change PCV valve

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by DragnRidr85, Oct 4, 2009.

1. DragnRidr85

DragnRidr85 Well-Known Member

Hi all. Can someone help me out and tell me where exactly the PCV valve is located in the 2008 Lancer model? Trying to save some money by changing it myself instead of the dealership but not quite sure where it's located. It'd be great if someone could give me a quick walkthrough on how to change it.

Thanks!!

2. khaos

khaos Active Member

might have to look in the manual for this

3. DragnRidr85

i checked out all the manuals that came with the car but no mention of where/how to change pcv valve..

4. NJ08LancerGTS

NJ08LancerGTS Well-Known Member

if you remove the plastic engine cover it should be located on the rear left side of your engine. there is a fat black hose connected to it. the pcv is screwed into the valve cover

5. DragnRidr85

awesome. thanks a bunch

6. Mpitera

Mpitera Well-Known Member

um..dumb question but what is a "pcv" and why would you want to change it??

7. DragnRidr85

pcv = positive crankcase ventilation. You've got your combustion chamber filled with high pressure gases from combustion. A small bit of these gases can sometimes leak into the crankcase where they shouldn't be and this would cause wear and tear in the long run. The PCV valve allows for these gases to re-enter the combustion chamber via the intake while putting some fresh air instead into the crankcase. The gases passing through the valve can eventually cause the valve to get "sludgy" and stick between open/close cycles. Usually recommend getting it changed or cleaning it 24-30K miles. At least that's how i believe it works.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong

8. Mpitera

ohhh ok...now is this just for manual cars because I dont believe i've ever had that clean and I have 50k on my car. I have CVT

9. NJ08LancerGTS

NJ08LancerGTS Well-Known Member

all cars have this. no matter if its auto, maual, cvt, or sst or w/e else they can think of nxt lol

no offense but if your doing your own maintence on your car, u better start learning what else you need to change besides spark plugs, oil and filter.

also on that note, my gts had 35k miles on it before i traded it in and the pcv valve was just like brand new, so check before you replace.

10. Mpitera

None taken. Thats why I'm asking about these things so I can learn. Thanks for the info.