Can we Remove the Cali restriction?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by JayGTS88, Nov 23, 2007.

1. JayGTS88

JayGTS88 Well-Known Member

Is there a way to remove that dam cali Pzev it is talking away the ponies :cry:

2. BigSteve

BigSteve Well-Known Member

whaaa?

3. Dukekid0987

Dukekid0987 Well-Known Member

im lost?

4. AeJarrotto

AeJarrotto Well-Known Member

if i'm not mistaken they just detune certain parts of your powertrain to meet cali's strict emissions. if you can figure out what is detuned, i'm sure you could reverse it. but i don't know who would know.

good luck with that.

5. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

What JayGTS88 is referring to is the fact that if you bought, own, and operate your Lancer in California, state law requires a lot higher and stringent requirements in for emissions standards than those put out under federal law by the EPA.

To answer your question, it depends on how Mitsubishi went about making the Cali Lancer Pzev able. If they did it by adjusting the tuning on the standard vehicle hardware, then a ECU flash or replacement which controls the fuel/air delivery which affects the HP and the overall emissions should do what you want. If it a hardware difference, then you would need to find out from a local Mitsu dealer or by contacting Mitsu North America directly through their customer relations telephone number or email to inquire which parts cause the Cali Emissions "restriction". Then, replace them with parts from another states dealer or through a order direct from Mitsu North America or (cheaper, but harder to find), find replacement parts from another state that are from a junk out or totaled vehicle.

Bill

6. JayGTS88

Thx for clearing that bill do u know how to contact them? u have their email or something?

7. JayGTS88

bill i though you know someone that works is there a way to ask them?

8. angryGTS

angryGTS Well-Known Member

I know with the 3g Eclipse they put a pre-cat on there, so that wasnt tuning maybe its the same with the Lancer, I havnt seen a Cali model to compare since im in Florida.

9. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

I believe its not just in Cali...NY and NJ have the same pzev "power"

10. WildBill

JayGTS88 - I spoke with one gentleman and a young lady on several occasions, however, I can not recall off the top of my head there names. The following URL link takes you to the webpage that has Mitsubishi Motors North Americas contact phone number so that you can ask for yourself. Every time I have contacted Mitsubishi North America or they called me, it has been a pleasant experience, so don't be afraid to give them a ring.

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/contact.do

Bras_33 - California is the only one that is rated for the more stringent standards that takes away about 10 to 15 HP. While both cars are built for the higher EPA standards, they come out to different emission standards. The only way that NY or NJ should have them would be if either:

1) They were selling a Cali spec. one
    2) They detuned it (very unlikely)
    3) State law recently changed that reflect new standards (doubt it as it would be stated in the fine print by Mitsu immediately)

So if you have or have seen a Cali spec. in another state and it is not a Cali out of state plate, I feel sorry for the owner as they got took IMO...

Bill

11. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

Really, thats interesting. I thought the pzev was rated at 143hp and that pzev was being used in NY and NJ. I probable misread it somewhere.
    Good looking out.

12. WildBill

no prob.

Bill

13. JayGTS88

bill i called today and spoke to some lady that told me she dont know about the cali Pzev and switch me to a tech he said he cant give out the info :cry: to anyone unless u work in a legal mitsu shop

14. JayGTS88

This is the info i found on PAXtech this is what's on it

The 2008 Lancer's new all-aluminum MIVEC 4-cylinder engine has been designed to deliver a unique blend of performance and efficiency. With an overall weight savings of 60 pounds relative to the previous Lancer engine, the new version meets the tough PZEV (partial-zero emissions vehicle) emissions rating, helping preserve the environment and ozone layer, while still achieving a segment-best 152-hp and 146 lb-ft of torque among vehicles powered by 2.0-liter engines. A PZEV-rated Lancer engine as equipped with a complex catalyst system produces 143-hp* in comparison proving that power and environmentalism can live in harmony. The new Lancer achieves an impressive 29** highway miles per gallon, while still offering a quick 0-60 time of 7.7 seconds***. Other vehicle emissions countermeasures, as required to meet the stringent PZEV regulations, include zero evaporative emissions system that addresses vapors from the fuel system, the battery, and fumes from plastics.

so dose that mean the pzev on our cars are only the complex catalyst system? sry new at cars

15. WildBill

What this means is that both Cali spec and standard U.S. spec meet the PZEV regulation mark according to the EPA federal level guidelines. Cali, ironically, has a higher requirement of its vehicles for emissions. So, what the article you found is stating, if I am reading it correctly, is that the only difference between a U.S. spec and Cali spec is the catylitic converter. If this is true, then Cali people are S.O.L. because messing with the Cat. Converter voids your warranty. Sorry...

Bill

16. JayGTS88

so will the new injen ses catback void warranty?

17. WildBill

It really depends on how strict both the manufacturer (in this case Mitsubishi) and a local dealer interpret the wording of the extended warranty should you ever need to bring it in for major service. Most of the time, however, any change to the catalytic converter from OEM generally results in a void of the warranty from what I have come across because it directly affects the emissions of the vehicle which is a major regulated part that the manufacturer is held accountably for for other parts in the engine should something go wrong. Again, if you ever are concerned about what will and won't void your warranty, the best thing to do is to contact the manufacturer directly either by phone or email and let them tell you so its black and white. In this case, the grey area is the place of evil.

Bill

18. JayGTS88

Bill i got a question if i order a federal spec cat and a federal spec ecu will it work on my car? I know it voids warranty but it's fine for me.

19. BrianRRM

BrianRRM Well-Known Member

federal spec car is minusone cat from a cali spec, and the ecu is the same on both cars, the difference is another vital part of the engine, but i will never say, LOL :D

20. JayGTS88

:cry: please say