Feeding power cable through firewall

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by arc, Feb 27, 2008.

1. arc

arc Well-Known Member

G'day guys just wanting to know anyone who has installed an amp into there car where about did they feed the powercable through the firewall and pics if you can...

Cheers

2. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

I got my system installed in my Lancer but when I had my Civic, booo...yeah yeah I know, I drilled a new hole and sealed it with a firetartant...mispelled I'm sure...fire proof shit basically. Another way is just feed it through a preexisting hole with other cables

3. Xeri

Xeri Well-Known Member

I spent agest trying to figure a way to route the cable thru in the end the easiest way was going thru the side door grommet, i know its not ideal but the car was starting to annoy me bad. These new cars are becoming more and more of a pain to modify -_-

ps: i heard there is a way to actually route it properly under the car by the side wheel cover but honestly it was just too much work plus i don't have a proper garage =|

4. Texas Aggie

I personally wouldn't run the wire anywhere else but through the firewall. Just doesn't seem safe. There should be a how to or something of the sort on this forum somewhere. use the search function and check it out. I know someone had pics of an install somewhere around here

5. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

There is a plug on the drivers side that you can go through.

6. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

if theres a hole in the firewall already like serious said, use a RUBBER GROMMET.itll be safe and clean.

7. nanonyc

nanonyc Well-Known Member

well... this is where I did mines... have to fix it any ways.... as you can see the rubber is pressing on the cable ....

[​IMG]

8. lancered

/\ do you have the base stereo?did you use a convertor?howd u hook it up?

9. SeRious08

The rubber grommet is already there. You just feed it through it.

10. nanonyc

check out how I did it... just keep safety first.... this is the way I did it... just dont make the same mistake... I did... dont run the power cable driver side... go the other way around... passanger side... I will be fixing it...

I used a High to Low converter... dont run the RCA CABLE close to power Cables..

http://www.lancertuners.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=610

11. grizbone

grizbone Well-Known Member

Whats wrong with running it drivers side?

12. Texas Aggie

the cables will be too close to one another and cause a signal distortion. You'll be able to hear a whine everytime you accelerate...ALL THE TIME...not sure if this is prevalent to Mitsus but it happened to my Civic

13. prcdslnc13

prcdslnc13 Well-Known Member

ok well I was going to write a tut on this whenever I got a chance but heres a quick run down. I never found a good grommet in the firewall so I made a spot. If you get down in the drivers side foot well theres a place in the kick panel where you can see the fire wall.
    now on the outside of the car drop the weather sheilding above the drives side front tire and you will be able to see inside the fenderwell and the engine bay. Have someone get inside the car and tap on the firewall with a screw driver. You should be able to hear the screw driver and verify youll have a clean run. Its a real bi*** to get a clean angle to drill it but its a great place to run it if you can. This allow you to sun the cable along your fender and get a nice clean run to the battery. I can post pics soon if you need them. PM me with questions.

14. Texas Aggie

^ That sounds like a great idea...done this before eh? lol

15. prcdslnc13

prcdslnc13 Well-Known Member

my good friend owns a shop and Ive been installing for him for about 5 years so yea a few times lol. It took us a while to find this it was the best solution we came up with. Better then the tutorials Ive seen so far lol

16. playa213xx

playa213xx Well-Known Member

thats right brotha...i do installs too and thats the way i did it. drilled a hole through the firewall into the fenderwell and ran it up into the engine bay....of course i sealed the hole off but it worked out perfect...i have the sun and sound package and if you do as well you can tap your line-out converter to the factory subwoofer. Dismount that and there should be four wires. Blue? Red? Yellow? Black? i believe....tap into those four and if there is a ground on the converter just snip it off....you won't need it. If you don't have the factory subwoofer then i'm not sure if the wires are still there or not....its quite possible they are but just not connected to the harness on the back of the subwoofer.

17. SeRious08

Thats not cuased by just running the wires on the drivers side. There are numerous reasons you can get "engine noise" through the system.

18. lancered

if you have the aux. cable hooked up with the base stereo,there is engine noise.SUCKS

19. nanonyc

it happens usually when you run your power cable together with the RCA audio cable... or somethimes with the speaker cables.... thats why... usually.... but just listen to what KRU has to say... he has more eperiance in the AUDIO section....

20. SeRious08

And you think I don't? I have been in the business for 17 years and have ran my own business going on 8 years now.

Again, there are numerous reason for noise. Even a poor grounding point can cause "noise" in the audio system.