HOW TO: Remove Front Grill

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Knowledge Base' started by RedStar, May 19, 2008.

1. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

Well first we start of by taking off the top cover.

(This image is from projectlancer and it was done by Resolution)

[​IMG]

Once you take that top off you will see some screws inside. You only need to unscrew 5 of them. Two on the sides and one in the center. I know these pictures kinda suck so just use common sense and take a look at whats holding the grill.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now once you have those out you will need to break off 4 pins. here is a picture of one of them just to show you how it looks like. You will notice the other 3 very easily.

[​IMG]

Now once you done that you can pull your grill out.

[​IMG]

I do not have a picture of the back, but there will be 5 screws you have to unscrew, you should easily see which once I am talking about.

Now once you done that this is what you should have.

[​IMG]

What I did now was I washed and dried it off so there are not dirty spots. After that I rubbed it down with some rubbing alcohol. After this step what I did was I sprayed several layers of primer on it until I had a result I was happy with.

[​IMG]

Once the primer is nice and dry you can begin applying the color of your choice. I chose black.

[​IMG]

Once that is done you can finish it off by putting clear coat on top like I did or you can just leave it as is.

[​IMG]

2. gtsrunner3

gtsrunner3 Member

do u have to actually break the 4 pins off??
    ...bc i tried to take mine off the other day and i think the only way is by breaking them but i was unsure if i would be able to get it back on afterwards

3. Bryn1987

Bryn1987 Well-Known Member

from what i've read, the only way to take them off is by breaking off the pins, but they don't matter at all cuz u have the screws still to keep em on

4. blacksheep818

blacksheep818 Well-Known Member

you don't need to break off the pins. i didn't break them i just took my time and they all came out

5. JDMhammer

JDMhammer Well-Known Member

What kind of primer did you use?

6. AKVvirus

AKVvirus Well-Known Member

Good post man, this is how mine turned out.

[​IMG]

I used ultra flat black with no clear coat, pretty happy with how it turned out.

7. RedStar

Looks sexy =)

8. JDMhammer

Yo im doing this as we speak, ill post pix later tonight

9. JDMhammer

I finally finished it..
    [​IMG]

Check the link below on my sig. it will link to my site for more pix and throw me a comment on the app if you want.

10. RedStar

I love how aggressive our front ends look!

11. jacob1bc

jacob1bc Well-Known Member

+1

12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

mitsubishi tries to give us chrome accented grill thinking we'd like it and we go and do this to all of em. :wink:

13. RedStar

I dont understand why they dont just make these cars look tuned and sell them. Like get ideas from tuner shows and people and give out ideas on a new lancer an if people like it, release it. If not than design another kit. This way when peopel buy the stock lancers those who dont have money for aftermarket bodywork wont need to spend money on it.

14. Rob

Rob Active Member

Xenon Projector GTS

Thanks a lot for that post Red Star, it was very helpful. I'm going to get to work on that grille soon. I also want to buy and install xenon projectors. Do you or anyone else know a site or manufacturer that has them, or would the older lancer models ( 04-07) projectors fit the 08 lancer? Thanks....

--Rob

15. krisx11

krisx11 Member

is it possible to do this with a paintbrush lol, i dont have anything to spray it on with, but thats a really helpful How To nice job

16. JDMhammer

I would really suggest going to Home Depot or something to get a can of plastic primer and a can of plastic paint its really cheap like 8 bucks not even.

17. lancere

lancere New Member

Do u need to sand it down before puttin on the primer?

18. vszutu

vszutu Well-Known Member

WOW THANKS FOR THE HOW TO POSTING

19. vszutu

vszutu Well-Known Member

i took a look at my lancer today to remove the top are they screws or do they just pop off and pop back in ?