Coilovers vs. New struts with Lowering Springs

Discussion in '7G Lancer and older - Suspension' started by 03 ES GUY, Mar 11, 2011.

1. 03 ES GUY

03 ES GUY Well-Known Member

I've searched everything on coilovers, I dont want to spend a thousand dollars on suspension that is for hardcore performance.

I just want to lower my car less than 2 inches and still be able to DD it for the next few years before I even have to think about replacing my struts again because of the drop on the springs. Please dont tell me to search on it because I have can't find a good informative thread on 7g lancers being DD and lowered without consequence. I would just like to receive advice, opinion, etc.. Thanks a bunch guys

2. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

If you plan on keeping it a DD, I would saygo with lowering springs. There are a lot of companies making coilovers that are very well capable of daily use, but since you don't want a large drop...save your money. As for lowering spring opinions...you have tons. Most performance springs have less than a 1.5 drop, so you can get a nice stance while keeping the stock shocks and struts. If its time for shocks and struts...just replace everything at the same time. It will save you the headache of taking the suspension apart more than once.

3. Sinestra

Sinestra Well-Known Member

Springs are a nice and cheaper than coils. Your struts are not going to go in 2 years with a conservative drop (1.5 or so). I have RRM GRIP springs which are basically the same as Progress springs. However if i had to make the decision over again i would have gotten coils and still might eventually. The fact that they are adjustable and you will never have to replace any of your suspension parts is a plus. Also, coils just look sick and you can decide how much you want to drop it. Slam it in the summer and then raise it back up in the winter.

4. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

I agree with both of you. Although if the op is above 90k miles on his suspension and drives aggresive/casual then he may need new shocks as well. Where I have seen the gyb replacement shock are $400 and most name brand springs are 200. That brings him to 600. This is assuming you don't get ebay springs. Coils for a lancer the cheapest I've found are. 879 shipped to your house. True new shocks and struts give you oem feel but coils can also give you that. True they are a bit stiffer. But most setups let you adjust how firm or soft they ride and let you adjust height.

Where as spring/strut setup only let's you adjust your height from oem to what the springs are. Springs/struts are a good buy for the average joe. Coils are for those who drive aggressive. Also, if you have crappy roads like I do the stray away from coils. I got my coil overs and still don't regret it.

Although, the roads of suffolk are mean. I also, didn't like the fact that I had to break my sway bar bushings to get the rears on. But that happened because of rust. So yea.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

5. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

+1 with the springs. if you are not going to use the coilovers for its true purpose of rallys and autocross

6. 03 ES GUY

Well, My budget starts at 475 because I have that in cash from selling stuff. So my budget can go bigger. I want to get coilovers, but I drive alot (100-200 miles/day) and dont want to beat up a set of $1000 suspension in one summer. Like jog, I have really crappy roads here. but, I've read that KYB struts crap on ya after a few years with lowering springs?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  7. lancer2quick

Well, On my original KYB's, I got around 116k out of them when the driver side strut died on me(I just waited too long to replace them). My roads are pretty bad around here as well...so I think they survived pretty well for what I drive on. Shocks and struts need to be replaced every 75k or so anyways. I've changed the shocks and struts on my mom's 03 eclipse twice, and she's coming close to 200k on that thing. I figure spending 350 bucks every 6 years isn't too terrible.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  8. Jogenmaru

It take about 500 miles to actually break in the coils. the first day when you put them on you will see it sits pretty good and high. The night I went to work after I put them on my car sank. I mean it dropped an extra 2 inches. When I got out I was like...."holy shit....did I not tighten something up?" But I was normal. I forgot the springs arent compressed or pre broken into. Sorta like new shoes. The spring break in after one drive. The shocks on the other hand take a bit. Just dont go crazy as soon you get them. Your asking to break em.

Oh and since your doing suspension stuff. I want to warn you about the tie rods for lancers. They normal start going out at 90k. Mostly on the passenger side. So be weary of that. They arent too expensive to fix either.

9. 03 ES GUY

So which kind of KYB's handle lowering springs the best?

and thats another thing jog I was wanting to ask you guys, I'm wondering because I get ALOT of rattling sounds in the front end @55mph and up??? I'm guessing either Control Arm Bushings or Tie rods, etc?? How do I check for failing tie rods? just move the tire in a certain direction?

10. 03 ES GUY

Alright. So I'm going with KYB GR2's and Progress Springs off Auto City Imports. Good Choice?

11. Jogenmaru

Yes! Make sure you get the right struts and springs. The es/la lancers have different suspension than the oz rally.

12. 03 ES GUY

lol. trust me jog. i've seen almost every suspension setup since i've researched all this lol. I should be ordering everything within two weeks. Will I be using the stock front top mounts with the new springs and struts???

13. lancer2quick

You will use the OEM parts:
    Tophat (13)
    Upper mount (08)
    Bump stop (12)
    Dust cover (11)
    Lower ring (09)

There is a rubber ring on the upper mount that will probably stick to the spring...just re-install it to the upper mount when you get the new springs

[​IMG]

14. 03 ES GUY

Thanks a bunch man. should i just get those OEM parts brand new? or do you think the ones i have now will be sufficient?

15. 03 ES GUY

Alright, I think instead of doing ES kyb struts, i'm going with OZ Rally/LS Struts so finding struts and springs is a bit broader

16. lancer2quick

Good choice. There are a lot more options for the non-ES lancer. Let us know what you end up going with

17. 03 ES GUY

Well, a guy at Advance Auto Parts yesterday told me that he has Monroes on his lancer and they sustain the wear and tear of lowering springs better than the KYBs would. I also have a buddy that works for Michel Tires Plus and he has a discount with Advance Auto. So we figured out the price giving me a total price of 300 bucks for all four struts and shocks. I'm just going to have to get different top mounts for the front struts right?

18. Jogenmaru

No, you will need the rears as well.

19. 03 ES GUY

Alright, are these parts i should get from a junkyard?? or get new OEM from autozone

20. Jogenmaru

Me personally I would do all new but if you get the tophats used it shouldn't make a difference. All the other parts I would get new.