Coilovers - Tein Vs Megan Racing

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Suspension' started by I Am God, May 4, 2009.

1. I Am God

I Am God Active Member

aight so im in the market for some coilovers...after a closer look at the features..i dont understand why some people are waiting for the Tein Basics to be released instead of gettin the megan's? the megans actually have pillowball upper mounts wit camber plate, while the teins dont have either of those..OR even adjustable damper, which the megans have 32 *might be a bit too much but still has it*..all u can do with the teins is adjust ride height...

there is a shop in malaysia that sells tein super streets for cy4a and will ship to the states..but still those are without the pillowball upper mount yet it does have 16 setting damper adjustment, 1190$ US, while i can get the megans for like 890$ shipped

so wtf? am i missing something?????

2. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

Nike vs Champion
    Kellogs vs ValueTime

See where I'm going with this???

3. I Am God

I Am God Active Member

LOL "the stranger" vs actually having a stranger do it for u?

i suppose..so the features rnt a real big deal its jus the quality eh..

what about goin for the super streets vs the basics? worth it? can u even convert super streets to have a pillowball upper mount/camber plate?

4. jarol220

jarol220 Well-Known Member

I know when I lower my lancer I am going to use megan, the reason is the different ride height settings, there are times when I wish my es was had a gsr shock style. I have a cabin in the woods and it getts pretty bumpy and having an incresed ride height would help alot with that. Jarol+megan= no scraping! plus then when I want to ride low I can and from what I can see on my friends K20 civic it looks pretty nice.

5. bambam

bambam Well-Known Member

i know there is some1 on here or project lancer selling their megans for 600

6. bambam

bambam Well-Known Member

its under small part out i think

7. I Am God

I Am God Active Member

thanks put stick to topic plz? id like some more input if u guys can, much appreciated thanks

8. Xed32

Xed32 Member

9. I Am God

I Am God Active Member

i just finally receieved an email from tein about their basics.. should be realesed in the "coming months of this year"...whatever the hell that means...but he also said they are considering releasing FLEX coilovers for our chassis..these woud have the upper mount with camber adjustment, 16 level damper adjustment, full height adjust, and probly the 1 thing most care about..EDFC compatible

10. jacob1bc

jacob1bc Well-Known Member

i have the megan coilovers and i love them , but i had the tein basic coilovers on my last car and would say hands down the teins are so much better. i can't tell you why i say that, you just have to feel the ride difference. now for the money you pay for the megans it's a great deal. when your on a budget the meagen coilover are fine. if you are going to go to the track a lot then go with the tein coilovers.

11. momokoo

momokoo Member

12. Carvs

Carvs Active Member

I'm ordering my TEIN's tomorrow, whole coil kit. I'll let you guys know how they are when they come in

EDIT: TEIN coils have been ordered, they are being shipped to me Nov. 10th, stay tuned

13. OnTheGrid_NOLA

OnTheGrid_NOLA Active Member

just to throw in a lil $.02, i just installed the D2 coilovers on my 08 lancer, i have to adjust them do to my installation error, but they handle like no other, my cousin had a tc with the basic teins and he drove my car, said his tc had nothing orn the ressponse and ground sticking ability of his car. im extremely happy with them

14. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

as stated before, its really a preference. Tein is well known throughout the country, Whereas Megan Racing is local here in So Cal. I have driven both sets on the same car and I cannot really tell the difference. Granted i am not a professional . Just some input...if you are using your lancer as a DD, i would suggest lowering springs. If you use it for rallying or autocross, like I do, I would go with coilovers

15. OnTheGrid_NOLA

really, u autox? thats pretty sweet, mines not a daily driver but i do a lot of...spirited driving, i guess u would call it....

the d2s are pretty sweet, all though ur right, ive never used any other setup because this is my first set, it really is up to preference

16. Carvs

Carvs Active Member

Got the kit much later than expected. Awaiting winter to be over to install them. I'll keep you posted.

17. Carvs

Carvs Active Member

Sorry about the lack of an update, I installed the suspension about a month ago and wow, what a difference! The car feels awesome, it's still comfortable to drive around town and the handling is amazing.

18. OnTheGrid_NOLA

Props man! How about a pic or 2? How slammed are you?

19. HiPowerMtrsprts

HiPowerMtrsprts Well-Known Member

20. Carvs

Carvs Active Member

Not too sure how much it's lowered, I just went on a measurement on the installation guide which is on the coilover itself, not the wheel well clearance.
    Pics can be found here though: viewtopic.php?f=93&t=7646