plasti-dipping

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Customization' started by SoulEater13, Oct 19, 2011.

1. SoulEater13

SoulEater13 Well-Known Member

i'm new to this. i have a tarmac black lancer es and i want to know what colors do the plasti-dip come in and what could i plasti dip on my type of car. im trying to go with the black and blue theme. i have already painted most of the plastic parts in my engine bay with engine paint and it went on great and looks great.

2. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

I'm not sure...I think it comes in black, red, yellow, and blue. If all else fails, you could always cover the wheels in plasti, and then paint over it. Makes the paint removable in the future.

3. SoulEater13

sweet, thanks. i was looking on the autozone website and dont see plasti-dip. how would i go about aqcuiring it? plasti-dip stays onto the rims pretty well? i would like to do a blue rather than a front black out style grill. then i would use black on the rims if that really does stay on there. i have a kid so, alot of stuff i wanna do to this car has to be pretty cheap. if you have done stuff to your car that is great and cheap, i would love to know. i love my lancer and wanna give it some fizzazz and eventually some power.

4. blueking_4

blueking_4 Well-Known Member

They sell it at home depot, and possible Lowe's.

You may have to check around a lot of department stores.

5. SoulEater13

ok, thanks. i just wanted to see if anyone knew. i dont like going from place to place looking for it. i hate goose chasin. thanks.

6. slickdevil08

slickdevil08 Well-Known Member

lowes sells white and black and sometimes blue.

home depot only carries black

7. SoulEater13

yea i just went to home depot and picked up some black for my rims, will the black be good against my already black car??? has anyone tried that before? im gonna also get some caliper paint and do my calipers in blue. do yall know what else i could do to my car that is realitivley cheap?

8. Helix

Helix Wants Recaros

Word of advice for Plasti-dipping...very light coats, and avoid wind! Take your time.

9. SoulEater13

yea i hate the darn wind. i spray painted my engine cover, spark plug cover and fuse box cover on my patio with some random wind blowin and got my hand painted in blue. fun fun fun. so how do i get to post pics on here?

10. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

You can upload them to a photo hosting site like imageshack or tinypic and then copy the url of the photo and put it in img tags on here. That's how I do it anyways.

11. SoulEater13

i finally plasti-dipped my front end, like the evo. it looks great. better than i had really thought it would be. i also did my front rims and they look great. got some minor blemishes, but i dont feel like re-doing the whole thing. i need more for the rear rims, but thats for this next weekend. i dont know when i will get to my calipers. that seems like an all day job. i saw someone on here paint the silver trim inside their car, so i think i will do that too. it sucks that there is so much we can do cosmetically but not power-house wise.

12. jdmSTIG

jdmSTIG Guest

congrats bro. I felt the same way, does look hella good! lol

13. 1slowlance

How do ya'll go about the prep work for it? Clean off the surface with alcohol or just wash it like you would the car. I've got something planned.

14. SoulEater13

it looks really good, i finished up my rear rims and i gotta tell ya.......i turned alot of heads today drivin around. next task is getting some LED lights to replace OEMs. then paint my calipers and rotors, voltage stabilizer, fog lights, HID lights low then high. i think im leaning towards getting the Tsudo N1 axleback. ok and as far as prepping i just cleaned it up with some soap and water in some areas, i used the tire wet foam....(dont use that, keeps things way to shiney and wet. tape wont stick) or i heard you could use alcohol on it, but i wouldnt. dont know what it could do to clear coat. i prefered soap and water. tape off a very big area as you will get overspray farther than you think. spray first coat on then remove tape, let dry, tape off again and apply second coat. i did 4 coats on mine and it was a little pain tapping and retapping but its looks great. as far as rims go, you dont need to tape those. the dip comes off very easily on the tires.

15. 1slowlance

It's going to be on the paint. So, I'll just clean it like you said, with some soap and water. Only thing is why would you need to pull the tape off each time you respray?

16. SoulEater13

when i applied the first coat and let the tape stay for the drying. i peeled it off and some of the plasti-dip came off too.

17. 1slowlance

O alright. Peel it off each time to make sure it's all sticking well. I gotcha. I've got quite a large space to do, so I'll pick up 2 cans maybe 3 because I'll probably like to do more than just what I'm doing. Maybe some interior pieces as well.

18. SoulEater13

what are you planning on doin? do you have stock rims? i did mine and they look great against my black car. my silver trimming on the inside i plan on doin those in blue.

19. 1slowlance

It's a surprise, but it's going to be on the car, not rims. I got hubcaps. Lol. Don't think I'm shelling out a lot of money for this car anymore.

20. SoulEater13

oh ok, well post pics when you get them done. i work night shift now so im getting alot of important stuff done during the day, im backed up on alot of things. once im caught up i will take pics of my car and post them.