of whats going on. Because, several have done this without issues. Me, I just built custom door pods. :D

7. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Well, If I could do that I would have. Heh. I'm starting to wonder if the specs say 2 3/4 and it's really 3".

8. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

What's more agitating are people with 3.5" depths with .5" spacers getting it to fit. I think my car hates me!

9. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Ok. So I found out for sure they had the wrong spec sheet in the speaker box they shipped me. The actual depth is 3" not 2 3/4" so I'm a 1/4" off! :evil:

Couple questions for you Serious. How much spacer can I use until the panel won't clip back on properly due to the trim on the factory grill. And did you see my PMs?

10. SeRious08

That sucks!!!

Thats a good question. I never measured. But I am sure a 1" spacer fits. For a temp. fix or a "see if it works" project. Go to a Home Depot and buy 4 rubber 1/4" gaskets. The smaller ones that are just big enough for the screw to fit through. Place these under the 1" spacer and mount to door. Then see if the speacker will fit. If it does, try putting the panel on. I would think that there is plenty of room for a 1 1/4" spacer.