1slowlance's '89 240sx

Discussion in 'Members Progress Reports' started by 1slowlance, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

So, went quite a ways, and a whole bunch of trailer trouble to get this thing. So, let's hope it works out for me. Got some big plans for it, biggest being sr20 in the future. It's got a few problems which was to be expected, but a running car for $1500 ain't too bad. Plus one that I wanted. It's got a header gasket leak, some broken bolts and ish, so I think I'm going to get the ka running right first for now, so I can drive it without it sounding like a diesel. Lol. It's a 5 speed in case you were wondering. It's hella low already. The stupid license plate bracket on the trailer kept getting hung up on the exhaust going on and off. I got a little angry. But, it's all unloaded and everything and in the driveway, so now I can actually deal with the problems instead of just the trailer problems. Anyways, on to the pictures. Ignore the gay rising sun thing on the headlight, that's one of the first things I'm changing. Lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. JDMhammer

JDMhammer Well-Known Member

Serious potential dude. Keep us up to speed on her.

KAMAKAZI!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Cuz it's how I roll...

3. mindbeats

mindbeats Well-Known Member

Nice!!!!! Can't wait to see this build progress

4. 1slowlance

I will definitely keep this updated more often than my Lancer. Believe it or not, those are Lincoln Town Car wheels. I've got an idea of how I want it to look, so I'll be slowly working towards that. Won't be doing anything major to it until after the swap, then I'll actually dive into it. As of right now, I'm just going to be getting parts to make everything work correctly like headlight motors, the header leak. It's got a HUD assembly for the speedo and tach, neither of which isn't working properly for some reason. He gave me an "analog" one, so I'll probably swap that out.

5. 1slowlance

So, not too much lately, but I got the HUD cluster out of the car and put the stock analog one in. Tach didn't work. The HUD is for a DOHC, SOHC over hurr. Already started adding sticker to it. Lol. Got the exhaust all taken off, and a new one on the way. Working on the broken stud in the exhaust manifold as well. After that, it should be running. I've found so many random little things on it. Random cut-ins on the stock harnesses going to little switches that dont do anything. Sigh. Some people. Anyways, on to the few pictures I have.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. 1slowlance

Just got a new shift knob for my non-running car. Looks sick to me. I love it, and it feels great. A guy on zilvia bought a bunch and drilled and tapped them up. Also, pictures of the exhaust and test pipe. In bags in the hatch along with a whole bunch of other crap I should go through. Lol. Hopefully it'll be on tomorrow, and running.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

When you gonna get her running?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

8. 1slowlance

The plan, as of right now, is tomorrow. I have all the exhaust components, and the tubing I was waiting on to put in place where I cut some emissions tubing stuff to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets. I didn't have any luck with trying to drill out that stud myself with the tools I currently have, so I think I'm going to take it to someone, and see how much they'd charge me. I just need that out, and I can replace it with what I have just like the other 7.

9. 1slowlance

So, exhaust is on, and runs. Terribly, but it runs. Lol. I didn't put all the tubing that I cut back on and what not, and it ran. I'm pretty sure it sounds terrible because of the exhaust leak at the header and the the leaks from the emissions tubes I cut. I'll try and get it to that shop next week maybe so they can get that broken stud out and maybe weld that tubing back in place or maybe they'll come up with a better idea than I have for it. Give me some feedback on what y'all think. Like it, don't like it, hate it, whatever. I love constructive criticism. Anyways, pictures:
    [​IMG]

Ground clearance? Who needs ground clearance?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

OK..heres the rundown:
    1. Like the car
    2. Love the tips you chose
    3. Makes me want to start another project car...especially since my niece totaled my eclipse.
    4. I'll give you 100 bucks for it. ha

11. 1slowlance

Glad you like it. I love the dual tip look, especially on s13s. I just want the header fixed, so it won't sound terrible and I can actually hear the exhaust and drive it regularly.

12. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Hangers. Get exhaust hangers. And daaaaaaaaaamn that hella low.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

13. 1slowlance

Funny thing is, when I replaced the exhaust, I replaced all the exhaust hangers as well. So, it's very rigid. I hit a few times in several places on the piping, and it barely moved, so that's good. The yellow piece you see in the picture is the new hanger. The old ones were all broken, and/or missing. The old exhaust was rounded on the top side, and flat on the bottom from getting scraped. Lol. Looked like the muffler got caught a few times too, it was kind of flattened as well.

14. 1slowlance

So, I raised the coils up a bit to get down the inclined driveway to take it to the shop today. For the plate and insurance, and by the time I raised it up, the shop was closed, so I decided to take it for a little drive and let Jen drive it. I drove around the block, let her get in and I'm pretty sure she mis-shifted or something, but it started running terribly. And a loud squeal when the clutch is pushed all the way in. Leads me to believe it's the throw out bearing. Not really sure what caused it, but I'll look into it some more. Yay.

15. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

You got a 240 as well? HA! I sold mine about 3 years ago. Had a sr swapped 92 and I gotta say it was a lot of fun. I'm actually in the market again for another 240 so if you ever need anything hit me up, I remember that car like the back of my hand and if I ever get some extra cash, I'll get another one and do the infamous RB swap or come completely insane and do something sinister instead.

16. 1slowlance

Cool. Forgot to mention the analog cluster doesn't work. I was almost sure it was going to read everything, but speedo and tach doesn't work. Not really sure what's wrong. The guy I bought it from told me that was the stock one, so idk.

17. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

Yeah check the connections. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. The connection might be loose OR the cluster is fried. IF you got $200 get a digital HUD. I had one that I sold a few years back, that was a mistake since I was going to drop into my 93 that I just picked up. Oh yes you and I both have 240's now. Check ur PM box

18. 1slowlance

I have a digital cluster. Changed it to the analog because the tach not the speedo worked on that one either. Lol. I think the reason for that though is because I've got a sohc, and the HUD is for a dohc. I'm thinking the analog is fried, the back did look kind of messed up, but don't want to buy a new one and have the same problem. I need to get to a pull a part and get some parts.

19. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

That's right you're stuck with KA24E not DE...SOHC is a pain in the butt lol. I vote KA24DET swap!

20. 1slowlance

Last update on this one. Look for a new pr for something new after I get this house and actually have time. Guy was really cool, and should be seeing the 240 at events and such still, so it's not totally gone. Might see it next weekend at a drift event getting sideways.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.