Best Transmission Fluid for an old transmission

Discussion in 'Automotive Care' started by shieldwolf342, Jul 6, 2010.

1. shieldwolf342

shieldwolf342 Well-Known Member

So I have and older transmission its the original 03 tranny with about 110.000 miles on it and its time to try to save it since now that it has warmed up a LOT here in NY it seems to slip and sometimes seems to totally skip thru gears from reverse to first ( i do a lot of backing out lol )

what do you all recommend as my plan of action?

2. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

know what you mean about the NY heat, just got back from the Chi and it was hotter than So Cal...

not sure if you did it but do a tranny flush and replace the filter. Hopefully this will help.

3. shieldwolf342

ya i plan on doing a flush looking for what people like the best to refill the system with.

4. Ciphony

Ciphony Well-Known Member

i dont think replacing the fluid is a good idea...IMHO after the transmission starts slipping the fluid takes pieces of the clutches and bands into the fluid. Now when you change out that nasty dirty fluid you are also taking clutch material with it. New fluid is nice and clean but because you drained half your clutch out with the old fluid it starts to slip more. As far as what to do now that it is slipping... 1 of 2 things. Either look for a replacment transmission. or have a shop rebuild your current one. Prices can vary depending on model. But assuming you have an 03 like i do (cept mine is a manual) the transmission itself is relatively cheap. I bought an 03 2.0 motor with 20k on it for 300$ shipped to my door.
    You can try to change out the fluid, but when you put the new stuff in and it slips worse you will know what to do next.

5. shieldwolf342

I was gonna start with fluid because its something I can do but ya I'm figuring I'm gonna have to look at a new tranny here soon anyways hoping actually to find a used one get that rebuilt and the swap that one in so I'm not without a car hopefully the fluid change works but we shall see