Bakwoods new project: AE92

Discussion in 'Other - General Information' started by bakwoods, Dec 13, 2011.

1. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

Got my hands on an AE92 for FREE. Lucky me, I know right. Well it needs quite a bit of cutting, welding, etc. I'm considering several options, including the 4A-GZE swap, or I could go all out and try to 3S-GTE swap. Though converting the tranny to FWD is a pain in the ballz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

Sick. Stick with RWD. Much cooler in those light little cars, not to mention easier to drift. Lol. Why would you want to go from RWD to FWD anyways?

3. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

Hahaha, trust me, I had no idea it was an AE92. In fact I was under the impression it was an AE86 since I first saw the car, but after digging, I realized there was no LSD or drive train to the back. It didn't help that I wasn't aware of what I had until I dug the car out, winched it out with a flat bed, and went back home. She's still dirty as hell, but it'll be a nice car to drive around regardless. I'm not as concerned with making it RWD as I am with just making it run and run WELL.

Alternatively, I could try to make it RWD but it'd cost a butt load of money to do. Hmmm. Anyone want to donate to the "Anton wants a really nice car but can't afford it so he's mooching off his fellow LT members for support fund"??? For every $1,000 you donate, you get this nifty grocery tote.

4. 1slowlance

Oh alright. I was thinking it was RWD like the 86s are. That sucks, but is still a pretty cool project car. Especially for free.

5. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

Yeah it's a good idea. Here's a thought. 4G63T swap. Yes, no, maybe so? Just gauging ideas. I know where to get the motor, tranny, ECU, wiring, etc. That's an easy $1,500 right there plus s/h.

The issues is mounting the SOB into the car and then deciding IF I need the hub assembly from the car as well to swap over. I'm not your standard issue fabrication guy, I don't just think outside the box....I tear it up.

I figure while I'm down and dirty, I'll get the rest of car redone nicely too. Swap the entire inside wiring from another DSM into the Rolla. It'll be the first ever AE 4G? Just a thought. I like the idea of cross platform swaps.

6. 1slowlance

Your main problem I see is making sure it all fits in the engine bay. And then making new motor mounts and everything. The 63t was in the older Evos, correct? Or was that the turbo'd Eclipse motor?

7. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

Turbo eclipse as well as the Evos. I think the only difference was the size of the turbo itself. I'll have to determine that. Today going to get a key for the car and fire her up hopefully.

8. 1slowlance

How long has it been sitting, any idea? Gotta worry about the stale gas in the tank if it's been a while. It doesn't look too bad as far as being dirty goes. Looks as if it was kept somewhat inside.

9. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Trust me, I know about bad fuel. The blazer that I snagged from my father in law had been sitting for at least two years....when I put the new fuel pump in, the fuel looked like weak coffee.

10. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

The 4G63T were in the first gen (90-94) & second gen (95-99) eclipse. They continued onto with the evo 7-9, with the 9 having mivec. If you do decided to drop this engine, you would have to frankenstein it...meaning you would have to really think out the box

My suggestion is to make sure their is no serious damage to the frame and such, get it running and take it from there. Go to a junk yard and search there for parts.

and congrats on the new project...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  11. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

Thanks. The gas is going to be shot completely along with the oil. The important thing is to get the car started somewhat get it onto jack stands or ramps to drain the fluids. The front end needs to be fixed. Local repair shop might able to help me with that. No structural damage that I know of so far. Needs mess of body work and welding. I'm confident that I can get the 4G63T in there, it's just a matter of figuring out HOW to do it lol. Who knows...can you say AWD conversion lol
    Just kidding, just kidding

12. 1slowlance

AWD would be sick. A lot of times the main problem with engine swaps like you're planning on doing isn't if it'll fit, they're both 4 cylinders, so they're close to the same size already. Just, I don't think anyone makes any engine mounts for an AE92 engine swap to a 63t. Lol. You'll probably have to get a lot of stuff custom made if you go all the way through with it. Which, isn't all bad.

13. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

Well made some progress. Car will crank but not start. Also learned that my neutral safety switch is messed up. Or is it clutch safety switch? I can crank the car without the clutch pedal pressed in lol. Makes it really interesting.

Need to drain the oil one of these days lol. I keep forgetting to do it. Anyone wanna swing by and help me get started?

14. 1slowlance

I definitely would, if not for the 10 states in the way. :/

15. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

Halfsies on the gas to drive up? Plus all the beer you could guzzle.

But seriously there's no fuel to the rail. I think it'd be time right about now to drop that tank and check the pump. Will keep you posted. I think after New Years I'll jump on this project. Till then it'll sit around. I work 70+ hrs a week, so I'm lucky to have time to scratch my ass let alone drop a tank.

16. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

Progress has been made. Well it's been a month and I finally got around to draining the fluids once again and dropping the tank. Pump is shot. I redneck tested it by attaching jumper cables to the battery and the other end to the pump. Sure enough under 12V it'll spin, but anything less than that it won't respond.

Even then I'll have to check the plug while someone pops the key into ACC to hear it prime, I wonder if it's sending a signal to prime the pump even. Because if not that'll be a whole problem within itself.

Looks like rotors and calipers are in desperate need of replacing. I mean completely seized. New wheel bearings, new calipers, pads. I might as well dump a G and get new coil overs while I'm under there lol.

I really got to post some pics of this ugly thing. The body style is still pretty cool which I why I wanted to work on it. My next goal is to fix the front end. It looks like cosmetic damage mostly, so I'll just need to find fenders and a bumper and two new pop up headlight assemblies.

17. 1slowlance

I had a feeling the rotors/pads would be pretty much just one piece. Lol.

18. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

It gets better. The fuel return line just broke off when installing the tank back into place. It's one thing after another with this car. I might as well buy a Honda lol.