0W20 oil?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by sk13322, Feb 5, 2011.

1. sk13322

sk13322 Well-Known Member

If i read correct the books says the 2011 lancer calls for 0w20 oil? I used royal purple in my 08 spyder. I might switch brands because i havnt seen 0w20 around here much. Is this the right oil to run? I always use k and n gold filters. And the nook says to wait till 7500 miles to change the oil why??? I always change 3 months or 3000 miles even with sync. THANKS

2. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Well, If the Book is saying to run 20w oil, use it. I think its pretty odd for a manufacturer to recommend that as an oil, but I have an 04...so what do I know. As for change intervals...I run full synthetic and change oil every 5k miles or so. A lot of oils these days can go 5k miles with no problem, but recommend changing at 3k just to retain optimal performance of the fluid.

3. JDMhammer

JDMhammer Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly my service for oil changes on the 08 was every 6k

4. sk13322

yeah mine says 7500 miles for a oil change but i dont trust that syntectic or not. i always go by 3 months or 3000 miles cause the way i drive and where i live. worst case is i spend a lil more money on oil changes.

5. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

For older vehicles it is recommended to do an oil change every 3k miles with 10w30 or higher oil to keep the old gears well lubricated. For newer vehicles it isnt recommended for every 3k but rather every 5k-6k miles. There is no need to do the oil change at 3k because of the mileage. Once you hit 65k it is recommended to do so. As for the type of oil, that oil is a bit too synthetic for me.

6. sk13322

you mean 6500 miles not 65k lol i think and if i change it earily its a new motor so there might be some metal shavings, plus like i said i drive hard and live in a very cold place it was -13 today. worse cause a waste a lil money but its never going to hurt a car by changing the oil earily.

7. el lancer

el lancer Active Member

I do 5k on Penzoil plat with pure one filter

8. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

No. I meant 65k. When your engine hits that amount of mileage is when it is recommended to reduce the mileage that you change your oil.

9. sk13322

does penzoil make a 0w20 oil?