8th gen or 9th gen?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by davidlanceres, Sep 26, 2010.

1. davidlanceres

davidlanceres Well-Known Member

What the puck? So I always thought the 08-up was the 8th generation of Lancer..

http://www.9glancers.com/

So which is it? haha...sorry for the stupid question, just confused.

2. DGJ08GTS

DGJ08GTS Active Member

3. davidlanceres

hmms So mine is an 8th gen according to wiki.

4. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

This has been beat to death....some call it 8gen some call it 9gen. There are valid points to both arguments, but we here at LT are right. Cause we're awesome. Period. Period after period.

5. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

I've already said my piece on the 7th/8th/9th gen topic and I am sticking with it. But If we go by wiki then the base lancer goes along side the evo. Which, according to mitsubishi it never has until the 7th generation of lancer and evo which overlapped. If the 04-06 US lancer is indeed the 8th generation lancer and the 08 to current is the 9th gen. Then what is to be said about the lancer having the 4b11 and 4b12 engines.

Wouldnt that in itself be another lancer. 2008 has the 4b12 engine if im not mistaken and 09and up have the 4b11 in it. So would that one year cause another generation. But if we went on that basis then there is no difference between the 2002-2006 engine except the return fuel system. And if we also went by that then the evos 6/7/and some early 8's are the same generation. Where as the later 8's were the ones that recieved ACD controls.

So the whole generation of lancers is hard because there is no way to tell the with the lancer name being so expansive. Originating from Dodge. Was the original fwd lancer (basically our version). Then Mitsubishi actually bought Dodge and renamed it the colt in Asia. And took the Lancer name and made it for the Evolution. It wasn't called the LANCER Evolution until Mistu got a hold of it. Our cars originate from the Dodge make and not the Japanese make. The evolution however came from japan.

The first American Mitsubishi "Lancer" (not evolution) was actually the Mirage. I'm going to end it right there before I am incarcerated for this. I just put the dots together with this one. All this can be found on the internet but it is a puzzle you'd have to put together. Im far from done figuring it out myself. Do not quote me on any of this as it is just a speculation but it so far is the most logical one I have read or come up with.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  6. DGJ08GTS

DGJ08GTS Active Member

I don't think engines have any bearing on what generation a car is.

7. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

I really don't think so either but then when you look at the Mirage and Lancer you basically have the same engine. Only real difference I see is the 1.6 liter vs. the 2.0 liter. So why take away the Mirage name and call it Lancer if it's basically the same vehicle minus the displacement? So would the Ralliart be considered a "Lancer" of the 7th generation? It's a completely different car except the body style from the 04-06. As you said engines dont have any bearing on what generation a car is but look at the 1st generation ralliart and the 2nd generation. I think the only reason those were different generations was because it indeed was a whole completely different car.

So the question I really have is...if the different types of engines don't make it a different generation then what does? Is it the body style or everything else? Such as interior, fwd vs. awd, wheel offsets, suspension?

8. davidlanceres

I went into this with 1 question...now I have dozens lol...I don't even know. I think we have yet to see the 9th generation..

9. DGJ08GTS

DGJ08GTS Active Member

I believe that is usually a MAJOR body change...take the mustang and camaro for example.

Camaro
    1st gen: 1967-69
    2nd gen: 1970-1981
    3rd gen: 1982-1992
    4th gen: 1993-2002
    5th gen: 2010-present

Mustang:
    1st gen: 1964-1973
    2nd gen: 1974-1978
    3rd gen: 1979-1993
    4th gen: 1994-2004
    5th gen: 2005-present

10. davidlanceres

Yea, I would agree with the major body change point...

Hell look at the Eclipse! No confusion there.

11. DGJ08GTS

DGJ08GTS Active Member

I think the biggest confusion as far as the Lancer goes is because of the cross branding (Dodge/Mitsu) as well as the numerous countries that the car has been marketed in.