AUX Cable

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by Eric1180, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Eric1180

Eric1180 Active Member

the dealer told me that i could hook my ipod up to the car through thouse red and white holes but i went to wal-mart to find the right cable but they had no idea what i was talking about does someone help me find the right cable

2. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

^apple store or best buy.

3. AeJarrotto

AeJarrotto Well-Known Member

Walmart has the correct cable for audio, but you will need a apple cable that connects through the ipod's dock to view video. , for just audio you can buy a Miniplug to Left / Right RCA Jack Stereo "Y" Adapter, such as this

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3913841

or go to your nearest electronics store and pick up that same type of cable.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5238459
    or get a charger with it to keep your ipod fully juiced.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5750877
    or this one that combines a dock and audio cable.

Just keep searching the internet for an Ipod A/V connection, just make sure it has the RCA or composite output.

or check the apple store like bras_33 said.

4. lovemylancer420

lovemylancer420 Well-Known Member

anyone know of a way to hook an aux up to the stock cd player w/out the aux output? is there anything i can do?? I just had my subs installed on the factory deck and i was asking about it, but he wasnt sure.

5. bras_33

The apple store does have them!!! I saw them a few minutes ago in the store.

6. lovemylancer420

wouldnt they charge an arm and leg for one? I picked one up from bestbuy for 5.99 for my old car. it was WAY better than the iLogic one I got for almost 30...

7. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

If your old radio has the ability to support satellite radio, being an employee at Best Buy, I know some of our install guys can adapt that port into a hard wire connection for iPods and MP3s. Other than that, you really only have the universal FM modulator method which can occasionally have static and be annoying in big cities with multiple radio stations fighting for the same air wave space.

At Best Buy, if you go into the Home Theater section, you will find in the cords and wiring section a 3.5mm to 3.5mm as well as the Y-adapter 3.5mm to Red/White hooks cording from RCA that are geared toward home theater use, but can be used in vehicles as well. Best of all, they run right at $5 versus the more expensive Monster and Dynex brands that float around $13 to $30 for the same connection. Kind of a no brainer.

Bill

8. lovemylancer420

my old car head unit actually had an aux output along with the the sub & mid outs. so it was easy to hook up and do myself. i live in a big city and have tried the fm mod but it blows. ive just been burnign mp3 cds to make do, but its not nearly as good as having a direct ipod hookup...

9. jRox

jRox Well-Known Member

damnit. i didnt get the sun&sound package, so i dont have an aux port installed.

the dealer said it wud be $144 just to install an aux port....... anyone know a way around it?

10. bras_33

^ the easiest is the fm transmitter but they run $60+, if you want to run your iPod.

11. LancerGTS

LancerGTS Well-Known Member

i had one of those when i used to go from car to car, its ok but the sound quality is nothing like the straight aux cable

12. lovemylancer420

I agree...NOTHING like a straight AUX cable

13. bras_33

agree also but for a quick and easy fix thay maybe the best route.

14. jRox

jRox Well-Known Member

hmm yeh. thats the reason why i havent bought the FM transmitter. i want good quality with the AUX cable but i also want to avoid paying $144..

15. bras_33

^ I know one of the "best" transmitter is about $80 and it sounds ok. Add another $70 and you may end up getting it hard wired. I suggest, ask someone who has the transmitter and test it in your car to see if you like or can live with the sound quality. Just an idea.

16. LancerGTS

LancerGTS Well-Known Member

which ipod u got?

17. mugsy1piranha

mugsy1piranha Member

i had subs installed to my stock head unit and the guy at the audio place i went said there is a piece they can install for 40$ that can add aux spots to any head unit so i got it then they also have one they can put on that has 3 spots for 3 diff amps to hook up to in the back for competition

18. bras_33

60gb. This one cat at work was in need of some quick cash and gave him 3 bills for it and it was only 2 weeks old :D

19. jRox

jRox Well-Known Member

i bought the $80 transmitter and i still didnt like the quality.

20. bras_33

^the belkins or the monster? I got the monster and I agree, it sucks!!!