08 ES or 08-09 GTS? Read the fine print...

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by iStubz, Jun 26, 2011.

1. iStubz

iStubz Member

Alright, I'm in a HUGE pickle right now. To clear things up before they get foggy, my dad has an autoshop and buys cars from the insurance auctions. So right now I have an 08 Lancer ES in grey, still not registered and insured for me though yet. BUT now I have the option of getting a GTS model instead, and letting my dad sell the ES, but there's hardly any on the auctions right now, and it could be 1-2 months until there's a chance of buying one + repair time. I start school in 2 months and I'm already sitting through summer relying on other people... which I hate. Now my question is, is it worth it to wait for the GTS model (I have to keep the car for 3 years)? How big are the differences between the two, and are they noticeable?Ohh and if I keep the ES I could always put the GTS lips/sideskirts/wing on and buy wheels. But what would be the better way to go?

2. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Honestly Stubs....I would stick with the ES. If you're starting school within the next few months, and there isnt a 100 percent chance of a GTS....You may be stuck without a car. I would personally stick with what you have....Insurance will be a little cheaper, and as you said, all the GTS parts will bolt up to the ES....

3. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

^ This. I don't think there's any difference between the two performance-wise, it's all just cosmetic stuff. Which should be interchangeable.

4. iStubz

iStubz Member

Alright, I was just reading up on it, because i wanted to put 18"s on like on the GTS, but I guess the GTS suspension is different... Also it seems like the GTS comes more "loaded" on the inside? I mean there's about an 80% chance I'll have one right before school starts. Ohh and I guess this is normal but on the ES it feels like there's only 2 speeds, and it doesn't feel like 25mpg either... I love how it handles though.

5. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

20 hp difference, wheels, sound features. Stick with the es and upgrade. 2.0 engine (es) vs 2.4 (gts). Those are the only difference. Same bolt-ons, same gains +-2-3 hp. Not worth the price on the gts if you already have a lancer.

6. iStubz

iStubz Member

Well it won't be that big of a price difference, either way my dad makes money.

7. blueking_4

blueking_4 Well-Known Member

in that case, you should go GTS. I was debating between the two, and after I test drove both of them, I noticed a huge difference in handling alone. That was what sold me.

Honestly though, it's all in personal preference I think. Plus, not to mention a few of the "cosmetics" are different. B)

8. slickdevil08

slickdevil08 Well-Known Member

i agree with this post it would be cheaper to prob give the 2.0 booast that would own gts's lol

9. iStubz

iStubz Member

Well after doing a bit more research im going with the GTS, once I get it I'm going to black out the grill, get black 18" rims, and a complete sound system with 12" sub. (I have a ton of hook-ups) after that I'm gunna start going for performance enhancing upgrades and an evo hood.

10. slickdevil08

slickdevil08 Well-Known Member

cant wait to see ur build thread for that one then good luck with ur purchase! :)