HOW TO: Chrome Lip your Front Bumper (Ralli Art Style)

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Knowledge Base' started by Knotikz, May 10, 2008.

1. Knotikz

Knotikz Well-Known Member

For this mod. You'll need the following items.

Rubbing Alcohol - $5 (Any Thrift/Drug Store)
    Rubber Gloves - $2-4 (Any Thrift/Drug Store)
    Shop Rag (I used an old Hand Towel)
    Chrome Molding $15 (Pep-Boys/Autozone)

Total Price - $15 to $25

------------------------------------------------

Frist of all, This is the Chrome I picked up.
    [​IMG]

If you notice in the upper right corner. I went with 1/4". (That's 1 quarter of an inch.. For those who are still learning fractions.)

For you blind people,
    [​IMG]

My reason for this? I wanted a subtle chrome look. There are larger sized gauges out there. I saw a 3/4" size and thought it was too big. So this choice is all up to you. Go big or go subtle.

First thing you're going to want to do. Take some rubbing alcohol and clean the bumper where you plan to apply the chrome.
    [​IMG]

I went over the area a few times, just to make sure I got all the small bits of dirt off. It's been some time since I last washed my car. (If you havn't noticed)

Once you've completed this step. You're kinda going to want to open up the package of chrome. It's really easy. Look, I did it. All by myself.
    [​IMG]

Once you've graduated from that step. You're onto the next part. Putting the chrome to work! I chose to start it right next to my license plate holder. It's a small area and leaves room for error.
    [​IMG]

So what you do, is peel back a bit of the plastic wrapper and begin to apply it, slowly. Make sure it's nicely aligned.

My advice? Peel it back as you go. Don't unwrap it all at once.
    [​IMG]

Just follow the curve of your bumper as you go. Take your time and keep it steady.
    [​IMG]

As you follow the edges. Don't be afraid to step back and give it a look. Make sure it's nice and aligned.
    [​IMG]

Eventually. You'll come to the realization, that you've gone around the entire bumper. Congrats!
    [​IMG]

At this point. You're going to want to measure where the chrome starts. That's where you're going to want to make your cut. I made mine slightly too short.
    [​IMG]

Once that's done. Give your chrome a good rub down. Securing it firmly to the bumper. Step back and take a look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jae_

jae_ Member

You are awesome. THANK YOU! I'll be needing this tutorial soon :D

3. Keeeent

Keeeent Well-Known Member

Why did you do it inside your grille? I'd rather do it outside it.

4. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

nice job...but its hard to see...is it because its a white car?

5. SoflaGTS

SoflaGTS Well-Known Member

personally i like it on the darke colors heres mine
    [​IMG]

6. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

what thickness is that?

7. Looks alright to me...EZ enough right?! lol

8. Knotikz

Knotikz Well-Known Member

I wanted to go for the subtle look.

I'm going to re-do it tomorrow. I drove it around today and realized, I can barely see it. Maybe it's the Chrome on White contrast. I wanted subtle, but not THAT subtle.

I'll do it tomorrow on the outside and post up new pics.

9. vik2rius

vik2rius Well-Known Member

nice..looking badass there my friend...ill be doing that too pretty soon...nice diy...

10. Geaux

Geaux Well-Known Member

Yeah, for some reason the chrome just doesn't fit a white car. 'We' look better with the blacked out fronts, but the darker colors especially BLACK look the best with the chrome.

11. SoflaGTS

SoflaGTS Well-Known Member

yea im gonna order the de grill and then black out the front

12. ejlancer

ejlancer Well-Known Member

mine came out good, but im going to have to get a new top grill cause the paint isnt sticking to the chrome part
    but mine came out good, a few thousand miles on it still looking the same

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. batzr

batzr Member

gotta look for 'em chromes here man,i like that look 8)

14. batzr

batzr Member

gotta look for 'em chromes here man,i like that look 8)

15. DirectorSe7en

DirectorSe7en Well-Known Member

....and so it begins... 8)

16. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

Hey you guys i got all the materials ready but now ran into a small issue. How to i take out that middle grill area so I can paint it black before I begin the taping?

17. Geaux

Geaux Well-Known Member

The middle bumper? You can't, unless you take the whole bumper off. If you are painting, just mask the area off and cover other areas with newspaper. I went the vinyl route though, so I skipped all those steps haha.

18. WillieetheOne

WillieetheOne Well-Known Member

I have the DE got the sport body package. I also got rims mine are copper/goldish. I dont have any chrome on the front. Sooo ive noticed everyone is doing silver, what about gold i myself think it would look different and just might work with my rims. I think i just might give it a try.

19. 08Lancer89

08Lancer89 Well-Known Member

when you paint your grill did you guys frist sand it then put a few coats of primer on then sand the put final paint?? I picked up some dupicolor trim paint today and sandable primer. still looking for the chrome trim.

20. 08Lancer89

08Lancer89 Well-Known Member

ejlancer what thickness chrome trim did you get