AMP FRIED!

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by y2ray7697, Feb 16, 2009.

1. y2ray7697

y2ray7697 Well-Known Member

OKay guys, I haven''t been on here in FOREVER so I apologize for that, but on to business. Today I got my 2008 GTS back from the shop. The other day when I turned the car on, there was no audio at all...(I have the Rockford Fosgate 650W system with the 10"sub and the 30gig navi in it). So I turned it off and back on and there was a horrible screaching noise and scratching. I turned everything down and off and still no change, when I turned the audio back on the music played FULL blast with the speakers turned all the way down.

Enough of the backstory with that...a year ago I had underglows installed on my car and today found out that when they were installed there was never anything used to plug up the holes where the wires went up into the car. DRUMROLL PLEASE...my amp was friiiiiied from water damage! I had a custom audio shop do the underglows, so my question is this....rather than making a huge case out of this and having to shell out $688.85 for a new amp from Mitsu, is it AT ALL possible, if I could get the guy to agree to it, to have an aftermarket amp put into the car and still have everything work the same?

Just let me know, thanks!

2. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

I think it is not worth it to be able to get the crappy RF stock sound.. i say to use this as an excuse to get a goot amp and rewire that bich

3. skullpr

skullpr Well-Known Member

^+1 i would deff tell them they owe me a new amp and possibly new speakers...because if the amp fried their is a possibility the speakers could have got affected...

4. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

yeah man...i had the same thing happen to my factory amp....only it wasn't water damage. It just died. I had the Infinity system in mine, but when that happened...i didn't pay the 1200 bucks for a shitty 600 watt amp. I just bought a new Kenwood and rewired the whole car. It sounds like a lot, but it only cost me 300 bucks and a day of wiring....plus i got better sound quality.

5. blkdout1

blkdout1 Well-Known Member

where did he drill the holes to put the wires into your car, that sounds crazy!!! I have drilled holes in my car to run wires a detailed spot of where the wires were drilled into your car would be great

6. LuvMyLancer

LuvMyLancer Well-Known Member

It's not crazy. My car has a huge hole under the driver's seat where my underglow wires are ran through ;) I've felt the cold air at my feet all winter haha. My amp hasn't fried yet though ...

7. blkdout1

blkdout1 Well-Known Member

i put a huge 1 inch hole under my passenger seat to run my storbes but I placed it perfect you know under your car on both sides there is that piece of steel the is like a rectangle that runs from front to back. i drilled in into that and pulled the wires through the holes that are in that reatangle piece

8. y2ray7697

y2ray7697 Well-Known Member

Well here's the deal....I took it into my "car guy" and he flipped the fuck out on me! He starts yelling it's not his fault and that they put Dynamat over all the holes they drill and my dealership is trying to pull one over on me. Yet, he refused to pull up the carpet and SHOW me the dynamat he claims they installed saying that anyone could've taken it out, so I told him do it anyways and show me the tar residue. He still refused. This morning I peeled back some of the carpet cuz he swore up and down that it couldn't be him cuz he guarantees there would be rust somewhere in the car and guess what....RUST! Not a shitload, but spots all over near the hole and leading back to the amp. I also have pictures of my car up on a lift where you cna see right up into the car. I'm not stupid and I'm not being an ass about this but I don't wanna pay all this money when it's not MY fault.

I'm gonna try one more time to have him pull up the carpet and try to work a deal with him to buy an amp and wiring off him and have him do it for free instead of paying me any money. However, is there a cutoff as far as power for the stock equipment? I don't wanna end up frying something else.

9. olvhec

olvhec Well-Known Member

Man that sucks, I hope it works out good for you.

10. lancer0220

lancer0220 Well-Known Member

why not just run the wires in the wheel well into the car...

i dont see why people put holes in the bottom of their car :?

thats just me, i would have just extended the wires to run where i needed them, theres even a place at the rear under the bumper to run wires into the trunk, this is how i wired my lazer shifter.

11. LancerRA09

LancerRA09 Well-Known Member

Wow, why in the world are people drilling holes into their cars?!? That's the reason you have rust is cuz the painted undercarrage got frilled into and allowed water into the inside =/ frightening

12. jacob1bc

jacob1bc Well-Known Member

well you can always drill a hole and use some spray paint to cover the bare metal. that way it stops the rust.

13. pimpinfern

pimpinfern Well-Known Member

ok first, why have a shop do the halos for u, simple power and ground hookup
    two, why would u want the stock system, why not just get a new one, the stock system sucks

oh and LuvMyLancer, put some silicone on the hole so u dont get that draft and run the risk of water damage and rust PLEASE!

and drilling holes into the bottom of the car isnt bad as long as u arent dumb about it, personally me i drilled the hole for my systems power cable right by the dead pedal and i made it smaller than the cable so the cable forms a seal but now im gun go back and silicone it just to be safe

14. papi2dmamis

papi2dmamis Well-Known Member

Primer should have been applied in the spots that the installer drill in your car to avoid rust build up, then silicone the holes. You can also get that black anticorrosion spray paint for added protection at any automotive store. :drunken: :drunken: