Installing AUX cable?

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by kokobeans, Jul 4, 2009.

1. kokobeans

kokobeans Active Member

Hey Guys,

I'd really like to play my Ipod in my Lancer, and I heard there's an OEM AUX cable out there? Anybody install it as aftermarket? Is it worth it, or a pain in the ass? My FM transmitter decided to die on me, and I"m really tired of the bad sound quality because of interference from other stations.

2. 2k8 ES

2k8 ES Well-Known Member

Hell no dude don't buy that thing! Go to Radio Shack and find something that has 2 RCA jacks (red and white like that plug into your tv, ONLY RED AND WHITE) and on the other end is the same as a headphone jack. It only costs like $20 rather than the $60 or whatever Mitsu charges you. Then turn your iPod all the way up and change the channel to AUX (either mode then AUX on Navi or hold down the "CD/MP3" button on non Navi). It's totally worth having the cord but don't pay more than 20-30 dollars.

1 more thing.. if they try to get you to buy the monster cable or whatever, dont get it. You just need the simplest red and white jack they have.

3. kokobeans

kokobeans Active Member

Awesome, how do I install this thing?

4. kokobeans

kokobeans Active Member

BY the way, I have a 2008 Lancer ES, so there's no port with the red and white thingies there in that little cubby in the front.

5. RALLIART

RALLIART Well-Known Member

This accessory cable from Mitsubishi will run you around $50 bucks, and is for the Lancer models that do not come from the factory with AUX jacks in the dash. This MP3 cable from Mitsubishi is a three-wire install, and the wires install into an existing harness pig-tail that plugs into the factory headunit. The install time will most likely take you around 30-45 minutes. Do not rush the install, you do not want to break any little plastic clips or damage any interior panels.

Here is what the cable kit includes:

[​IMG]

One zip-tie is also included for securing the black box to the wiring harness.

Step #1:

For the install of this cable, start on the passenger side of the Lancer. Remove the glove box. This is incredibly easy. Squeeze both sides of the glove box together, so that both stops will pop out from the housing. Now the glove box will drop all the way down, and can be set aside.

This step is also used for replacing the cabin air filter.

[​IMG]

Now you will need to remove a very small side panel, that sits on the right side of the glove box. There is one phillips-head screw, and two clips. Once the screw is out, pull the panel out slowly.

[​IMG]

Once that panel is removed, it is now time to remove the fake carbon fiber trim piece. There is one phillips-head screw all the way on the right side. Once this screw is removed, you will pull up on this piece very slowly. There are many plastic clips on this piece, so be careful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step #2:

Now it is time to work on the headunit area. Once the carbon fiber trim is removed, you will need to remove the hazard's switch bezel. There are three phillips-head screws on this little switch bezel. Once all three screws are out, there are two clips (one on each side), that will have to be squeezed in. While squeezing the sides in, pull the bezel out slowly. There is one harness connected to the back, and one flat-plug. Disconnect both, and set the bezel to the side.

[​IMG]

Step #2 (Continued):

Once that piece is removed, the headunit face plate can now be removed. This is very simple, but be very careful not to crack or break anything. The headunit face plate just pops out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the headunit assembly is revealed. There are four phillips-head screws holding this in place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remove the headunit assembly, and set it to the side. Now is time to work on the wiring harness:

[​IMG]

Step #3:

The harness we will be working on in this step is the 18-pin pigtail connector. This pigtail is missing quite a few wires in the DE/ES model. Follow the instructions supplied with the kit for correct installation of the wires. Removing the pigtail wiring lock is probably the most difficult part, and can be a little tricky. Here are some pictures of what the harness pigtail should look like when finished:

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Now you can just reverse the installation, and put everything back together.

Here are my finished pictures:

[​IMG]

6. 2k8 ES

2k8 ES Well-Known Member

Really? I've got the 2008 ES and mine has it. Although I got sun and sound too. It might be behind a door. Otherwise you'll have to do what ralliart said. Sorry didn't realize you didn't have the jacks.

7. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

"TRUST" Spend the money and get the wire harness from mitsu...it will save you a lot of headache in the long run

8. ThE_BaRbEr

ThE_BaRbEr Well-Known Member

anyone have a website link where i can buy this?

9. ThE_BaRbEr

Thanks for the link. im wondering though will this work with my iPhone?

10. bambam

bambam Well-Known Member

i bought this and paid only 25bucks and it was installed so just take it to an audio store and pay 25bucks if u wanna save time and hair

11. ThE_BaRbEr

Anybody know if this will work with the iPhone? i wanna be sure b4 i buy it.

12. bambam

bambam Well-Known Member

nah iphone doesnt work i tried lol sorry man iphone has different headphone insert size

13. ThE_BaRbEr

damn. what if i use a headphone jack adapter? the one that lets you use headphones with the normal size jack on the iPhone??

14. enkrypter_DJ

enkrypter_DJ Well-Known Member

so how did this project go?

15. bambam

bambam Well-Known Member

im sure thatll work fine bro as long as u can find a way to connect it it should be fine brada

16. stanley2

stanley2 Well-Known Member

Hi, do you need the security code for the radio when you unplug it?

Thanks

17. McShank

McShank New Member

I was curious if the Aux cable you got was the Ipod one or if there was a different one and If the install ralliart gave would work on 2010 DE models. Tired of not being able to listen to music from my phone *Droid X* and only being able to use the FM transmitter which the quality Sucks. I have gone to many places around my area looking for a double din to replace to get a different stereo with an aux jack but no one has them for 2010 and to install a cable that they have would cost me a good $500.

18. McShank

McShank New Member

Can anyone link me the cable that you guys use?

19. Cutterpillar

Cutterpillar Guest

G'day guys!

I am trying to update my car with an aux input, so I can listen to good quality music from my i-device.
    I found instructions below quite useful up until the point when I took my 18 pin pig tail connector our.
    Here in Aus it is wired in a different way!
    This is what it looks like in my car:
    http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5561/img98652.jpg

I also taken the picture of the serial numbers of my main unit, so maybe someone will give me an idea of how to do it.
    http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/3668/img98672.jpg

Thanks heaps!

PS By the way, McShank, here is your link:
    http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/?section=565#1370

Attached Files: